Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink MOD reverb tanks?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

Well, looking at the Mod pan in question, it appears that the transducers are as tight as a sailor's knot. Furthermore, there is already a wee blob of glue on the spring hook/transducer hook connection. The springs themselves are also joined together tightly with a crimped brass grommet. Not much to do here.

Also, I did notice that the aforementioned brass grommet of the Mod pan is much larger than on its Accutronics counterpart. I wonder how this affects the sound?

SSIV

LHR
Well, looking at the Mod pan in question, it appears that the transducers are as tight as a sailor's knot. Furthermore, there is already a wee blob of glue on the spring hook/transducer hook connection. The springs themselves are also joined together tightly with a crimped brass grommet. Not much to do here.

Nope, no need to mod these. These tanks seem to fix all the problems/defects of the Accutronics units. I'm really happy with mine. I'll never use a harsh ice pick bright Accutronics tank again.

Gomez -G-spring is just the best reverb unit apart from a all original Fender of the 60's.. The Accutronics tank sounds really good! I really haven't tryed to change out the reverb spring pan. To my ears the Accutronics sounds like the real deal! The drip factor is really a muting technique thats done with the right hand.. I must say Dario make great gear!!!! Very Happy

My pan just showed up, old price and missing 1 mounting grommet, no biggy i keep mine in a bag anyway, was just curious.. do you guys make a cardboard base to seal yours or just stuff em in the bag usually?

I wanna play just like him when i grow up...

Mine arrived a couple of days ago (a day early). Perfect for trying during recording.
I changed it, and right away noticed that there was more reverb at the same setting, and the drip character changed to the looser plink that I like better. I did have to dial back the controls, and the sound was indeed more like a reverb and less like a distortion unit...The overall sound of the guitar got more spacey, but did not get lost in the mix.
Overall I'm very happy.

Ran

The Scimitars

rotnroby
To my ears the Accutronics sounds like the real deal! The drip factor is really a muting technique thats done with the right hand.. I must say Dario make great gear!!!! Very Happy

I muted, baby, I muted! Nevertheless, through headphones, the new pan produced more splash than the Accutronics. But as I said earlier, even the stock pan had some audible drip when I used the 'phones to bypass the amp's speaker. The consensus on Accu pans seems to be that there are good ones and bad ones -- a roll of the dice. As you're discriminating enough to have one of Dario's tanks, I wonder if he has his own methods for ensuring that his Accu pans are all good ones? (I should add, as you did, that this is "to my ears." We're dealing with electro-mechanical devices, but as processed through a living, changing organism.)

Ice: You got me baffled, man. Mounting grommet? Bag? Cardboard base? I just hung mine on the old springs. Can you clue me in to whatever I'm missing?

Sorry missing, i didnt explain well.. my tank is homemade, and i just keep the pan in the bag that fender used in full size amps with reverb.. no big deal. i didnt see that on the old pans the cardboard cover just unscrews.. stuck it on the new one so the question is moot:)

Ah, I see. I'd never heard of tank bags before. How's it working out?

Well.. played with it awhile last night. and im underwhelmed.. my reverb is a bit smoother and cleaner sounding, hard to descibe.. can only compare it to a ampeg reverb, which i think have the best sounding reverb ever.. just different than fender..

BUT.. with my 3 old accu pans i had ok drip.. the mod removed any drip at all.. very odd

my buddy needed a tank for a 68 twin I pointed him to the MOD, seemed a better option and I herd it in the twin. Sounds really good. I wanna put it in the unit someday and check it out.
for the money you cant go wrong!

Give me reverb or give me death!
facebook.com/onenightstandards
https://www.youtube.com/scotstandard
scotstandard@yahoo.com

My bandmate Hans also ordered one of those to put in his Vibro King amp. The amp's reverb is a 3 knob that in stock form doesn't sound that wet, but it was modified to match the outboard unit very closely.
We recorded a few notes with the current pan, and we'll record again with the new one. We'll post when we get the results. Might help someone to decide.

Ran

The Scimitars

To me, analogously, the Accutronics is to the bridge pickup what the MOD is to the neck pickup - both are great! The MOD is smoother (i.e. less ditortion effect), richer and maybe fuller, but I find the tinniness of my Accutronics pan utterly charming and very surfy and the MOD doesn't have it. I'm going to stick both inside the tank and switch the cables as and when I feel like it. $18 for the MOD is a no-brainer. Build quality smokes the Accutronics.

From what everyone is saying, I'd surmise that the MOD was 'voiced' during the R&D to work with a combo amp, not a reverb unit. That makes sense because I'm sure it's atleast 100 - 1 ratio of amps to tanks. Also, keep in mind that when comparing this to an accutronics pan, the accutronics are inconsistent. So for instance, maybe Ran's MOD pan is drippier, but his original pan might have been weak, and there's an accutronics (or vintage Gibbs) that is even drippier.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

clackclack
Build quality smokes the Accutronics.

Sure does. They did it right

still waiting for mine...ups says tomorrow

peterbright wrote:

still waiting for mine...ups says tomorrow

Confused Please ask yourself "does this post add value?" before posting.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

more importantly, where is everyone ordering them from? Antique Electronic Supply or another website? I've been meaning to change mine for awhile, not happy with the sound I'm getting. thanks for all the encouraging reviews, very helpful everyone!

Mine is coming from Antique Electronic Supply via Amazon.

Arrived and installed. More drip and smoother. Had a problem with the RCA plugs as both male plugs for the tank snapped off while removing them...a trip to radio shack and I solved that problem. Has anyone else found the fender RCA plugs to be less than robust as I did? The improvement (to my ears) was similar to the tube changes I made.

I too find the Fender RCA plugs a bit on the cheap side.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012 17:15:00

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next