Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink The Shallow End: Dedicated to Rip & Spanky

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

7 years today......as was said before, it's hard to believe how hard you can take the death of someone you didn't know....but wish you did.

Here's to you, Rip. Thanks for the music.

Will

"You're done, once you're a surfer you're done. You're in. It's like the mob or something. You're not getting out." - Kelly Slater

The Luau Cinders

One of the funniest links Rip ever sent out. The story of the "Best Show Ever" prank. Still a great read:
http://improveverywhere.com/2004/10/24/best-gig-ever/

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Holy crap. Today's the date? This is really weird. I had a very vivid dream last night that I was about to play a show fronting the Penetrators. In my dream, Rip was not with us anymore, but Spanky still was (I think - it's all fading very fast). The preshow period took up my entire dream, which was really disappointing - we didn't get to actually play! I remember waking up, realizing it was a dream, and then feeling really bummed that I woke up! The timing of this dream is really eery...

Well, this is a good day to remember these two amazing people. The Space Cossacks have already been planning to dedicate both our shows this weekend to Rip and Spanky. God bless you, boys, you'll always be with me.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

I'll bring a bottle of single malt...we'll hoist a couple beforehand.

Will

"You're done, once you're a surfer you're done. You're in. It's like the mob or something. You're not getting out." - Kelly Slater

The Luau Cinders

Will, you got it! Well, maybe just one for me - I'll need all my wits to remember all those notes!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

As fast as you play, nobody would notice if you missed a couple here & there.

Very Happy

Will

The Luau Cinders

I can't believe its been 1 year ago today that Spanky joined Rip in the big Rendezvous Ballroom in the sky. Tilt a drink with me. Skol...

I found a classic thread post from COWABUNGA January 16, 2001. Spanky was attempting to get information about his very old and expensive reverb tank. Some of the responses that Spanky received spurred Rip to chime in.

I miss both of them more than I can express. But, it's memories like this that keeps them in our heart.

Spanky: I too have a '63 Fendcer Reverb tank and noticed something quite disturbing during our show this past weekend in Atlanta. We were in the middle of "Bikini Drag" and I usually kick the reverb pretty good to get more powerful crashing sound. With everybody wailing away i wasn't sure if it was really cutting through the rest of the band, so on the last crash I decided to pick it up and drop it on the ground from about 2 feet. Well when it hit the stage, it wobbled a bit and I noticed the tube bouncing around in the bottom. Here's my question: Two of the tubes have little holders to keep them in there but my tube there in the middle doesn't. Is there any way to bend out the little prongs to keep it in there? Or can you get one of those holder things and modify it? I figure duct tape would just melt. Thanks for the help.
Spanky

Unknown Post: TWO FEET!!! You oughta be jailed for equipment abuse! Would you ram your Mustang into a brick wall at 20 mph? What do they put in the beer down there...alcohol??? (as opposed to Utah where you drink all night and still wonder what it would be like to be drunk). There are tube holders available; however, loose tubes are nature's way of saying "take better care of the equipment...." Marty, reseat the tubes and see if that helps your unit. And, again, it always pays to have spares around to substitute as a troubleshooting procedure. Rev.

Spanky's Reply:
Look, equipment is made to be played and they were made for touring musicians so they were made tough (thanks Leo and Dick). I'd kick the damn thing all the way across the stage if I thought it would get the crash sound I was looking for with out un plugging. My unit cost me my twin reverb plus a bill and a half so I don't take it for granted, but I'm gonna get all I can get out of it. I'd much rather hear of somebody "abusing" equipment than have some collector or music store geek sit it on a shelf to rot. If droping a vintage tank on a wooden stage form 2 feet will destroy it, it was on it's last leg anyway. Happy reverbs! Spanky

Bob Waitz wrote: > Certainly the reverb crash is great but for God's sake, use your heads for a > second. Now this may just be CRAZY talk, but rather than drop or kick your hardware, why don't you just rig up a pedal-operated bowden cable to strike the pan? (bowden cables are the cables that operate bicycle brakes and > shifters) Maybe the machismo of being able scuff some Tolex or bust a tube is what you want, but as the listener I want to hear the crash of the surf.

Classic RipThrillby Response:
I must come to Spanky's defense. This is like asking why Evel Knievel didn't just put a mannequin on his Harley and safely remote-control wire-guide it up and over the ramp. Looks pretty much the same, sounds the same, still involves timing and skill, and the technology was available. But it isn't the same. It might help in understanding Spanky by simulating putting yourself ever-so-slightly in his state of mind while on stage and at other times as well ("Twangled"). Put some rowdy music on the stereo, really really loud. Play along with a guitar, or fake it, at least, while jumping around like a maniac for at least an hour. Pause every now and then to yell at the top of your lungs-- whatever just pops into your mind is fine for yelling out. Chug a beer or two. Jump around some more, and make sure really bright lights are shining directly at you the whole time, and imagine a lot of drunk people worshipfully staring at you. Yell some more, and wail, daddy, wail.
Now... after doing this for more than an hour... it's your choice: A.) carefully click a foot-switch, or B.) pick up that spring-loaded piece of Fender-made field equipment and drop it for a crash as big as Thor's hammer.
Not even a choice.
Spanky "Crazy Legs" Twangler is to his stage gear as Steve McQueen was to his Mustang: demanding.
Rip

Fender Bass, Small Firearms

Brilliant. Thanks for sharing this Trace, it will make my day.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

HAHAHA, love this.

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

Classic!!!

Will

The Luau Cinders

Another great addition to the Shallow End!

Thanks so much for posting this, Trace!

That was awesome!!!!

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Another year. Time does nothing to fill the void.

Cheers, Rip!

Jet

I really wish I'd known them, not just Rip and Spanky, but all the ones that've been lost since the music began. I am really very grateful for everyone still here. Ever think about the amazing surf band they're all playing in now?

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: May 11, 2011 20:22:38

Breaking out the single malt later tonight....... Cry

Will

The Luau Cinders

Not a fan of scotch, but I will raise a toast of Rum for the boys tonight.

Rock on Guys.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Damn. Knew something was wrong. Bit late, but will hoist the scotch tonight and make up for my lapse.

Will

The Luau Cinders

Ivan.... I'm a bit slow with my reply. Been a bit busy... Even though I never met Rip or Spanky, I have no doubt that they would be enthusiastic in regards to your dream. Maybe it will happen sometime way in the future. I hope I'm there.

IvanP wrote:

Holy crap. Today's the date? This is really weird. I had a very vivid dream last night that I was about to play a show fronting the Penetrators. In my dream, Rip was not with us anymore, but Spanky still was (I think - it's all fading very fast). The preshow period took up my entire dream, which was really disappointing - we didn't get to actually play! I remember waking up, realizing it was a dream, and then feeling really bummed that I woke up! The timing of this dream is really eery...

Well, this is a good day to remember these two amazing people. The Space Cossacks have already been planning to dedicate both our shows this weekend to Rip and Spanky. God bless you, boys, you'll always be with me.

Bit late myself, but it's always great to go back and read posts about (or from) Spanky and Rip. I don't have any scotch on hand, but will pour a tall Canadian Club in their honor tonight.

Sean
Double Crown Records
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Surf CD's / Vinyl / Fanzines / DVD's
The Desolate Coast - Without A Planet CD
Hipbone Slim aka Sir Bald - Wiggin' Out With CD
Continental Magazine - Issue #36 w/21 Song CD

Last edited: May 20, 2012 12:13:37

Skol, Spanky Twangler!!!

http://youtu.be/amtQ0SFL0LU

Fender Bass, Small Firearms

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012 21:48:55