Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink Arizona surf scene?

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

I have just relocated to Tucson Arizona. I know Arizona isn't the mecca of the surf guitar world, but is there anybody else out here who plays and enjoys surf? An internet search didn't turn up a whole lot.

I know a dude out that way who plays pure-one-man-band surf guitar outside the Guitar Center in Tucson... you should look for him...

Wink
-dp

Something you might try, is to check out the most popular music store in the city and chat with the dudes in the guitar department. They usually know what's going on in the city music wise and many times know who the players are. The store might even have a bulletin board where you can pin a card indicating your desire to hook up with anyone interested in surf music. Also, the store might have a local website where you might learn of others with the surf itch. Good luck with your hunt.

Ron (ToneBoy)
The Mariners (1964 to Present) www.myspace.com/themarinersfirstwave
Lonzo & Oscar (1999 to Present) www.lonzoandoscar.net
www.myspace.com/lonzoandoscarcomedy
Billy Henson & Summerstorm (2001 to Present)

My 63 strat came with a Ziggies badge inside and a Ventures pick in the case... there has to be surf music in AZ!

THe NEpTuNeS

A good friend of mine plays surf in Mesa. E-mail me off line and I will try and hook you up. The Swamp Coolers are out of Phoenix, if I'm not mistaken.
reverbmike

whoops...I meant Mesa AZ too...

I live in Phoenix, Arizona and play in a surf combo. The Del-Vamps hail from here and have recently reformed, at least in name. Not sure who else plays surf rock, maybe no one! Tucson is a mystery to me except for the Swamp Coolers.

PM me if you want to get togther. Maybe we can catch a show or something.

SSIV

I cant remember where he moved to , but A guy I played with once,
has a band in Arizona called Killer Wail.
I'll try to get ahold of him.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff: They are from Flagstaff.

SSIV

Hey! Here's what I know about the Arizona surf scene. We, that is, The Swamp Coolers, are in the Phoenix area and are gearing up for summer. I heard the Del-Vamps have reformed, they're also from the Phoenix area. The Route 66 Killers are in Flagstaff, Killer Wail, also from Flagstaff, disbanded but they're bass player is in a blues band called Cat Black and the Prowlers, and Dean Stanton has a one-man surf show outside Guitar Center in Scottsdale on the weekends. As for Tucson, I don't know what's there.

Steve (Cherndog)

www.theswampcoolers.com
www.myspace.com/theswampcoolers

It's time to knock it off, but I can't help myself. Remember "Tom Swifties"? So, OK: "Is there an Arizona Surf scene?" he asked drily. And, of course, if you like you can substitute Colorado for Arizona and highly for drily. That would even be a double entendre of sorts, or would have been a few decades back, as in "Oh, wow, man. I am, like, highly incensed at your implication. (Who-o-a! Did you feel that?)"

Conceived and keyed in the Peoples' Repubic of Boulder.

No aspersions on the Arizona scene intended. It sounds interesting and I only regret it's outside of convenient driving range.

Of course there's a surf scene in Arizona.... haven't you guys seen "North Shore?"
Brilliant cinema! hahaha
"He's so haole, he doesn't even know he's haole!"

I'll contact you AZ cats next time I'm in PHX on biz.

Steve
The Apollo Four 2012-present
https://www.facebook.com/ApolloFour/
The Verbtones 2002-2012

cherndog: Sorry! I thought the Swamp Coolers were from down south. I guess I need to get out more often!

SSIV

bigtikidude
I cant remember where he moved to , but A guy I played with once,
has a band in Arizona called Killer Wail.
I'll try to get ahold of him.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I'm always amazed at what a small world it is. I used to e-mail Les, Killer Wail's bass player. I saw them perform in Cottonwood, AZ. Don't know if they are still around. Their web page is gone, and their "friends link" disappeared from my MySpace page several months ago.

My Web Site - Tunes - Pictures - Guitar Projects - Hard Rock Cafe Guitar Pins

I know this thread is ancient, but just wanted to chime in that we are from Arizona!

Tucson actually is a fairly fertile place for surf and surf + spaghetti western influenced music.

(defunct) Thee Jaguar Sharks

Plus! Other stuff not surf: https://soundcloud.com/jamesmileshq
Enjoy every minute

Tucson has lots of sandy beaches.....no waves to speak of though. LMAO

I think the Mission Creeps are active down Tucson way, aren't they??? Not sure how surfy they are. I wasn't into surf when I lived there....sure miss Tucson though.

Will

"You're done, once you're a surfer you're done. You're in. It's like the mob or something. You're not getting out." - Kelly Slater

The Luau Cinders

Meat Puppets are from Arizona... oh wait, they aren't surf...but they are still from Arizona! And they are awesome!!!...maybe you can work on your surf version of "Lake of Fire"? Or "Plateau"?

The perfect Arizona surf song would be called Tonto Surfs the Rim.

I think it is currently called Silver Bullet.

Flagstaff needs a surf band!

I've tried to get gigs in both Flag and Tucson, but the feeling I get from them is "keep out the infidels".

(defunct) Thee Jaguar Sharks

Plus! Other stuff not surf: https://soundcloud.com/jamesmileshq
Enjoy every minute

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next