Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Official SG101 Plans For World Domination Thread

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

surferjoemusic
I love you my friend and you are totally aligned with what I said.
You corrected me about the flyer promotion and - like I said - I was waiting for this correction.
What you have done is incredible!

I'm glad Jeff had a chance to chime in, and bring some balance to this thread.
I appreciate the enthusiasm, and I understand where Lorenzo is coming from. However, I prefer that the event grows and improves gradually.
We don't want to be in the situation like Tiki Oasis, where anyone who has seen it grow, miss the old days. We start letting this baloon, and next thing you know, the member jam is no longer considered interesting enough for the wide crowd, all the headline bands are ones that sponsors deem worthy, etc.
Jeff has the right vision in my opinion. I know all the pro-world-take-over visionaries are doing it out of love, but please , let us take calculated, gradual steps.

Hope I have not offended anyone, no offense meant.

Ran

The Scimitars

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010 17:53:53

I'll echo Ran's sentiments. I think that the current state of the sg101Con is fantastic. Could it be bigger and more prolific? I'm sure it could be with the proper funding and a highly motivated team working on it. But I really dig what it currently is: A very loyal base of people who have started/continued friendships through this scene and get together to celebrate it once a year. I only hope Jeff can continue to put this together year in and year out! I guess I just see the Convention more as a celebration of this site (hence its namesake.) Anything bigger would be more of a Surf Music Festival as Lorenzo alluded to, which would be great too; don't get me wrong.

Lorenzo is a great spokesperson and cheerleader for the genre and has done some amazing work with his festival. Jeff has done some pretty incredible work on a shoestring budget and limited (though very enthusiastic) support. We owe both of these guys a ton of gratitude!

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

insectsurfer
Perhaps one way to 'reach the masses' for such a festival in the USA would be to add a headliner that would be surf ,garage,or roots-related---
B52's? Brian Setzer? Dick Dale or Ventures? Rev. Horton Heat? Or a combination. Maybe some bands from the tiki/lounge world, too?'

Exactly Dave, I was just telling BTD the same thing!

Ruhar
Jeff has done some pretty incredible work on a shoestring budget and limited (though very enthusiastic) support.

He has a shoestring? Man, I didn't even think he had THAT. Just some email addresses & phone numbers!

Radio Free Bakersfield--60 Minutes of TWANG, CRUNCH, OOMPH.
http://radiofreebakersfield.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Radio-Free-Bakersfield/172410279636
http://www.sandiegojoe.com/rfb.htm

WhorehayRFB
He has a shoestring?

Yeah, and he's like MacGuyver with it!

BTD+ shoestring + phone numbers + enthusiasm + reverb = CONVENTION! Mr. Green

Alright, I understand.
Thanks for all the comments, good or bad. Much appreciated.

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

josheboy

WhorehayRFB
He has a shoestring?

Yeah, and he's like MacGuyver with it!

BTD+ shoestring + phone numbers + enthusiasm + reverb = CONVENTION! Mr. Green

Agree

Radio Free Bakersfield--60 Minutes of TWANG, CRUNCH, OOMPH.
http://radiofreebakersfield.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Radio-Free-Bakersfield/172410279636
http://www.sandiegojoe.com/rfb.htm

Add me to the list of people who think Jeff has created something very special, and like Ryan, I'm not so sure I want to see it get much bigger. I kind of enjoy our little club.
The added "peripheral" events, like Matt's "after party" jam are great, and I like Danny's idea of small gatherings of members playing together. We do something like that at the Rickenbacker Forum-now IT'S growing.
What I really like about this thread is the positive vibe and reasoned discussion it has brought about.
Don't lose the momentum-keep it up!

elreydlp
Add me to the list of people who think Jeff has created something very special, and like Ryan, I'm not so sure I want to see it get much bigger. I kind of enjoy our little club.
The added "peripheral" events, like Matt's "after party" jam are great, and I like Danny's idea of small gatherings of members playing together. We do something like that at the Rickenbacker Forum-now IT'S growing.
What I really like about this thread is the positive vibe and reasoned discussion it has brought about.
Don't lose the momentum-keep it up!

