Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Surf Declared Dead In Delaware!

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Despite half the state being at least half beach area, despite beautiful white sands and lots of beach bars and clubs there is no interest in Surf Music in the state of Delaware. Wut Happen? I've tried several times but the universal response is "Who cares!". Is there anybody out there? Hey! Snide comments welcome, yes, it's that bad!

I LOVE DELAWARE!

Surely there must be a venue that would accept a night of surf, by the Univ of Del campus, maybe right after school starts, to "signal" the "end of Summer"??

Would be happy to lend a hand, trying to grab area bands (Maryland, DC, NJ, Pa.) - if U need an MC, just ask!!

LET'S PUT ON A SHOW!!

Unsteady Freddie

http://www.facebook.com/unsteady.freddie

Tried several times with who?

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

My good friend Joe LaSorte lives there...yeah, if you know, or have heard of him, he's a blues guy himself but he has asked several times about surf bands in the area...i don't know of any...he has a conda here on Kauai and comes to see The TO's twice a year!! He sits in with another band that i work with...he's a smokin' player but NOT surf!! I figure that's ok, he's still a great guy...he says he'd love to get us back there and do some shows so it is possible....

The TakeOffs
"Kauai's Only All-Instrumental Surf Band"
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-TakeOffs/312866840587

The problem is lack of interest from musicians. I've ran several ads on Craigslist with no serious replies. I've played in this area for 35 years, I know alot of musicians, no one is interested. Bear in mind Delaware is tiny, the community of musicians is small, everybody knows everybody.It's hard not to. I think a few bars or restaurants could be persuaded to have a surf band but I can't get that far without having a band together. I'll run another ad and see what happens.

I think we have a member (or two) from Delaware. And then there was "Brad & The Bombers" from the 80's. Good luck finding some folks to play with!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Finding like-minded people to form a band is difficult no matter where you are. Add the fact that you want to play a specific form of music that is not in the mainstream... naturally its going to be even more difficult. Don't be too discouraged. Even here in So Cal where there are arguably more surf type bands than anywhere, you still end up playing in bands with the same small group of guys. Best of luck!

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Surf has existed in Delaware in the past but not now. The biggest problem is that I'm not good enough on guitar to play most leads, my primary is keys and vocals. I know plenty of drummers and bass players and since surf doesn't require a PA thats not an issue. And I know all about specialty music being a hard sell as I play solo jazz piano. I'll keep trying, that and practicing up on guitar.

We feel your pain, Bamboozer. Please consider posting a classified at the NESMA site - it worked like a charm for The Aquatudes!
http://www.nesmasurf.org/classifieds.htm
You never know who else might be interested from your area, and this is a very focused resource for your search. Do it! And let us know how you make out.

*Dick B.
The Aquatudes
http://www.aquatudes.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Aquatudes/107419619521

I still believe we can pull some bands from not-too-far-away if we "build" a "special event" - bands (esp. NESMA bands) from Maryland, Virginia, Washington DC, Pennsylvania, New Jersey

willing to lend a hand organizing

UNSTEADY FREDDIE

http://www.facebook.com/unsteady.freddie

Reverb Galaxy loves the Delaware shore! Though I'm personal to Lewes, Let's make something happen! DC is like 10 minutes... OK maybe a little longer but not too much. Lot's of bands in our area to choose from, drop me a line.
jumpblu@verizon.net

Check out the North East Surf Music Alliance web site

The 'NESMA’ classifies at www.NESMAsurf.org

Someone is looking to put together a band in Delaware and play out.

Mike
9thwavesurf.com
NESMASURF.org

Thats me! Looks like I'll be hooking up with a band forming in Philly so it's going well (so far).

SUCCESS!!! Band did first practice and it's going well. Thanks to NESMA and Surfguitar101! Very Happy

When you get up to gig speed and ready to play out, send us (NESMA) an email. Let me know if you'd like to be part of the NESMA band net work. I wish you the luck and skill.

Mike - NESMA

Mike
9thwavesurf.com
NESMASURF.org

Surf in Delaware is not dead!!! Brad and the Bombers play on! Check out our FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/Brad-and-the-Bombers-129351573798326/

Brad

Sure music alive and well in Delaware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCJxtk6NpfA&fbclid=IwAR1N2rGNXU8TvApcYmQGu3T7y3qynWQkKM5s25whhepjZKtMK11lLYRK2vs

Facebook: Brad and the Bombers

Disclaimer: I am not in Delaware.

