Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Official SG101 Plans For World Domination Thread

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

echobeach
I think It's great that those of us who enjoy Surf music on this forum have an opportunity to meet up socially and share our passion for Surf music.

I'd like to see latest wave of Surf music grow naturally at a steady pace. I'd hate to see this genre hijacked and manipulated because someone or some large corporation wants to make $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Musicians have been ripped off since Edisson made his phonograth.

Real music and talent will always thrive when people can develop their artistic
expression and play how they want .Visit a few open mic nights and see some of the great performers out there. I went to an open mic night last week and saw a string quartet of music students playing miserlou, different yes but it's cool to know that young music students who will hopefully one day play in tommorows orchestras have exposure to other genres than classical music

I think it's great that the members of this forum are sensible and keen to welcome new members , I hope it always stays that way .

Anyway I'm done posting for now, It's a cold winters day here in Oz.
so I'm gonna break out the fiesta red Strat and fire up the old Vox AC 30 and play like Hank(Marvin) for a few hours(well try to).

Marty

If you consider myself a "large corporation" you are wrong.
If you consider my attitude a "large corporation" attitude you are wrong.
If Capitol Records did not consider the marketing aspects of surf music in $$$ terms, probably the Beach Boys would have remained a little unknown californian band.
This is not the point. The point is to grow in order to have a great and bigger audience and maybe get more & more people involved.
If Edisson did not make the phonograph, we would not have enjoyed listening to our favorite music at home. Hank Marvin showcased the Stratocaster because they were Fender endorser as long as I know and/or anyway Fender was the cool guitar to use at the time. So did the Shadows got trapped by the large corporation and did not play their music?

You are right anyway, large corporation business is putting down modern music. So does MTV.
But - hey - rockabilly is a dead genre anyway. It is not commercial or very cool today between the youngers. But they have HUGE festivals.

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

Rockabilly- you are correct. But are there any rockabilly festivals in Memphis? Nope. No one would come. They are usually in places like Las Vegas.
It is Elvis Week here right now. I dig Elvis. Am I going to any of the hoopla? Nope.
Do Parisians go to the Eiffel Tower?
I love to visit Surf City, but I wouldn't base a surf band there. Bands are playing for free all the time, which is great, but combined with the demographic, which isn't exactly the go out and party and dance to bands crowd, it's a tough sell. It's too bad, since PJ, Jim Frias, and the rest of the originators are on hand.
One of the best "surf festivals" I ever went to was "Garage Shock" in Bellingham, WA. There were garage bands mixed in, but we played with The Phantom Surfers, Jackie and the Cedrics, the Untamed Youth, Impala, the Volcanos. Every night was packed and sweaty and out of control (mind you this is two different years I am combining here, but still, it was the biggest appreciation of the genre I have seen in a festival type setting).
All that said, I do think that selling a big festival like this in the US has to combine a lot to get people there besides the music. Tiki, cool cars, bad monster movies, etc. A combination of Tiki Oasis and Garage Shock.

http://www.satanspilgrims.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Satans-Pilgrims/8210228553
https://satanspilgrims.bandcamp.com/
http://www.surfyindustries.com

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010 19:16:18

spskins
Lorenzo,
You need to remember that the US is a big country and not just (erp) CA. What you experienced was mostly a bunch of other surf band members and "surf nerds" (I use the term lovingly, as I am one) in the audience. It's a sausage party.
In other settings and cities, I think you would find the dancing crowd pushing the band and the band responding until everyone's a sweaty, drunken mess, like you describe the shows in EU. I have played both continents and have this comparison for you. Orange County is like Germany and other cities like Austin, Portland, Chicago, or Atlanta or anywhere else in between, can be like Italy or Spain. Very Happy
I am not trying to Stir the Pot . Everyone should be really proud of the SG101 Convention become and all of your hard work! I wish I could come-but I would know what to expect compared to a bar show in some other city.

PS I'm curious, what was the total attendance of the SG101?

Ted I agree with you totally. I have not said that I don't like the SG101 as it is or that it is un-complete. I just said that it can grow even more.
The point most of the time is one and one only: finding the money to do things.
This is the key. With money you do great bands, you have big stages, you have stage monitors. The way you find the money is the same everywhere, fortunately and unfortunately. Fortunately because I know and many of you know how it works; unfortunately because it is difficult to find it everywhere.