It is curious - I have to say anyway - that I started this thread really pointing out just the differences between what I have seen in california and what I knew from Italy... Never said Jeff hasn't work perfectly or that is "necessary" to grow with sg101. I would like to see it even bigger yes, this is my point, but of course I love what has been done now and how it IS now.

So I think there is NO list to subscribe. Jeff HAS created something special, this is a fact and everybody has to agree. No discussion for me about this. At the convention I mentioned to someone that what I liked more was the "family" aspect of it.

(www.surfmusic.net)

elreydlp

Well, its not that I wouldn't want it to get bigger. I just think that in order for it to get much bigger it would have to be about much more than a celebration of this website and more akin to a Surf Music Festival a la Lorenzo's Surfer Joe. I would love to see the Convention continue along its current path per Jeff's vision. If a large festival could be put together stateside, that would be pretty incredible as well. I guess I'd like to see both. I'm glad I'm not running things Laughing

Ryan

Ruhar

elreydlp

Well, its not that I wouldn't want it to get bigger. I just think that in order for it to get much bigger it would have to be about much more than a celebration of this website and more akin to a Surf Music Festival a la Lorenzo's Surfer Joe. I would love to see the Convention continue along its current path per Jeff's vision. If a large festival could be put together stateside, that would be pretty incredible as well. I guess I'd like to see both. I'm glad I'm not running things Laughing

Yes I get your point Ryan.
By the way... was great to see you again!!!!!!

(www.surfmusic.net)

surferjoemusic
By the way... was great to see you again!!!!!!

Likewise!! Looking forward to yours and Niki's next visit. I will make it out to a Surfer Joe Festival one day!

Ryan

This topic is kind of ironic since I just got back from a panel discussion with Kim Fowley (Music business man...worked with the Runaways, allegedly discovered Jimi Hendrix, worked with Guns n' Roses, etc)! People would mostly get up and sing him a few verses of their best songs and he would tell them what he thought ala American Idol. (He would roll his eyes a lot...haha) He said he's back in town (San Diego his hometown) to find the next big thing! I considered getting up and singing a Secret Samurai tune a capella...

...and I was thinking of asking him if surf music could ever be big again, but I think we all know the answer to that. Probably not, yet it's possible. I think it's possible with the right promotion...but then that begs the question...how exactly do you do that?

I think Lorenzo has an excellent vision, yet I like Ran's idea of slow calculated steps.

I don't think that the surf bands that played at SG101 would have sounded any better if they were getting $5000 dollars each. These people show up with no promise of anything except a place to play to fans of SURF MUSIC. They do it cuz they love Jeff and YOU the FANS of their music. I know jeff pays them what almost amounts to gas money to come and play their hearts out for your enjoyment. I'm sure they would play for free, and have(HB pier show) is an example. They sell CD's and tee shirts (again gas money). They do it cuz they love it and so do you and I.

Sg101 is a forum where Jeff saw a need to have a celebration of music for you the fans. I know he doesn't want to deal with port-a-potty's, security, city permits, licensing rights, and another dozen things that would come up before some one got their panties in a wad, canceled his permit, and he would have to scramble to find another city or a venue to hold a huge surf festival. I for 1 would rather see and know 400 people than be just a face in a crowd of thousands. It's about us the fans and the bands that play for us. Not about Joe Public and his $$$$.

Craig the Keg (Jeff's dad)

Hodad makin' the scene with a six pack.

Craigthekeg
I don't think that the surf bands that played at SG101 would have sounded any better if they were getting $5000 dollars each.

Do you think musicians come to Surfer Joe's for different reasons than the love for surf music, as they get little money? My budget for the first 4 years, at the end of the show, has been... -2500 euro, interesting no? I might be stupid... no I'm just like Jeff and love to do it whatever it is. It is not a point of money, what the convention paid this year was absolutely FANTASTIC, in terms of money and satisfaction.

Now a question:
do you like more people who write the whole year on sg101 forum, say that they are great surf music fans, write about amps and guitars and then, when there is the convention, cannot find 20 bucks to get in or prefer to go to the beach that day...

or do you like more people who doesn't know anything about surf music, want to know more, come to the show with great energy, and after the show buy the records and say "thank you guys, I don't know what this is but I loved it"?

I think there is more surf music future in the second option.

