Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink Get Three Coffins Ready

Page 1 of 1

Well, not quite a review of Get Three Coffins Ready, since I don't think I could do a review, especially not of a band still playing. It would be like trying to write a history of something still unfolding. I don't have the perspective and I am certainly missing most of the information. We won't get into the issue of whether I have the aptitude or insight ... But reflecting just now that the Coffins are playing their last gig next month on August 13, 2010, maybe it's time to start assembling the materials for those who will come along later and write "Some Denver band, possibly surf."

I submit a list of Coffins CDs, as far as I know them.

Featuring:

NDSA Records Presents .... (NDSA 8)
Get Three Coffins Ready (NDSA 10)
The Pain of Numbers (NDSA 11)
Get Three Coffins Ready: Era III, An Experiment in Radio Science and Static Manipulation (NDSA 19)

In spite of the length of the title of the last, which is perhaps a spoof on one of my essays, it is just one CD.

Compilations:

Mile High Low Life (Fivecore)
Long Live The New Flesh (NDSA-0020)

The last also includes instrumental cuts by the Royal Aces and the Velveteen Loveseat. I believe at least Era III and Long Live the New Flesh are still available, but maybe only by contacting the publisher, NDSA (Nocturnal Dirt Surfers Alliance). Of course, I'm not really sure how to do that other than locating Gilberto Romero around Denver in a bar or theater somewhere. There is this:

http://www.myspace.com/nocturnaldirtsurfersalliance

and there may be a FaceBook manifestation, too.

Corrections cheerfully accepted and probably extremely necessary. I believe, for example, that there were some EPs - maybe EP length CDs - before what I list above. I am not sure if they had different names or numbers or just different dates of appearance and a brief availability. Frankly, the Coffins have always been pretty mysterious to me, even though they live and operate not too far away. Mainly at night. Occasionally I run across one of them and ask, "So, what does (whatever) mean?" Or, "In what way do songs X and Y differ?" Sometimes they tell me. Sometimes they just smile and pass along their way.

Last edited: Apr 05, 2011 20:22:59

Page 1 of 1