But the discussion in general terms is pertinent to any musician and reminds me of a passage from my second-favorite book:

'If [Tom Sawyer] had been a great and wise philosopher, like the writer of this book, he would now have comprehended that Work consists of whatever a body is obliged to do, and that Play consists of whatever a body is not obliged to do. And this would help him to understand why constructing artificial flowers or performing on a tread-mill is work, while rolling ten-pins or climbing Mont Blanc is only amusement. There are wealthy gentlemen in England who drive four-horse passenger-coaches twenty or thirty miles on a daily line, in the summer, because the privilege costs them considerable money; but if they were offered wages for the service, that would turn it into work and then they would resign.'

By this I mean that conveying a sense of desperation or neediness often shifts or reverses the power dynamic. 'Can you climb my mountain?' is a very different proposition to 'Will you please step over this speed bump?' People, and men in particular, respond very differently to a challenge than to a request. Make them want it by making it hard(er) to obtain and suddenly it's a competition of sorts and they may suddenly show more interest and determination.

By the same token, knowing there are parameters and a plan is also psychologically enticing. 'Well, we're trying to do a surf band like we used to do but we may mix in some classic rock/oldies etc. for variety etc.' I believe this is a mistake. People go to McDonald's because a) they know what they want and b) they know what they will get. When Sean Connery first auditioned for James Bond they tried to soften his accent and make him a bit less menacing. He responded 'You take me as I am or not at all.' Venues and events also appreciate clarity and brevity. I have been astounded at times that my (non-surf) full band with full vocals (including male and female fronts) and doing the proverbial variety set has a frequent hard time getting booked despite a long list of reviews full of compliments about our sound and professionalism. The surf band's only real challenge is one of scheduling ie trying to find open dates at venues that correspond with our members' calendars. It's surf or bust and after only 8 months I have been quite surprised at venues' willingness, even eagerness, to book us - my theory is that they can list us online or put our flyers up without any confusion or questions regarding the genre on offer. If you don't like fish today, there will be chicken tomorrow etc.

The point(s) of all this: be clear and demanding and professional even if the profession part comes later. Potential bandmates are demonstrating their abilities to you, not the other way round. Give them specific audition pieces up to and including the demand that they play it solo or possibly just with a click track or a scratch guitar lead for guidance. Give them feedback (not the amplified kind) quickly on the day of or shortly after the audition, good or bad. You never know who they might talk to and even if they didn't get the gig they might say positive (or negative) things and perk up someone else's interest. A Craigslist or a Bandmix ad that also clearly spells out the band, the role and the expectations are actually welcomed in a world where 'let's get together and jam and see where it goes' is the uninspiring coin of the realm.

More stick and less carrot sounds like a recipe for putting people off but in my experience it heightens their interest and energy.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 06:45:58

I’m from Pittsburgh, but I spend a lot of time in Delaware... I’ve always found it surprising that there are not some surf bands kicking it down there. Not exactly sure why that is, but I surely intend to bring Vertigo-Go down there. Back home in the burgh We’ve somehow managed to get ourselves in the position of actually being asked to do gigs more than we pursue them. And we’re not the only ones! The Turbosonics are an amazing surf band and play in town all the time! On top of all this we now have about half a dozen bands in town play either straight up surf or some variation thereof. This may seem off topic, but my point is... if we can pull this off in Pittsburgh, PA, you can do it ANYWHERE! We will definitely bring some surf to slower lower Delaware!

www.instagram.com/_the.outer.limits_
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX7iIpcAvL8In2HY9I7QoPw
www.theouterlimits.bandcamp.com
www.facebook.com/vertigogo.surf

Perplexing is it not? Forty five miles of white sand beach complete with waves and no surf scene, no surf musicians. I almost had a band together, until they discovered they could get gigs doing rockabilly and split. There are musicians who like surf here, but their not interested in forming a surf band, not even a rock-instro band which is what I would prefer. Feel free to prove me wrong, but surf remains a non starter in this state

Goto Page: 1 2 Next