Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Official SG101 Plans For World Domination Thread

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4

bigtikidude
my Vision for next year and the future is.
Of course keeping the convention inside and with the Legends and member jams, this is what makes the convention, site related, and so family like.
(of course open to the public, and more people would be better).

Then having the sunday HB pier show, much more like a festival.
and hopefully getting some sponsors to get some money for the bands, and
to pay for all of the costs to the surf museum, for putting on the Pier show.

I like this. Keep the Saturday show growing at a natural scale and more for the hardcore genre nerds, and expand the Sunday show into more of a general public thing.

It's the best of both worlds.

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

CaptainSpringfield

bigtikidude
Of course keeping the convention inside and with the Legends and member jams, this is what makes the convention, site related, and so family like.

I like this. Keep the Saturday show growing at a natural scale and more for the hardcore genre nerds, and expand the Sunday show into more of a general public thing.

It's the best of both worlds.

I agree with this idea. Well... it still looks to me a 2 days festival... anyway I agree.

In my opinion Jeff you should have to promote the convention NOT like a 1 day, but like a 3 days event. If you keep it out of a public space and continue doing it in private clubs (starting gate, dons, etc...) why not saying that the sg101 convention is from fri to sun? Instead of thinking about pre and post shows?
This will create more attention around the fri and sun days too. Include the late shows in the convention idea. Say that the festival stays on 3 days, from 3pm to midnight.

The only problem with this is that you might need more bands, I mean a larger variety of artists. Maybe one band can play only 2 of the 3 shows. I think seeing one band for 3 consecutive days can be boring. Whatever is the band.

But I'm seeing it wrong again, probably, because this whole concept goes back to the "festival" idea... so I'm back at the beginning of this thread Laughing

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

CaptainSpringfield
I like this.

Indeed!

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

I'm a little late to this thread but loving the discussion.

I think there's room at sg101 for the party crowd and the legend-worshipping crowd. I think Lorenzo's right to not limit the dreaming. I've noticed the split between European and American attitudes towards surf but then in my own town, where almost nobody has heard of surf rock until (if I may toot my own horn) my radio show, I've found that the few tiny shows we've had down here have been hip and wild. Punks, hipsters, and a few hawaiian shirts coming out, all of them dancing.

You do have to keep in mind that America's a pretty big expanse. If SG101 were in Austin, I would absolutely drive over, that's about 8 or so hours for me. California is a couple of days of driving and I can't afford a round trip plane ticket. So those that can make it will make it, and will likely be even more likely to as it grows, but I think there should definitely be plenty of regional focus.

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

also, I don't know everything that went into this, but as somebody who often organizes something by himself for the sake of reliability and efficiency, it's always good to hear somebody tell me not to. So Jeff, if you're like me and need to hear this even if you ignore it, if you can find teammates, you should.

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010 12:53:02

Surfer Joe... well, quite a lot of people were surf music fans, I would say 60%. 100% of them coming because of the event surely

Lorenzo, I figure a huge percentage come there to experience my full command of the Italian language, my wonderful choice of clothing, and my irresistible charm, no?

UNSTEADY FREDDIE

http://www.facebook.com/unsteady.freddie

ElMonstroPorFavor
...but I think there should definitely be plenty of regional focus.

This is an excellent point. This gives me another 100.000 ideas, but I will not do a new thread... Very Happy

(www.surfmusic.net)

UnsteadyFreddie

Surfer Joe... well, quite a lot of people were surf music fans, I would say 60%. 100% of them coming because of the event surely

Lorenzo, I figure a huge percentage come there to experience my full command of the Italian language, my wonderful choice of clothing, and my irresistible charm, no?

UNSTEADY FREDDIE

I appreciated your Fender shoes definitely! When do you buy me a pair?

