Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Show Announcements »

Permalink The Madeira, The Cocktail Preachers-Champaign, IL-May 30

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

We are ecstatic to once again welcome the 'Kings of Raucous Desert Surf'...the 'Mighty' Madeira and the 'Windy City's Lords of Libation', the Cocktail Preachers, to Champaign, IL on Saturday, May 30.

The bands will be playing in a great beer garden at Mike & Molly's (105 N. Market St., Champaign, IL 61820). This venue has hosted the Coffin Daggers, the Heavies and Go! Tsunami in the recent past.

When: Saturday, May 30
Venue: Mike & Molly's
Address: 105 N. Market St., Champaign, IL 61820
Time: ~8:30p

More information to come! Hope to see you there!

Jet Sterling, Cosmic Spy
www.surfabillyfreakout.com

Hmmm

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Bwaa haa haa haaaa....

Looking forward to a good party with the Madeira and the Cocktail Preachers on May 30th at Mike & Molly's in Champaign.

In addition to the music, we will be hauling over the 10'6", 200lb Midwest Tiki Monolith: "Korn-Tiki". We will be whipping up some tropical cocktails, have a Tiki carver and perhaps more mid-century vendors. But I know music rules these boards...and just check out those bands! Wink

Jet Sterling, Cosmic Spy

What a cool flyer Jet. Nice!! Cool

Any suggestions on what to offer the surf guitar gods, so I don't go goofy (again) and agree to swap days with the other day shift guy? I don't want to repeat my goof that caused me to miss Cincinnati. I am free that weekend, otherwise.

Matt

Fast Cars & Loud Guitars!

StevieMartini

Beware of the two-headed Pongracic/Martini Surf Monster! Twisted Evil

Surfabilly
Any suggestions on what to offer the surf guitar gods

Well, if you are talking about an offering to the 2-headed monster, I know the part in the fez likes these...

If you are talking about making an offering to Korn-Tiki...he seems to like the exotic maidens...

Jet Sterling, Cosmic Spy

StevieMartini

Second that! Awesome! Thanks, Jet!!

Jet Sterling
Beware of the two-headed Pongracic/Martini Surf Monster! Twisted Evil

That's pretty frightening!! Laughing

Jet Sterling

Surfabilly
Any suggestions on what to offer the surf guitar gods

Well, if you are talking about an offering to the 2-headed monster, I know the part in the fez likes these...

If you are talking about making an offering to Korn-Tiki...he seems to like the exotic maidens...

Mmmmmm, exotic maidens.... Drool The non-fez part of the 2-headed monster will also happily accept an offering of an exotic maiden. Oh, wait, the non-fez part of the 2-headed monster is married! Down, boy! Nevermind. Very Happy

Seriously, thanks Jet for putting this together, we are really excited to play this show - especially since we'll also be celebrating our fifth anniversary, our first show having been on June 5th, 2004. It's gonna be a great time, and it'll be great for both bands to stretch out a bit and play longer sets than usual given that we're the only two bands on the bill. It'll be a blast!!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Less than a week away!

Hope you can make it!!!

Surfy Murphy’s Beach Riot
Saturday, May 30th
Mike & Molly’s
105 N. Market St.
Champaign, IL 61820
9:00pm
$5

Jet Sterling, Cosmic Spy

Unfortunately I can't make it 'cause the (insert desired profanities or vulgarities here) I work for have suspended me for 3 days for reasons that are more their fault than my own...they're just covering their own asses. This means I gotta stretch my money for the next couple of weeks, so damnit I can't even enjoy this coming weekend like I wanted to.

IF I do happen to show up, either somebody managed to convince management that I didn't need to be suspended, or I've hit tonight's $223 million PowerBall jackpot. I won't hold my breath (might pass out) or cross my fingers (might get cramps) on this, but life tends to suck when there are people that I wouldn't waste a squirt of piss on that make my life hell "because they can."

I just hope I have a really good seat in the peanut gallery, when they get to hell 'cause I'll be pointing at them and laughing at them for thinking they'd actually make it to heaven.

Wow, sorry to hear that Matt!

I'll be there! Anyone else?

Brian
Wow, sorry to hear that Matt!

I'll be there! Anyone else?

