Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Review - The Little Kahuna Reverb / Tremelo Unit

Page 1 of 1

Ok - Surf guitar Gerus and officiandos out there. I got the chance this past Friday to take a trip down to Billy Zoom's Amp Shop ("Billy Zoom Sounds") to try out his new custom "Little Kahuna" reverb / tremelo unit. There to greet me was none other than the man himself! He invited me inside and pointed to several already built units and told me to pick one to try out. Of course on behalf of all you traditionalists, I picked out a blond unit, and we proceeded to get setup.

I have to admit, I assumed I would get to use one over the weekend with my own personal setup, ( a mistake on my part) and did not take any of my personal guitars, so Billy set me up with one of his personal shop guitars, through a solid state Randall amplifier ( I believe that was what it was). More about that in a minute. Back to the unit itself. Talk about gorgeous! These units are very clean and built extremely well. Billy builds and hand wires each one himself with high quality components. He let me take a peek inside one. Very sano... Even the graphics on the face plate are cool and capture the surf / tiki vibe.

Ok so now to the sounds. Basically the guitar I got to play was equipped with P-90 style pickups. Again the amp was solid state. First - the contols on the front of the unit consist of four knobs , ala Jaguar. The first two knobs are the drive and depth knobs for the reverb. The depth knob pulls out introducing more high frequencies and more detail. The second two knobs are depth and speed for the tremelo. Now I have to say, this thing sounds sweet! Even through a solid state amp.

The reverb goes from subtle to down right huge. Pulling the depth knob out does add detail and that drip we all crave. Billy had me try one with a Mod tank and one with an Accutronics tank. I personally preferred the Accutronics as I felt it had a little more detail, while the Mod was a little warmer. The tremelo is itself is awesome. I play through blackface amps and am used to the bug optocoupler trem. This is way deeper and warmer than anything I've heard. I believe it is based on the same design as in the blonde showman amps. From slow to fast settings the trem is luscious.

The unit comes with an off / on switch for both. Switching it on and off , no audible popping or hum of any kind was heard. For those of you that prefer playing the normal channel on your vintage blackface and miss the vibrato (tremolo) but hate the loss of gain, this unit is definitley a great way to go. While these are not a vintage reverb tank, they are definitely an awesome alternative and get you pretty darn close not to mention sweet sounding tremolo! And...while I'm saving towards a new amp, this will definitely be something I'll be looking to in the future. Billy offers these units in black or blonde but indicated he can do customs.

For pricing and details, he can be contacted at billyzoom@billyzoom.com Check them out!!!

Sounds very interesting, thanks. I'd like to see some pictures.

PS: I edited your review to make it a little easier to read.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Cool - Thanks Danny. I had a little trouble with entering text when I got about half way through. I tried to add a couple of pictures but with no luck. I believe Diggey posted some pics of one under on of the forums

Pictures here:

http://gretschpages.com/forum/billy-zooms-jet-set/little-kahuna-reverbtremolo/28144/page1/

Those look gorgeous. If I didn't already have a G-Spring, I would be so tempted right now. (Oh who am I kidding, I still am!) Love to hear some sound samples!

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

OMFG!

I was just thinking this morning, I'd love to see if there's an amp head unit out there with reverb and tremolo. That'll cost a fortune to get one modded with a UK power supply, and posted over here. Just about perfect though.

Billy might be able to substitute a UK transformer at little or no charge, wouldn't cost anything to ask him.

Page 1 of 1