Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink Los Straitjackets Live DVD

Page 1 of 1

First of all, I am in no way qualified to review anything except financial statements. That being said, I picked up the LSJ Live DVD because there are no live surf music shows anywhere near where I live and it was a way I could check out a surf show.

If you know LSJ, you know they like to play up the kitch factor and this disk doesn't disappoint as I abosolutely love the opening sequence, especially the "watch phone", campy green screen parachuting, and motorcyles. After the opening sequence you get the feeling that this is going to be fun!

The boys get on stage and the first thing that you notice is that it doesn't look like a LSJ concert as much as it looks like the LSJs are an opening act for somebody else. The stage they work with is small and I don't know if it's the camera work or not, but it looks like the lighting could have been better on that small portion of the stage they were allowed to use. Also, other than the cheesy choreography they are famous for, there were no other theatrics but that is ok with me as I really just wanted to see them play.

But I did enjoy the songs (I won't go through the playlist, you can look it up) and a chance to see the playing styles (remember, I don't get to see any live surf shows). The one exception is that stupid Saline Dion Titanic song - I really hate that one live or otherwise. But I particlarly liked the encore version of Telstar.

The one point I'd like to make to all those who rag on the LSJs for not being a "true" surf band is that they actually bill themselves as "America's Instrumentalists".

With a purchase of the DVD you also get a code to download other live songs from the Yeproc website wich is a bonus.

Overall, I'm happy with the DVD although because it looks like they are an opening act it diminishes their stature on stage.

I would be really interested to hear from somebody that was at the concert. It was shot (mostly) at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco in....I can't remember the year, I think it was 2004.

https://www.facebook.com/index.php?lh=9353f9155b5ff32e14c998495fd00da4&#!/rich.derksen.7

some of the shots ( I think some of the very up close-up shots)were taken from the Galaxy theater in Santa Ana Ca.and I was at that show.

The whole tour they were on, they were Opening for Dave Alvin of the Blasters. So thats why there was equipment behind them covered up with black sheets.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

i love them and really enjoy this live DVD.
way to go!

Never surrender in finding a surfcaster

Yep, theyre my favorites too. I have the DVD and my whole family just loves watching, and listening to it.

Fin Doctors
Crashmatics

The one point I'd like to make to all those who rag on the LSJs for not being a "true" surf band is that they actually bill themselves as "America's Instrumentalists".

They really are a instrumental rock band, not a surf band. I've seen them many times.

For your next bit of viewing pleasure, may I recommend DECLASSIFIED by the Penetrators???

Will

"You're done, once you're a surfer you're done. You're in. It's like the mob or something. You're not getting out." - Kelly Slater

The Luau Cinders

I just picked a copy myself it's really good. I was pleasantly surprised on how well put together the footage was. Thumbs up! Wink

www.GearReviewDatabase.com Review the gear you love Smile

Love the LSJ DVD. It's one of my favorites. I just ordered Declassified on the strength of Staredge's recommendation. I love their music so I'm certain I'll be happy with the DVD.

When a was at the Deke/Geek Fest I was surprised to see that Danny Amis was wearing his mask while watching George Tomsco and Duane Eddy. If I had one of those masks I'd only wear it when I was on duty. Smile

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

You'll hate it.......only because you know that you can't experience it. Sad

Coolest.
Band.
Ever.

Will

"You're done, once you're a surfer you're done. You're in. It's like the mob or something. You're not getting out." - Kelly Slater

The Luau Cinders

Staredge
You'll hate it.......only because you know that you can't experience it. Sad

Coolest.
Band.
Ever.

I appreciate that you put me onto it.

Buy me a mai tai at Kon Tiki next time I'm in town...we'll call it even. ;)

Will

The Luau Cinders

Staredge
Buy me a mai tai at Kon Tiki next time I'm in town...we'll call it even. ;)

Sounds fair.

Page 1 of 1