I have been accused in the past not to be realistic at Surfer Joe (from a technical point of view) because I was both the organizer and the artist. Well I consider that a point of strength.

I do not understand this "I wish I could come-but I would know what to expect compared to a bar show in some other city".

On SG101 the work is all Jeff's. He's the boss. And I'm glad because he demonstrated to do well, together with all his supporters.

As I can read from all the posts up to now, someone sees my point, some other see the "negative" aspects, like a sort of "fatalism" that everything with surf music has to remain small, unknown. I obviously see the difficulties in doing surf events, but I remain positive.

(www.surfmusic.net)

About 10 years ago I played a show on Huntington Beach in association with some big surfing competition. I found it weird at the time that none of the bands were of the surf milieu. The crowd was huge, and the stage was set up right on the beach -- it was awesome playing facing out over the ocean.

So, maybe it's time to reach out to some surf competition organizers and see about holding SG101 in conjunction?

Just a thought from someone who wasn't there. Smile

Full length "Chases Lead to Crashes" available now - The Red Planets

surferjoemusic
As I can read from all the posts up to now, someone sees my point, some other see the "negative" aspects, like a sort of "fatalism" that everything with surf music has to remain small, unknown. I obviously see the difficulties in doing surf events, but I remain positive.

It's not so much negative. We want the convention to grow, we just don't want it to lose it's soul.

We're spoiled Americans, man! We want our cake and we want to eat it too! Razz

That was worded poorly. I wish that I could've come. Hopefully, we can play next year or some year. I would play the convention if I could, and would still be invited. In a heartbeat. Just my own personal and the band's scheduling and logistic problems.
Even though I would be totally stoked to play, and would do my darndest to play hard and get the crowd going, I would expect the scientists to be sitting and watching, though seeing the crowd standing for the Space Cossacks gives me hope!
Yours in positivity!
PS I am not one that thinks it should be kept small. The Ghastly Ones and SP played to 800 in Portland 2 years ago, and I'm proud to say we have played to crowds 1,000 plus. We have been lucky.
PPS Jeff and everyone involved continue to do a fantastic job all year. Again, I hope I have not offended anyone, I want the best for the convention and the genre!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010 19:26:21

spskins
Rockabilly- you are correct. But are there any rockabilly festivals in Memphis? Nope. No one would come. They are usually in places like Las Vegas.
It is Elvis Week here right now. I dig Elvis. Am I going to any of the hoopla? Nope.
Do Parisians go to the Eiffel Tower?
I love to visit Surf City, but I wouldn't base a surf band there. Bands are playing for free all the time, which is great, but combined with the demographic, which isn't exactly the go out and party and dance to bands crowd, it's a tough sell. It's too bad, since PJ, Jim Frias, and the rest of the originators are on hand.
One of the best "surf festivals" I ever went to was "Garage Shock" in Bellingham, WA. There were garage bands mixed in, but we played with The Phantom Surfers, Jackie and the Cedrics, the Untamed Youth, Impala, the Volcanos. Every night was packed and sweaty and out of control (mind you this is two different years I am combining here, but still, it was the biggest appreciation of the genre I have seen in a festival type setting).
All that said, I do think that selling a big festival like this in the US has to combine a lot to get people there besides the music. Tiki, cool cars, bad monster movies, etc. A combination of Tiki Oasis and Garage Shock.

I agree with this too in a way.
You have to put together many things to combine cars, exhibitors, history, music instruments, records, memorabilia, and other attractions. But that is part of a good festival. A good selection of things to go around that. Around the surf music show, I mean.

I have not seen SG101 posters or flyers in any bar in HB, or Long Beach, or at Amoeba Music in LA, or at 3rd Promenade in Santa Monica. Maybe I'm wrong here, please correct me...

Hey, I'm not saying to move from one day to another. Everything takes time, but it is not clear to me the purpose of loving surf music, listening to that, writing on this nice forum if not to see surf music growing again. I need to have a target. You can take as example any festivals you want and put together all the best from each one, but remember the target. Do the music and have most people possible listening to it...

