Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink 3 Balls of Fire - "Jet Set Guitars"

Page 1 of 1

You don't hear 3 Balls of Fire discussed very much here on SG101, perhaps rightly so. Though they are associated with the surf scene, they are much more of a guitar led instrumental band. In the past, their albums have featured some lengthy layered works that would immediately disqualify them from the trad camp. Bandleader Mike Vernon mostly fingerpicks, plays through small Fender combos and improvises up a storm. He also has a huge knowledge of chord theory and harmony, and isn't afraid to use it.

So what's in it for you? Jet Set Guitars truly captures a mid to late 60s atmosphere, not only in tone, but in a laid back attitude that conjures up images of ace players laying down their own music in between one take sessions, or letting the tape roll during an after hours jam. The cigarettes and whiskey are tangible elements. If you like adjectives like "solid groove" and "warm vibe", this is the album for you. It simply reeks of "hi-fi" analog, the mistakes are intentional and uncorrected. And, every song is short, melodicly minded and well crafted.

Many of the songs are based on a simple, syncopated riff that sets up the groove. That basic simplicity ties the music to predecessors like Vernon's heros George Tomsco or Link Wray and keeps the arrangements from venturing any where near being labeled progressive. And all the guitar work is just so damn tasteful, even if it's a fuzz or wha-wha part. A lot of times, Vernon's blurring of reverbia and jazz makes me wonder if this is what Duke Robillard would sound like if he had ever heard of the surf genre.

Only the first song, "Wildfire" could pass for surf, with a double picked melody, standard back beat and stripped down arrangement. On "Las Vegas Scene" Vernon's arrangement is sublime- an ass-backwards bass, drum and tambourine groove set against honky tonk piano and country-politan chicken pickin'. It's so live you can hear Mike call out instructions to the band as they roll through it. A cover of the Beach Boys' "God Only Knows" is kind of an oddball track here, not because it is the only cover, but due to it's quiet nature, with 4 carefully arranged guitars handling all of the Brian Wilson's harmonies. The 4 bar bridge turn around is perfectly done with a little extra reverb on heavily muted strings. When necessary the songs are colored with orchestral elements like the vibes in "Jet Set Guitars", or the woodwinds in "Dark Eyes". Oh yeah, I really dig the fuzz bass lead on "Pedal Pusher".

Mike Vernon has the confidence to be able to completely explore a theme, in this case an album of 60s moods. He doesn't have to prove anything about his abilities (both technical and compositional), a mistake that many bands make on their freshmen releases. He knows he can make a record that sounds completely different from his last, and won't be tied down to a certain sound for his next. Jet Set Guitars has not left my top five for the last three months- I highly recommend this album.

--ferenc

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Dang! CD Baby is temporarily out. They seem to be the only one that carries it. See what one recommendation from you can do for a band? I have been listening to all the samples and agree I need this. You didn't steer me wrong with your last recommendation for that obscure little band from Croatia. Practically life changing is more like it.

Nice review!

websurfer
Dang! CD Baby is temporarily out. They seem to be the only one that carries it. See what one recommendation from you can do for a band? I have been listening to all the samples and agree I need this. You didn't steer me wrong with your last recommendation for that obscure little band from Croatia. Practically life changing is more like it.

Nice review!

Ted James at Deep Eddy records (Deepeddy,net) will have
"Jet Set Guitars", their fine earlier albums (I'm partial to
"Firepower"), and a lot of great stuff by other fine bands, as
well. Ted's got some great prices on a lot of the cool CD's he
carries. Check Deep Eddy out. Deep Eddy is a great label, and
a great online merchant of other labels CD's, as well. Ted is a
fine musician to boot, playing a mean guitar and leading several
great Austin bands, the Nematoads and Squid Vicious.

Thanks for the great review Ferenc. It's a quality release, but I
just don't like it nearly as much as their other stuff. Different
strokes.... But I will continue to buy anything by Mike Vernon
without hesitation. He is an unorthodox but absolute master.
Seeing Mike and the 3 Balls with (and without) George Tomsco
was one of the highlights of my life.

Bob

Bob

Thanks Bob. I visited the Deep Eddy website and they did indeed hook me up. You are right--lots of cool looking stuff there.

Hey! I just found this review and the followups. Ferenc, thanks for giving Mike such a great review. And everybody else, thanks for the compliments.

Ted James
Deep Eddy Records http://www.deepeddy.net
The Nematoads http://www.nematoads.com

I am a fan of Mikes band and playing.
and hes a ok guy too.

Rolling Eyes Wink

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Page 1 of 1