Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink Ready Men – Get Ready! (Norton Records)

Page 1 of 1

Ready Men – Get Ready! (Norton Records)

The Ready Men were an amazing Surf Music and Beer Stompers band from Minnesota, kings of the dancefloor on their own time and were named after their lead guitar player Kirk Ready.
During their existence they’d released only one 45rpm record by Bangar with probably the wildest version ever of the traditional Shortnin’ Bread (clearly the version that inspired the Cramps to re-recorded it for their album Stay Sick) with the Astronauts influenced song Surfer’s Blues on the flipside.
Due to their Geographical location and to the fact that the vocal themes were sung by their drummer – John Briggs, is easy to assume that they were influenced the Trashmen. However, as you can read on the Cd booklet, they claim they were more influenced by the Astronauts.
From all the collection of songs presented here, only the already referred Shortnin’ Bread and Surfer’s Blues together with Disintegration and Wine, Wine, Wine! were recorded on a professional studio (in my opinion, the latter two were probably intended to be their 2nd single). All the other songs come from home recordings, with exception for the tracks 9 and 19 which are radio presentations recorded at Dayton’s Department Store, Southerdale, Minnesota by the local radio. The home recordings suffer from the lack of sound quality, and even though they can be considered very interesting, they aren’t exactly the ultimate version of those songs (list of the songs included here: Baja, Wipe Out, My Woodie, Miserlou, Pipeline, Lucille, Jack the Ripper, Kuk, Moon Dawg, Walk Don’t Run, What I’d Surf, Baby What Do You Want Me to Do, Disintegration).
Overall, I consider the Cd worth for the first 4 tracks, which are absolutely brilliant, and it’s always interesting to hear their home recordings. I would almost risk saying that Disintegration must have been influenced by the Surfaris Wipe Out, but this would need a chronological check.
The split 45rpm The Ready Men vs. the Yetti Men is also available from Norton Records with the vocal Shortnin’ Bread and the instro Disintegration plus the vocal My Baby Left Me and the instro Break Time by the Yetti Men which are absolutely different.
Highly recommended both the Cd and the vinyl.

Page 1 of 1