(www.surfmusic.net)

bigtikidude

of course, also keeping all the pre and post shows too.
I think that we need to figure out how to get more people to those also.

only about 20 people went to Dons to see the Glasgow Tiki Shakers after the convention.
Confused

Jeff(btd)

i totally agree with you jeff. i'd hate to see the inside convention lose it's charm. the pier show is perfect for a more 'festival' event.

the glasgow tiki shakers at don's was a perfect way to unwind and end the day of the convention. what nice people..........joyce came up to me and had remembered my name from last year and even asked about my son who couldn't attend this year but had met her last year. i was impressed.

www.surfintheeye.com

surferjoemusic
Maybe one band can play only 2 of the 3 shows. I think seeing one band for 3 consecutive days can be boring. Whatever is the band.
:

it's funny you should say this. the first time i saw your band i was totally unfamiliar with your material. the second time the tunes were becoming recognizable and the third day at suzy's i was up dancing with the crowd. Very Happy

www.surfintheeye.com

surferjoemusic
The only problem with this is that you might need more bands, I mean a larger variety of artists. Maybe one band can play only 2 of the 3 shows. I think seeing one band for 3 consecutive days can be boring. Whatever is the band.

Gotta disagree here. Depends on the band. The Longboards in 07, I saw them 3 times in a week (and kicked myself for missing the other dates). Saw the Space Rangers 4 times this past week & they were never boring to my jaded ears (you never know what Daniel is gonna say in between tunes). The Exotics this past weekend...I could go on.

Another consideration is the bands coming from out of town. They need as much exposure as they can get in the limited time they are here from Milwaukee, DC or Ulm. BTD does a good job of mixing up the shows with local bands for any needed variety, IMO.

Radio Free Bakersfield--60 Minutes of TWANG, CRUNCH, OOMPH.
http://radiofreebakersfield.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Radio-Free-Bakersfield/172410279636
http://www.sandiegojoe.com/rfb.htm

Lorenzo: Many points well-taken, especially your astute observations on the differences between US vs. European approaches and ideologies surrounding marketing and presentation in general. That's why I came here; to get a global perspective on what we do and love. Thank you very much.

Freedom is the right to discipline yourself.

michaelhigh
Lorenzo: Many points well-taken, especially your astute observations on the differences between US vs. European approaches and ideologies surrounding marketing and presentation in general. That's why I came here; to get a global perspective on what we do and love. Thank you very much.

Thank you all my friends, you are right, this is one of the nice things of this forum. It is nice to exchange views.

(www.surfmusic.net)

I agree with Whorehay, I saw Wadadli Riders and Space Rangers several times and I enjoyed each time! I like the idea of slow growth for the Starting Gate event and festival atmosphere for the Pier show. Lorenzo's idea of promoting it as a 3 day event is a good idea. When i looks like a lot of events they may opt out of some, if it is a 3 day event in several venues. Maybe having a price that includes all 3 days that is a bargain compared to entering each one individually. That does cause a lot of logistic problems, I have put on several surf shows here in Ohio. I guaranteed money for the bands ( not much more than gas money). We printed hundreds of fliers, had stuff in local music & entertainment rags. Promoted it on my radio show and no matter what we did we got 200 people max. I lost a lot of money, but did it for the love of the music and trying to expose more people to it. Bringing in big names, venues... costs big money. I guess sponsors might be willing to help. Mr. Surf Ohio along with the Fraternal Order of the Moai have put on a couple of shows in Dayton with big stage, pretty good attendance...It is an outside event with tiki carvers, bands, car show... I don't have numbers but hopefully they have not lost money. I go for free venues, for my shows, because I can't afford paying for a venue like a hotel or convention center.I never intended to make any money, all of the money went to the bands. I am thinking that is they way BTD is doing it. I would like to see higher attendance, I want the bands to make more money, Big Tiki Dude should also get paid. I would be willing to do what I can to help, but being in Ohio about all I can do is promo it on my radio show. Jeff needs help to do all of this, he has done an amazing job!
Thanks
Guy

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4