(www.surfmusic.net)

GaryPlanets
About 10 years ago I played a show on Huntington Beach in association with some big surfing competition. I found it weird at the time that none of the bands were of the surf milieu. The crowd was huge, and the stage was set up right on the beach -- it was awesome playing facing out over the ocean.

So, maybe it's time to reach out to some surf competition organizers and see about holding SG101 in conjunction?

Just a thought from someone who wasn't there. Smile

Tried already for this year and it would looks good. The reaction I had personally was surprising, but nobody tried before. You know, you knock 1000 door, maybe one opens for you... but you need to be ready to get in right away!

(www.surfmusic.net)

josheboy

surferjoemusic

It's not so much negative. We want the convention to grow, we just don't want it to lose it's soul.

We're spoiled Americans, man! We want our cake and we want to eat it too! Razz

Oh the cake is yours, nobody eats it but you! If there is a chance to lose the soul of this I would stop immediately. If I wanted to make easy money in Italy I could have called slacktone and straitjackets only, put 10 euros ticket at door and go home happy. BUT NO, I wanted to do all the bands, to share the spirit... do I look like I want to lose the soul of surf music???

(www.surfmusic.net)

spskins
That was worded poorly. I wish that I could've come. Hopefully, we can play next year or some year. I would play the convention if I could, and would still be invited. In a heartbeat. Just my own personal and the band's scheduling and logistic problems.
Even though I would be totally stoked to play, and would do my darndest to play hard and get the crowd going, I would expect the scientists to be sitting and watching, though seeing the crowd standing for the Space Cossacks gives me hope!
Yours in positivity!
PS I am not one that thinks it should be kept small. The Ghastly Ones and SP played to 800 in Portland 2 years ago, and I'm proud to say we have played to crowds 1,000 plus. We have been lucky.
PPS Jeff and everyone involved continue to do a fantastic job all year. Again, I hope I have not offended anyone, I want the best for the convention and the genre!

Absolutely you did not offend anyone. It is much appreciated what you say.

(www.surfmusic.net)

surferjoemusic
Oh the cake is yours, nobody eats it but you! If there is a chance to lose the soul of this I would stop immediately. If I wanted to make easy money in Italy I could have called slacktone and straitjackets only, put 10 euros ticket at door and go home happy. BUT NO, I wanted to do all the bands, to share the spirit... do I look like I want to lose the soul of surf music???

No, you don't look like you want to lose the soul of surf music. On the contrary, you are trying very hard to expand that soul and share it with more people! That is great! It REALLY is. I would love to see a stage of surf guitars surrounded by a sea of geeked up reverb-o-philes! That would be AWESOME!!!

But expansion always has pros and cons. Just watch out for the cons, bro. That's all I'm saying Very Happy

Sausage Fest? Not this time around! I do agree that there's some Surf shows in Southern California with an audience composed of the male species, but NOT this time!
Obviously you guys didn't see the hot little chickies dancin' to The Insect's set, and the packed dance floor at Suzy's the next day!
Were gettin' there people! Hold on!

Be careful following the masses. Sometimes the "M" is silent...........................

Glad to hear it!

josheboy

surferjoemusic

No, you don't look like you want to lose the soul of surf music. On the contrary, you are trying very hard to expand that soul and share it with more people! That is great! It REALLY is. I would love to see a stage of surf guitars surrounded by a sea of geeked up reverb-o-philes! That would be AWESOME!!!

But expansion always has pros and cons. Just watch out for the cons, bro. That's all I'm saying Very Happy

Yes my friend, I always keep my eyes very open.
You cannot imagine how many SHARKS you find around especially when you want to do something. I have seen our work of months destroyed by the City of Livorno, I have seen sponsors not paying under contract treating me like an idiot, I have seen complaints of any kind, I have seen the owner of Calafuria pushing dance music and ruining my schedule in the main night of the fest (ask Ivan). You know what is the best way to react if you think you are right? Go your own way not giving a shit of what they say.

So what? I sent the City of Livorno to fuck off, I change sponsors, I move the festival somewhere else...
My job is to be neutral on what I say and realistic. But I'ma musician and a surf music fanatic... so my heart stays with surf music's soul.

