Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink The String thread

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 29 10 11 12 1328 29 Next

Ryan, This is timely, have you changed your mind about the nickle strings?

I have tried both snake oil and the Curt Magnans, and found them to be the same! Funny both brands are hard to come by. The good news is Curt M, makes flats too, so I am putting in an order to check those out.

THe NEpTuNeS

surfneptune
Ryan, This is timely, have you changed your mind about the nickle strings?

Well, there are qualities about pure nickel strings that I like. There are also qualities about steel that I really like as well. Nickel plated steel seems like a good meeting ground for me (a la Rotosound). I do go back and forth though. I should stop experimenting with strings and write more songs.

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

This is what I use Spanish Guitar No. 10 complete pack

Same as Dick used in the first few years

Hi, new to this form of communication, but I've learned a lot!

Let's see, I use the Fender Jaguar/Jazzmaster set (0.011-0.050 plain G) SS flats on my RI Jaguar (surf green, of course)

Rotosound RS88LD nylon tape wound (0.065-0.115) on my '96 Precision Bass (string-thru-body) wonderful woody tone!

Ernie Ball Slinky (0.013-0.072) on my Danelectro Innuendo Baritone, tuned A-A (a fourth below standard tuning) I like the Dano strings tuned to B better, but this way I can have both A and B tunings by using a capo for the B tuning. I guess I'll have to buy another Baritone.....sheeeeeesh!

I use a few more guitars to record, but I don't want to bore you guys....

Say, somebody was talking a lot about setups. Have you heard of www.fenderjaguar.net/setup,htm ? I used his excellent instructions on setting up my bridge and mute and everything works and sounds GREAT, just thought I'd pass that along incase you hadn't seen it,yet. Thanks.

Sandy

www.myspace.com/sandyandthesurfsonics

www.myspace.com/sandyandthesurfsonics
www.surfsonics.com

picked up some flatwound 11's today.

theyre useless for most "normal" music. but i really dig the sound for surf.

Strat & Tele: Snake Oil, or D'Addarios 10-52

Gretsch: GHS Flatwound 11's

After a brief stint with some DR roundwounds, I'm back to the TI flatwounds, extra light (11 on the high E). A very balanced set of strings, with a great clean or overdriven tone. I'll probably just stick with these.

http://www.reverbnation.com/thedeadranchhands

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZEW74mHjQk

Has anyone tried GHS Nickel Rockers, they're round core/wound but rolled flat. Stevie Ray Vaughan used them, i've never found a source to buy them in the uk. I would imagine they feel like a flatwound but a deal more flexible.

I'm trying 13s flat Pyramids on my Jag. It's my first Pyramid set and my first 13s. Until now I was playing with 12s. The Pyramids look really well crafted. You can feel the quality. I was so happy with them until I started to play!
The D and G string have lower volume than the other strings! I can't figure out why. Any idea?

I did truss rod adjustment and filed a little bit the nut for the G string. Also I filed a little bit more the saddles. Rolling Eyes

Every word is like an unecessary stain on silence and nothingness.

I tried different pickup heights but nothing improve the problem....
Do you believe it's a defective set?

spy
I tried different pickup heights but nothing improve the problem....
Do you believe it's a defective set?

Could be. I had a set of Pyramid Gold .013s that had a D string that would not intonate. Just a bad string. I've also experienced their high E snapping after a minute of playing. That's one reason I only use Thomastik-Infeld flats right now. I've never had a problem with their strings.

Ryan

Thanks Ruhar for your reply. I'll try Thomastiks...
Which Thomastik are you using?

spy
Thanks Ruhar for your reply. I'll try Thomastiks...
Which Thomastik are you using?

Their Jazz Swing strings

Ryan

Oh, I won't like these. They're thinner than 12s!!!!
Only high and low E are a little bit thicker. I need real 13s otherwise I could keep my 12s and put a 13 high E.
Chromes are 12-16-24-32-42-52,
Jazz Swing are 13-17-21-28-39-53 and
Pyramid are 13-18-26-36-47-56, that is what I wanted!

spy:

what kind of guitar are you using those Pyramids on?

Jazzmaster? Jaguar? Stratocaster? something else?

have you looked into bridge string height over the pickups?

how about pickup adjusment (up & down)...

also: what kind of pick arte you using?

dp, the Pyramids are on an AVRI Jaguar with the stock tort pick arte! The bridge saddles are in perfect radius and the pickups are adjusted so high and low E are in the same height....

I finally found Pyramids in a store so that I didn't have to wait to order them.
I got the Pure Nickel in .11-.48, they didn't have .11-.50 which is what I normally use.

But man, these strings are awesome, and I wanted to be as subjective as possible but these strings are just too good.
I'm definitely gonna be ordering a few more sets in .11-.50 after payday.

The Phantomatics on Facebook
The Phantomatics on Instagram
The Phantomatics on Bandcamp

I was looking at those and they are crazy expensive in pure nickel, but worth it? Great!

I use modern strings on my Strats, but do most Jazzmaster people use Pure Nickel to tame them a bit? The only nickel/steel I had on there were 10's and that wasn't working due to gauge. Guess I need to pick up a set of 12 - 52 nickel/steel and see for myself.

Owner of Gunbarrel Custom Guitars!

Ruhar
I just tried out a set of the mysterious Snake Oil Brand Strings basically because I wanted to see for myself what all the hype is about. SOB "Vintage" strings are a boutique Pure Nickel over round core string made by seemingly one guy?

I used ten Packs of SOB ME+ , finally I've found better Strings

The Best strings I've tested !

Check this ones 0.11 Cheap and Faster !!

the Panteras

thesjkexperience
I was looking at those and they are crazy expensive in pure nickel, but worth it? Great!

Short answer: Yes!

The Phantomatics on Facebook
The Phantomatics on Instagram
The Phantomatics on Bandcamp

Goto Page: Previous 1 29 10 11 12 1328 29 Next