There is a general lack of interest in live music within the yourgers, I remember many more active bands 15 years ago, even in my hometown here. But the young guys often do not know or just did not have the occasion to know. Most people have NEVER seen a Jaguar guitar. In Antigua one experienced British musician once told me he didn't know that Fender had never produced that guitar...

Remember also modern music is often an imposition by the media. If they would do surf music on MTV, people would buy surf music. They pass Shakira instead singing the song for the Soccer World Cup...

Surf Music will never become HUGE, also because it has never been huge at all. But it found its own spot as a music genre, which is interesting. The Beatles were like many others in my opinion but they came with the right music in the right place at the right time.

So the point here is just: can we do more than this, which is already incredibly good? Can we get out of our little community and at least try to tell the general public that surf music is still strong, that it exists and has new stuff every year? Can you believe that when I spoke with the organization of US Open Of Surfing they did not even know that surf music still exists, in their same own city???? Well the guy was impressed... we just needed more time. I had to talk to him in December. But hey... with just a phone call the Museum got its benefits, no?

(www.surfmusic.net)

Ruhar

elreydlp

Exactly!
In my perfect world, we'd have BOTH!
The convention was great.
NOW for World Domination-Lorenzo! Very Happy

So let me ask ...

Would anyone that attended SG101 have had a better time if there had been 5000 more people in attendance? Do we really want to attract a big crowd just for the sake of a big crowd? Certainly we'd like to have as many surf music fans as possible and we don't want to exclude anyone that may end up becoming a surf music fan. I pretty sure that everyone would like to expand the community.

Hey Lorenzo ... how many of the attendees at Surfer Joe were real surf music fans and how many just came because there was an event to go to? (not that there's anything wrong with that at all ... it's just different)

If the desire is to have a BIG SG101 event then we just need to do the things it takes to have a big event, namely hire professional promoters and get corporate sponsors.

dboomer
So let me ask ...

Would anyone that attended SG101 have had a better time if there had been 5000 more people in attendance? Do we really want to attract a big crowd just for the sake of a big crowd? Certainly we'd like to have as many surf music fans as possible and we don't want to exclude anyone that may end up becoming a surf music fan. I pretty sure that everyone would like to expand the community.

Hey Lorenzo ... how many of the attendees at Surfer Joe were real surf music fans and how many just came because there was an event to go to? (not that there's anything wrong with that at all ... it's just different)

If the desire is to have a BIG SG101 event then we just need to do the things it takes to have a big event, namely hire professional promoters and get corporate sponsors.

Well... when you have 5000 people in front of you many things change to be honest... Smile from the public side, from the band side... from the organization side, but you are right, I get your point. But the concept is different that is why you are right. The familiarity aspect of the convention is what I loved more.

Surfer Joe... well, quite a lot of people were surf music fans, I would say 60%. 100% of them coming because of the event surely. I did not have - unfortunately - any passage like I was supposed to have with the original location. That would have had those 5000 people you were mentioning...
Having so many people that have to get their cars, find the place, come in and stay for 3 days for a surf music fest is sooooooo great... this is what keeps me on! All these people (thanks to ALL the bands that came to the surfer joe, the real and very attractions!!!!!) will come back again next year and bring their friends. So who I thank more are the actual bands that put together superb shows.

Sure I understand clearly what you say and I appreciate.
Like I said, I see the points of view and the MAIN thought is to understand the difference - probably - between the "convention" and the "festival". It looks like we all love the 2 things, just better not to mix them. Surprised

(www.surfmusic.net)

I'm sorry Lorenzo, i can't resist this! Very Happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFacWGBJ_cs&feature=related

Crumble,
that is totally not cool, and not needed.
can you delete it please?

my Vision for next year and the future is.
Of course keeping the convention inside and with the Legends and member jams, this is what makes the convention, site related, and so family like.
(of course open to the public, and more people would be better).

Then having the sunday HB pier show, much more like a festival.
and hopefully getting some sponsors to get some money for the bands, and
to pay for all of the costs to the surf museum, for putting on the Pier show.

of course, also keeping all the pre and post shows too.
I think that we need to figure out how to get more people to those also.

only about 20 people went to Dons to see the Glasgow Tiki Shakers after the convention.
Confused

Jeff(btd)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next