Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink String Gauges Poll

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 518 19 Next

dp

diceophonic
Do you know if Pyramid makes my size and roundwound?? I would like to to try a set out Guitar

go to www.juststrings.com and see what's in their store....i bet you'll find what you're looking for...

Awesome thank you!

-Kyle

Beyond The Surf YouTube channel
Beyond The Surf Instagram
The Verbtones @ Instagram
The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

Kyle, DON'T get these. or do so at your own risk. they suck big big big time.

Living in Europe, Pyramid strings are relativly cheap for me so I tried these. these are actually dead cheap over here, but they are just really really bad. If you want nickel roundwounds, the roto's are the way to go, imho.

WR

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

WR
imageKyle, DON'T get these. or do so at your own risk. they suck big big big time.

Living in Europe, Pyramid strings are relativly cheap for me so I tried these. these are actually dead cheap over here, but they are just really really bad. If you want nickel roundwounds, the roto's are the way to go, imho.

WR

thanks for the info re: crappy pyramid rounds...i have never seen a set in usa...

i absolutely agree with WR re: rotosound nickel rounds...they're the best!

-dp

dp

WR
imageKyle, DON'T get these. or do so at your own risk. they suck big big big time.

WR

thanks for the info re: crappy pyramid rounds...i have never seen a set in usa...

i absolutely agree with WR re: rotosound nickel rounds...they're the best!

-dp

Thanks DP I'll check around Very Happy

-Kyle

Beyond The Surf YouTube channel
Beyond The Surf Instagram
The Verbtones @ Instagram
The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

I just switched from 10-52's to 12-56round and i never expected it to make the difference it has,I'm loving the full,warm tone they give.
The 3 wound strings don't feel much different but the 3 plain are way better,something to actually grab hold of.

Jazzmasters/Jaguars: D'Addario Chromes 12-52 flats

'62 Duo Sonic/Wilson Bros. VM-65 & 75: D'Addario Chromes 11-50 flats

Strats: DR Hi-Beam or Tite-Fit 11-50 roundwounds

Basses: Thomastik-Infield Jazz .043-.100 flats

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

WR

WR

funny how the Pyramid Roundwounds have such a poor reputation, while the Pyramids Gold Flats have an outstandingly positive reputation...at least with me they do. The Pyramid Gold Flats sound and feel terrific...

-dp

well dp, the pic posted above comes from my retailer's site. they are also very very cheap, like around $5 a set. strangly, pyramid.com, the us pyramid site, doesn't list those, but has these roundwounds listed

which seems to be a different kind, Im pretty sure the ones I mentoined first are steel. or maybe iron Wink

they also have a $12 suggested retail price. not sure

the european (german) pyramid site does list the ones I mentioned first, AND mentione these ones

which might or might not be the ones from the green package in the US in a different package.

I have heard people raving about thepyramid rounds, pretty sure not the blue ones, but the others I havent tried and suspect they are good.

eitherway, all I can say is, stay away from the blue ones. and pyramid has either a very nifty cross-continental marketing scheme going on, or has a completly lsd'ed out-of-this-world pink-elephant-sightng moron as a webmaster.

WR

Rules to live by #314:

WR
Im pretty sure the ones I mentoined first are steel. or maybe iron Wink

The blue ones are nickel-plated steel. Product description from saitenkatalog.de:

PYRAMID Nickel-Plated Steel Round Wound Strings.

Premium nickel-plated steel wire is wound on proofed hexagon steel core.
Our strings are guaranteed hand wound in the old traditional way.

I have the blue Pyramid roundwounds on my mini Mosrite as well as on my Excellent 65 and think they are nice strings for roundwounds... Maybe you got a bad set?

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

ha, now your cheatin' Klas, that's the description for the other roundwounds, not the blue ones. Wink

but you're right, I saw now, the blue ones are also nickel, this is the description:

Superior-Quality Electric Guitar Strings

PYRAMID Maximum Performance, nickel round wound strings are round wound strings that sing !
Our hand wound, pure nickel round wound strings are superlative electric guitar strings made with only the finest materials !
PYRAMID electric guitar strings are perfectly balanced with easy response, flexible, pleasant to play. They are super musical strings with an extra long playing life.

Our pure nickel round wounds produce an excellent tone and timbre, great for all types and styles of music. PYRAMID strings are simply more musical !

Ive used a lot of sets of these and so do my friend guiatrists. it is possible though that the online retailer I get 'em from gets b-choice. or it is possible that they've been stacking 'em in teh warehouse for years and years and no one orders them. face it, pyramid is not realy a well known brand. so perhaps Ive been using 15 year old stock and it has compromised the strings?

most likely though, it's a matter of taste. they don't sound nearly as full as roto's, and they have a nasty rough feel to them, at least the ones I used, like they are coroded. or a combination of all. but it's just my opinion. not fact, of course

curious where you buy them Klas, and how much you pay. I got 'em from thomann for E2,99 for a set of 10's and E3,55 for a set of 11's - that's idiculously cheap, but they sell the golds 11's for 11,60, which also isn't much and those are good quality.

Klas, if you're ever in the netherlands, pay me a visit and we'll get to the bottom of this!