(www.surfmusic.net)

Wow, I read the thread up to Lorenzo's post this AM, then went to VA hospital
Long Beach for eye surgery. Just got home and saw that WhoreHay moved it to this thread. Everyone's probably wondering where Jeff is. We went to see the Space Rangers and MuerTones at the Puka Bar in Long Beach last night.

JonPaul, Crazy Al, Insect Dave and Trish showed up. Music till 12:30 then a trip home by 1:15. Jeff was on my lap top till 2AM sleep quick, up and gone to work. He just got home and wanted to take a nap,cuz he was falling asleep driving home. We're going to Carlsbad to see the Space Rangers in a few minutes.

Sooooo..... that's why you haven't seen him post anything on this thread yet. He has been a busy guy this last week or so. I sure when he finds time to read it, a reply or two will be forthcoming. I think he's been to 10-12 shows in as many days, with tonight and Sunday at the HB pier. He running ragged, and Tiki Oasis is just a week away. I don't think many can keep up with him.

I think sg101 will grow and grow. I started in a cowboy action shooting sport 25 years ago with 200 people in SoCal. Now It's world wide with 90,000 members and still growing. Jeff will not let this die.You people who now look at the LEGENDS playing before your band plays will be the LEGENDS 25 years from now

well enough of my blabber fingers for now,

Craig the Keg (Jeff's' DAD)

Hodad makin' the scene with a six pack.

Craigthekeg
I think sg101 will grow and grow. I started in a cowboy action shooting sport 25 years ago with 200 people in SoCal. Now It's world wide with 90,000 members and still growing. Jeff will not let this die.You people who now look at the LEGENDS playing before your band plays will be the LEGENDS 25 years from now

Well it is exactly one of the points of my post.
SG101 will grow thanks to Jeff, you and all your team and people like you guys!
I havent' said that and I haven't said that we are in the wrong direction. I would like to have people like you helping me in Italy as just me and Luca are sharing alone all the shit we find usually.
Look at my original post in a neutral way, it says how much I appreciate the sg101 and how much we enjoyed it. I just showed the differences I have seen between what I have found in California and what I knew.

From my personal view the sg101 has been of the best experiences I've ever had and definitely a great lesson for many things! SO thanks!!!

(www.surfmusic.net)

There are definitely a lot of great points running through this thread. It's people like Lorenzo, Jeff & Compadres that move surf music forward. Thank you guys for doing that.

My little festival, Guitar-Fest, has just finished its 6th year, and it does indeed take time to grow these things. A great line-up, and big promotion does make the difference. I found that the more time I spent on promo for the festival, the better the turn out. Last year I was able to bring in the reunion of the Great Scots (who hadn't played together in 40 years), and as a result was able to get Sundazed to provide a bunch of free merchandise to give away. Our classic rock station in the city promotes the show any way they can, and the local papers get involved too. Through the years we've had different sponsors come and go (Musicstop, Long & McQuade, D'Addario, Fender), and every little bit has helped.

In most cases it was just a matter of contacting the sponsors with a good, organized plan for the festival and showing them the benefits of being involved. It is a lot of work, but persistence, promo, and great line-ups pay off. The biggest thrill is seeing all the bands & audience having fun, and knowing that all that work paid off.

Rev

PS: I hope to play SurfGuitar101 next year. That would be a thrill!

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

first,
thanks to all for all of the compliments on my work I have done.
I really appreciate that.
and remember, I am just a fan that is dipping my toe in the booking shows world.
in that fact I think that this is a HUGE!!!! Success for me and the SG101 crowd.

second,
of course I want this to grow, but am also very weary of it getting out of control, and being a Nightmare.
I don't want to lose my mind, my hair, or any money.

third,
It has grown every year.
by large amounts.
first year, 150 people, 6 bands, 90 bucks each.
second year, 250 people 7 bands 290 bucks each
third year, well over 300 people, 8 bands, 500 each band,
plus a little money to pay Matt Q for amps and PA, and Dusty for the Drums.

