Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink Lost Legends of Surf Guitar Vol. 3 – Cheater Stomp! Sundazed

Page 1 of 1

Lost Legends of Surf Guitar Vol. 3 – Cheater Stomp! (Sundazed)

What’s wrong with the pressing and distribution of these compilations? I’ve never found it in any record store in Portugal, then try to order from one web store just to receive one e-mail two days later with one apology but they couldn’t satisfy my order and would return the money to my account, ended up buying the 1st volume at the High Rockabilly in 2006 but they only had this volume on that stall.

Almost 10 month looking for it, until I bought the 4th volume at the Rockabilly Rave in 2007, once again they didn’t have any of the other volumes. Meanwhile, a friend of mine sorted me out with some Cd-r back copies of the 2nd and the 3rd volume. Only now I manage to buy on 2nd hand the 3rd volume on ebay (and by the look of it I’ll have to forget to buy the 2nd volume as the prices asked on some websites are unrealistic for one Cd and it’s not even available on Sundazed website). Luckily enough I got this 3rd volume quite cheap from ebay, altogether P&P £3.30 (and I was willing to pay more if that was the case).

Just because of that I’ll write this odd review only for this volume of the series (at least, for the time being). Although, I truly believe that what really counts is the music itself, having the Cd rather than only the songs on a Cd-r back copy or mp3s is quite great. Above all, the booklet that comes with the Cd is full of liner notes with one big text written by John Blair, and complimentary notes written by Phil Dirt, Steven J. McParland and Richard Delvy. This liner notes contains loads of valuable information about the songs. I’ve never realized before that all the songs have the same producer – Richard Delvy. This was enough to give me a whole new perspective over this compilation.

Overall I believe this a great collection of tracks, very consistent and therefore quite hard to pick some highlights. There are 20 songs on the cd, 3 of them were previously unreleased tracks by Thom Starr & the Galaxies (2 of them are originals and the other one is one version of Belaires’ Mr. Moto). The first chords of the Cd at Cheater Stomp by the Fabulous Playboys really reminds me Billy Lee Rileys intro of Red Hot but soon enough the song gains its own identity and reveals a great surf instrumental. Moving to the next song – Squad Car, although my favorite all-time version of the song is by Eddie & the Showmen, this version by his ex band partner Paul Johnson on his project PJ & Artie is interesting enough to deserve a place here.

My next pick would be Hot Cinders by the Progressives which is in my opinion one great song. Together with the Kenny & the Fiends Moonshot, we can say that Dot Records is very well represented here on this compilation. Two other brilliant songs are Scorpion and Wildfire by another South Bay band, The Vibrants – one band that use to play concerts with the Belaires and found out recently with some young Beach Boys. Really hope I can find their single at a reasonable price soon. In my opinion, would be a big heresy not to mention the Surfriders version of Dick Dale’s Surf Beat – I even think I prefer this version.

I highly recommend this record to everybody, and think it’s a shame that Lost Legends of Surf Guitar series don’t have a better distribution in Europe. If anyone from Sundazed follows this forum, I’ll leave the question – what’s happening with the 2nd volume of this series?

Fred,
try some cd distribution places in Europe.
Like Bim Bam records, or Kamikazee records.
they may have some USA cds.

or Try Norton Records in USA.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude
Fred,
try some cd distribution places in Europe.
Like Bim Bam records, or Kamikazee records.
they may have some USA cds.

or Try Norton Records in USA.

Bim Bam usually has stalls at those weekenders I've refered. Here in London, I usually buy thing at Sounds That Swing and find there loads of American editions. Was with this particular compilations that I had problems (now only missing the 2nd volume). Although quite pricy they still can be found on Oxford Street's HMV with the only excepiton for the second volume which is not even listed on sundazed webpage nowadays.

But thanks for the tip anyway Jeff. Smile

Salzer's Records in Ventura had some of those CDs when I was there last. I could stop by and check to see if they are still there. I have all 4 of the set but if anyone is interested I'll pick them up.

I'm pretty sure that Amazon has these in the UK, France and USA. I hope that you find it. These collections are terrific!

Bob

RobbieReverb
These collections are terrific!

2nded, 3rded, 4thed... 57387thed!

I bought all 4 cds several months ago & had a hard time finding vol 2.

Not sure if this is really in stock, but this website lists vol2 as in stock.
I am able to put it in the shopping cart

http://www.badabingcdrt.com/catalog/item/581216/1374496.htm

I've seen them before at the monthly Pasadena city college flea market, which is this Sunday. I'll probably go. A vender there has on dvd
William Shatner tv appearances, including the 70's 'Rocket Man' as seen on youtube. Great stuff. I'll have to finally pick that up.

There's 3 copies for sale on ebay right now. All 'Buy it now" and all resonably priced. Here's the cheapest priced one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lost-Legends-Surf-Guitar-Vol-3-Various-Artis-/130396501834?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Music_CDs&hash=item1e5c3cb74a

These comps are great. I have them all.

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

It's a good comp, but IMO far and away the weakest of the four.

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

Page 1 of 1