WR

Rules to live by #314:

I buy them from Saitenkatalog.de. The black and red package you posted above has the same description as the blue ones although the former only seems to come in .009s. Also, have to admit that I don't have that much experience with roundwounds since I use flatwounds in general. Was thinking about trying Rotosounds for my recently purchased Mosrite but the "artwork" on the package totally put me off...

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

saitenkatalog must have screwed up, although pyramid's sites are no good either.

eitherway, I love roto's, but then again I dont have a mosrite and eitherway, the surfites have incredible guitarsounds so Im not gonna dispute your strings if you're happy with 'em. Rock whatever works works.

WR

Rules to live by #314:

WR
eitherway, I love roto's, but then again I dont have a mosrite and eitherway, the surfites have incredible guitarsounds so Im not gonna dispute your strings if you're happy with 'em.

Thanks, although we only use Jaguars or Jazzmasters with Pyramid Gold flatwounds in the Surfites.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

I have used the D'Adarrio 12/52 Chromes for years on both my Jazzmasters and Jaguars, but of late, I seem to be having bad luck getting good sets of strings. My experience has been that when you first put these on your guitar, they sounded like crap, thin and metalic. Then after about 3-8 hours or so of playing, they came into their own with that warm, smooth, thunky sound. At this point, most sets stayed pretty stable for maybe 20 to 40 hours of playing when the 6th string would go completely dead and sound like a piece of rope. Time to change 'em out. However lately I've had sets that just plain sounded dead, wouldn't tune very well or never got "thunky" at all. Figure? I am really put off by buying a $20 or so set of strings, so the Piramids seem a bit pricey. The last sets I picked up were Labella's and I have yet to try them out. Any Ideas guys? ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

eddiekatcher
I am really put off by buying a $20 or so set of strings, so the Piramids seem a bit pricey. The last sets I picked up were Labella's and I have yet to try them out. Any Ideas guys? ed

The Pyramid Golds are kind of pricey, but I have found 'em on the EBAY, three sets for US $40 or so ($13-$14 a set)...maybe if D'Addario aren't working for you, perhaps you can give GHS, Thomastik, Ernie Ball, or Dean Markley a try...those brands don't cost too much, especially if you're experimenting...

best wishes,
-dp

eddiekatcher
The last sets I picked up were Labella's and I have yet to try them out. Any Ideas guys? ed

I have used LaBella's on the Mosrite bass and on the Yamaha accoustic/classical guitar...they sound swell...

i haven't tried them out on the SurfGuitar, though...be sure to let us know what you think...

-dp

eddiekatcher
I have used the D'Adarrio 12/52 Chromes for years ... My experience has been that when you first put these on your guitar, they sounded like crap, thin and metalic. Then after about 3-8 hours or so of playing, they came into their own with that warm, smooth, thunky sound.

I don't know if this goes for all flatwounds but it definitely does for Pyramid Golds. From the product description:

They are just amazing strings that take 3-4 days to arrive their final best tone and timbre and then stay that way for an unreasonably long long time.

My experience is that it even takes longer before they start to sound good.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

eddiekatcher
I have used the D'Adarrio 12/52 Chromes for years on both my Jazzmasters and Jaguars, but of late, I seem to be having bad luck getting good sets of strings. My experience has been that when you first put these on your guitar, they sounded like crap, thin and metalic. Then after about 3-8 hours or so of playing, they came into their own with that warm, smooth, thunky sound. At this point, most sets stayed pretty stable for maybe 20 to 40 hours of playing when the 6th string would go completely dead and sound like a piece of rope. Time to change 'em out. However lately I've had sets that just plain sounded dead, wouldn't tune very well or never got "thunky" at all. Figure? I am really put off by buying a $20 or so set of strings, so the Piramids seem a bit pricey. The last sets I picked up were Labella's and I have yet to try them out. Any Ideas guys? ed

I've always used D'Addario Chromes on my Jag and JM and they work pretty well on those.
But, recently I tried out a set of Thomastik flats on my Mosrite because the Chromes were way too dead sounding on that guitar and roundwounds were a bit too harsh, but the Thomastiks were the perfect balance. Brighter than the Chromes because they're nickle instead of steel.

So now I'm thinking of trying out the Thomastiks on the Jag too. They're a bit pricey $12-13 a set but they seem like they're gonna last a while and I don't change strings often anyway.

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

A recent Guitar Player magazine had a review of Snake Oil Brand nickel roundwound strings which were designed to be 'vintage' sounding. Check out the review here.

I'm thinking of checking them out...

Ivan

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

skeeter

eddiekatcher

I've always used D'Addario Chromes on my Jag and JM and they work pretty well on those.
But, recently I tried out a set of Thomastik flats on my Mosrite because the Chromes were way too dead sounding on that guitar and roundwounds were a bit too harsh, but the Thomastiks were the perfect balance. Brighter than the Chromes because they're nickle instead of steel.

So now I'm thinking of trying out the Thomastiks on the Jag too. They're a bit pricey $12-13 a set but they seem like they're gonna last a while and I don't change strings often anyway.

I had the opposite results. I thought the D'Addario flats were too bright because they were stainless and the nickel Thomastiks gave a more thuddier/muddier sound. I've had 1 set Thomastik 12s on my Jaguar for 18 months now, they just get better with age.

"as he stepped into the stealthy night air... little did he know the fire escape was not there"

https://www.facebook.com/reluctantaquanauts/
https://www.facebook.com/TheDragstripVipers/

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 518 19 Next