Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink Why you like surf music

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next

WR

Jon
It makes it less embarrassing when your mom walks in on you while you're pretending to surf on your futon if you're listening to it.

shit, dude, that's what you're afraid to get caught doin'?

I had my mom walk in on me once - I was 16 and it was the first time my girlfriend slept over .... we were NOT pretending to surf on the futon, though one might mistakingly think we were practicing our body-board skills. Shocked I was also playing non-surf music at 3 am way too loud and I don 't think it would have been any less awkward had it been surf-music.

as things turned out, I married this girl 14 years later. Cool

WR

Too much detail......Way too much.

However.......What tracks did you listen to whilst ..... ?

Jon
Well, I'm 23 years old, and I live in my mom's basement. Also, there are no girls anywhere near my room. Just me. In my underwear. Damn, I shouldn't have said that. Laughing

Hey, that sounds just like your average surf show... "just me" and "no girls in sight" -- just with less clothes!?!?

Muwhahahahah

~B~

Theres a lot of answers.
Probrably first and foremost its so American. Like hamburgers and hot dogs. Whats there not to like.
Secondly, it makes me do the head shake.
Thirdly, its associated with water, which is such a mystery.
Forthly (is that even a word?), the eq'd and servantial reverberated tone of the electric guitar, while plucked ferosiously over a blast of backbeated drumming and bass and cranked through my awesomely overated 5.1 listening devices, or my miniscul 6x9 Jeep (see Woody wannabe pink surf board loaded) speakers, but most indubadibly sounding best on my Sennheisshnatz headphone listening devices (thank God for ears) is somewhat like taking jazz and swing and rock and throwing it into a big pan and cooking on high for a 'couple years' and letting it sit for 30 - 40 more before really enjoying its fine agelessness.
Fifthly, wait I know thats not a word.

Music, no matter what kind, is such a priviledge. Can you imagine what life would be like if we couldn't 'hear' it.

Well, maybe I'll take that back since today, while ga$$ing up, this kids got who knows what cussin and swearin an dropped tuning 'screaming for lack of a better word six six six ahhhhhhh outa his hyunyabling car and the folks going in an outa the store were like totally ignoring it. Me too (though none of us were lol) And it was cranked. When he pulled out he even made his fancy wheels go bleepblip.

Did my mom an dad look at surf this way? I wonder. Was it really that bad and scary intruding 'back then'?

Either way it makes me long for a 65 GTO that you can't see because of the smoke from the tires (but you can hear the surf music when the tires stop Cool

Good instrumental surf music takes you places you don't expect...it's not just three chords and out.
reverbmike

SurfBandBill

Jon
Well, I'm 23 years old, and I live in my mom's basement. Also, there are no girls anywhere near my room. Just me. In my underwear. Damn, I shouldn't have said that. Laughing

Hey, that sounds just like your average surf show... "just me" and "no girls in sight" -- just with less clothes!?!?

Muwhahahahah

~B~

Laughing

i like surf music because of the memories it dredges up from my first years of surfing back in the 60's. back when all there was to ride was a longboard and no leash. back when we had surfer stomps at the high school for the last period of the day on friday in the gym. back when surfing movies used to tour on the east coast with bands playing during the intermission.

i like surf music because it is timeless.

i like surf music because i can play it with people of all age groups and it makes everyone smile. (when insect surfer dave was here in the spring, we had a jam session with ages 15 to 54, and EVERYONE was happy and energized the next day)

yo' momma

www.surfintheeye.com

SURFS UP Exclamation

From a born and bred central coaster (Great Lakes, metro Chicago), it should be a big ugly no-no to like surf much more than Chicago Blues. But, that's how it is. Surf is so much more fun.

'Am also a big afficioado of Tiki and lounge, and well, surf music was desperately loved since the glory days, even tho there are no tides and the water stinks sometimes of steel mills.

For every reason I can give for loving Surf Music, there's probably just as many reasons that I can't explain. There's just something indescribable about it that instantly makes me a happier person the minute I hear it.
Mind you, that's hardly surprising when you consider that most of my earliest Guitar related memories involved The Atlantics & The Ventures.

Very Happy

JakeDobner
It combines west coast hip-hop with east coast gangsta rap.

Turns out I haven't changed much in three years!

Simple, Surf Music has Lots of Guitar!!!!!! Very Happy

www.myspace.com/thethunderheads

Thunderhead
Simple, Surf Music has Lots of Guitar!!!!!! Very Happy

As do many genres that suck. Yet there are good genres with no guitar at all.

Because there is no singer complaining about how poor his relationships with women are, no boring guitar solos, just a steady beat with well orchestrated parts and it sounds like California no matter where you are.

Stormtiger
Because there is no singer complaining about how poor his relationships with women are, no boring guitar solos, just a steady beat with well orchestrated parts and it sounds like California no matter where you are.

My issue with surf music currently is that it isn't orchestrated how I like it. I find it a little too sparse for my liking. Well, some of it anyways. There is some great stuff out there, but generally speaking.

Why do I like Surf Music?

I was just thinking this today......

I like to see the big musician ego deflate when, after I send charts and recordings that they don't bother listening to, realize not all surf rock is like "Wipeout" and they have no idea how to play the bridge to "Penetration".

What day is Surf Rock's birthday? Looks like Surf Rock and I was born the same year. Maybe we are both Libras?

I LOVE the drums, I can't imagine a drummer wanting to play any other genre.

I LOVE the guitars, when it's done well, the musicianship puts other genres (except maybe jazz) to shame. The guitars don't hide behind a 2 foot thick wall of distortion to hide the fact that the person holding it can't play.

When I'm playing surf on my MP3 on my way to work I feel like I'm in a movie and surf is the soundtrack.

Maybe the unique surf rhythm and notes create a harmonic that is in tune with the body's own rhythm and harmonics and so surf music "resonates" with your body.

Then again, maybe it's just really fun and you can dance to it.

https://www.facebook.com/index.php?lh=9353f9155b5ff32e14c998495fd00da4&#!/rich.derksen.7

Pappa_Surf
I LOVE the guitars, when it's done well, the musicianship puts other genres (except maybe jazz) to shame. The guitars don't hide behind a 2 foot thick wall of distortion to hide the fact that the person holding it can't play.

Really?

I like to see the big musician ego deflate when, after I send charts and recordings that they don't bother listening to, realize not all surf rock is like "Wipeout" and they have no idea how to play the bridge to "Penetration".

Really?

Welcome back Zak! Laughing

In a soap opera announcer voice:

"The role of Zak is now being played by Jake Dobner."

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Really!..."...when it's done well..."

https://www.facebook.com/index.php?lh=9353f9155b5ff32e14c998495fd00da4&#!/rich.derksen.7

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next