Promotion/sponsorship
I think we did a fair job of promotion this year.
it was on a few newspaper sites, and entertainment blogs.
Thanks To Whorehay of RFB, and Lee Joseph of Dionysis records.
Also huge thanks to Kristena, for doing the Myspace and Facebook.
and we had 1000 flyers made, (thanks to Jonpaul for the flyer, and to Sean
from Double Crown records for having them printed up)
and I had them in Music stores and record and surf shops, I went back to many of them on the monday before the event, and they were all gone.
Dave Arnson and others put some in LA (Amoeba etc.)
Ryan of Secret Samurai even saw some posted at his rehearsal place in SD,
and he didn't put them up there. That is wild.
Plus Lorenzo, you can't put flyers for a show at another bar, in a Bar in HB.
they will throw them away fast.
I left 100 at Guitar center in Fountain Valley all they were all taken the lady said, not thrown away. But just because people have a flyer, or hear about a show, doesn't mean they will go.

I know people that are Huge surf fans, and were not at the convention.
1 even came to the starting gate to have breakfast, then as he was leaving,
wished me a good show, and drove away. WTF?????
and others said that they wanted to come, but had other things to do.
Can't people plan ahead, and make time for this event?
sheeesh.

I could go on and on about the down side of things.
I am a pessimist sometimes.
But I think that when it comes to this event.
I have done huge things.
and want it to grow. but always at a steady pace.
and to not lose the focus of why I started it.
Its about the fans of the music, and the site.
Not having a huge crowd of General Public for Free, just to make money from Sponsors.

AND

the First 2 years had a Sunday HB pier show the day after.
I was really bummed this did not happen this year.
It will return next year.

I could say more, but I need to get to work.
sadly I don't sit at a computer all day for work.
wait, actually I am glad I don't.
Poolboy indeed.
but no green hat or camera.
Shocked Confused Cool Wink

Jeff(btd)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude
first,
thanks to all for all of the compliments on my work I have done.
I really appreciate that.
and remember, I am just a fan that is dipping my toe in the booking shows world.
in that fact I think that this is a HUGE!!!! Success for me and the SG101 crowd.

second,
of course I want this to grow, but am also very weary of it getting out of control, and being a Nightmare.
I don't want to lose my mind, my hair, or any money.

third,
It has grown every year.
by large amounts.
first year, 150 people, 6 bands, 90 bucks each.
second year, 250 people 7 bands 290 bucks each
third year, well over 300 people, 8 bands, 500 each band,
plus a little money to pay Matt Q for amps and PA, and Dusty for the Drums.

Promotion/sponsorship
I think we did a fair job of promotion this year.
it was on a few newspaper sites, and entertainment blogs.
Thanks To Whorehay of RFB, and Lee Joseph of Dionysis records.
Also huge thanks to Kristena, for doing the Myspace and Facebook.
and we had 1000 flyers made, (thanks to Jonpaul for the flyer, and to Sean
from Double Crown records for having them printed up)
and I had them in Music stores and record and surf shops, I went back to many of them on the monday before the event, and they were all gone.
Dave Arnson and others put some in LA (Amoeba etc.)
Ryan of Secret Samurai even saw some posted at his rehearsal place in SD,
and he didn't put them up there. That is wild.
Plus Lorenzo, you can't put flyers for a show at another bar, in a Bar in HB.
they will throw them away fast.
I left 100 at Guitar center in Fountain Valley all they were all taken the lady said, not thrown away. But just because people have a flyer, or hear about a show, doesn't mean they will go.

I know people that are Huge surf fans, and were not at the convention.
1 even came to the starting gate to have breakfast, then as he was leaving,
wished me a good show, and drove away. WTF?????
and others said that they wanted to come, but had other things to do.
Can't people plan ahead, and make time for this event?
sheeesh.

I could go on and on about the down side of things.
I am a pessimist sometimes.
But I think that when it comes to this event.
I have done huge things.
and want it to grow. but always at a steady pace.
and to not lose the focus of why I started it.
Its about the fans of the music, and the site.
Not having a huge crowd of General Public for Free, just to make money from Sponsors.

AND

the First 2 years had a Sunday HB pier show the day after.
I was really bummed this did not happen this year.
It will return next year.

Poolboy indeed.

Jeff(btd)

I love you my friend and you are totally aligned with what I said.
You corrected me about the flyer promotion and - like I said - I was waiting for this correction.
What you have done is incredible!

(www.surfmusic.net)

bigtikidude
Poolboy indeed.

Jeff(btd)

Speaking of green hats, I have one available. Jeff I'll be glad to send it down to you Wink

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next