Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Suggestion Box »

Permalink Vocabulary section

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

DannySnyder
I suspect Ferenc citing that exact date was a bit tongue in cheek. It's generally accepted that the 3rd wave was a result of the movie. Not that lots of bands started after it, but that existing bands became more popular and entered into a more public consciousness.

That makes sense. But why is that notion generally accepted? We started in '96 and technically fall into the "third wave", but Pulp fiction had nothing to do with us starting up. I think the whole first, second, third wave thing is bunk. It over simplifies the whole deal and many bands don't fit neatly into these categories.

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

shivers13

DannySnyder
I suspect Ferenc citing that exact date was a bit tongue in cheek. It's generally accepted that the 3rd wave was a result of the movie. Not that lots of bands started after it, but that existing bands became more popular and entered into a more public consciousness.

That makes sense. But why is that notion generally accepted? We started in '96 and technically fall into the "third wave", but Pulp fiction had nothing to do with us starting up. I think the whole first, second, third wave thing is bunk. It over simplifies the whole deal and many bands don't fit neatly into these categories.

You are both correct, I was being tongue in cheek, but that date is very useful. There were two kinds of bands that formed after PF- the generic bands that played laundry list surf hits, and those that brought something vital to the genre.

Danny, lots and lots of bands started after the movie, it was an explosion. It was amazing to see. Of course, the internet had a lot to do with that too.

Norman, fwiw, Phil Dirt had an alternate take on the wave thing. The first wave is easily defined. The second wave was bands that were surf influenced but took on other influences. The third wavers are bands that attempted to go back to the original sound. Maybe not a perfect classification system, but better than merely using a dating system.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

PolloGuitar
Norman, fwiw, Phil Dirt had an alternate take on the wave thing. The first wave is easily defined. The second wave was bands that were surf influenced but took on other influences. The third wavers are bands that attempted to go back to the original sound. Maybe not a perfect classification system, but better than merely using a dating system.

Well, by what you're saying I don't agree with Phil's take either. In the so-called third wave, (man, I hate using that term), there were lots of bands that brought in different influences... The Cads played surf with a heavy exotic and Shadows vibe and The Bomboras had a heavy garage vibe and I never considered The Ghastly Ones to be 100% trad either. We've always mixed in elements of garage, Biker Fuzz and a little Misfits and Screamin' Lord Sutch here and there. BTW, sorry about this becoming another "wave" thread.

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

This 3rd wave discussion is funny to me because the only surf music I currently own is the Pulp Fiction soundtrack. I'm a trend monger! Hooray!

I signed this.

"reverb-pan-locking-travel-latch-bar-thing" : what is that thing called?

not positive, but I think its called a Brake.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

dp
"reverb-pan-locking-travel-latch-bar-thing" : what is that thing called?

On my Twin I call those things "screws", but you are obviously talking about something I can't afford and I'm now jealous of.

I signed this.

what about those "piggy-back knurled-knob sliding-hook amp-head fastener-bar" things: what are they called?

I always liked the sound of "tilt-back legs"... I think there is a band name in there somewhere...ie: Jeff Tiki and the Tilt Back Legs...

I have 1 tilt front leg.
Confused

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude
I have 1 tilt front leg.
Confused

You are a knurled knob. Razz

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

I try.

Jeff(bigtikidude)