Possibly some video Brian? Wink

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

I'm not sure Ryan. My better half takes the videos, and she isn't going this time. Maybe I can figure it out... I will try to take some photos though.

Tonight!

have fun Brian and anybody else that might be going.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Should be a good time. We are setting up a bit of an outlandish set for this thing...which we are installing starting at about 2p today. The gig will be outside and I have been watching the 10-day forecast for 10 days and have been on an emotional rollercoaster (than thing changes every 15 minutes).

Should be an interesting crowd at this based on the people who have contacted me. I do know that there will be a bachelorette party in attendance - not sure if they are doing a scavenger hunt...but who knows Brian, you might head home sporting a refreshing hickey!

Jet Sterling, Cosmic Spy

OH BOY! I checked my checking account balance, and discovered that with my recent paycheck, I've got plenty enough to indulge myself in a trip to this event! So, I'm printing out my driving directions, gonna jump in the shower real quick, and head out toward Champaign soon after I send this reply. Oh...gotta make sure the Pinto has plenty of oil and coolant, as well...shouldn't be any problem, there (drove to Columbus, OH and back, summer 2008, to Hot Rod Hula Hop IV).

I'd better stop typing, and get to gettin' ready...

Matt

You drive a Pinto? Better be careful:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glcj0szvevU

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

WOW!

I still have to drive 4.5 hours to get home, but I will be smiling the whole way!

A big thank you to Jet and the entire Surfabilly Freakout crew for putting on an incredible event! He went way above the call of duty. Both bands put on killer sets in front of probably the most enthusiastic crowd I've ever been in, plus there was great lighting, sound, and a giant Corn Tiki who breathed smoke (and kept away the downpour in time for the show).

I'll post more when I get home.

It was so great seeing the guys in the Cocktail Preachers and Madeira again. And Surfabilly Matt made it out after all!

I'm glad I was able to make it out, even though the Pinto ended up having an issue on the way there; not as bad, on the way back, but I knew what I was dealing with. When I did get there, I offered that "it's a 28 year old (29 actually) car...things can happen." Brian and I, along with Ivan, Patrick, Todd and Dane of The Madeira and Ivan's buddy Kristen (sp?) from Wisconsin were at the Cowboy Monkey when the downpour happened, to the point we ended up paying our tabs inside. It had stopped by the time we walked back to Mike & Molly's, where we found out that, according to radar, it was still a go for the show being outside.

After The Cocktail Preachers had performed, I told Phil of about 8 - 10 passersby that had stopped outside the fence during their set. If they didn't know what surf music was about before they walked by, they got a good example of it when their curiosity caused them to stop for a bit. Phil told me that, during The Madeira's set, he'd walked down to the end of the block (to Main & Market, I'll guess), and said he could hear the music from that far. This was the first time I'd seen The Cocktail Preachers without Bruce on rhythm guitar, and with his lap steel, but Phil had brought his theremin, and The Cocktail Preachers proved that there can be a place for theremin in surf instrumental music. From one of the threads here, about non surf songs as surf instrumentals, we (the audience) found out that the Beatles' "Please, Please Me," and the White Stripes' "Fell In Love With A Girl" can work as surf instrumentals.

Having missed seeing The Madeira in Cincinnati (Covington, KY), last month, I'm glad that I was able to make this show, being their last in the U.S. before their tour of Italy. From the last couple of times I've seen them, and this time was no different, it seems that the intro to "Sandstorm" at the beginning of their set is a "warning" of the musical "assault" that's about to ensue. Sure, one could grab onto something, at that point, and hope the "assault" don't get them, but I'd be willing to bet that, by the end of the song, you'll be dancing along with everybody else...even if it's just moving one's hips a bit, or tapping a foot side to side, like me (I've never been known for an ability to dance). Maybe it's the Middle Eastern influenced rhythms that mesmerize people, I don't know, but once The Madeira "gets ya" with "Sandstorm, they don't let go until the end of their set. And, of course, we're "dumb enough" to ask for more...but we got one more out of The Cocktail Preachers, as well, so it was all good. Smile

DannySnyder
You drive a Pinto? Better be careful:

LOL! That potential was limited to the sedan and runabout models, between 1970 and 1976, and mine is a 1980 wagon. A lesser known fact, and mostly because of the marque involved, is that the same potential existed with the 1974 to 1976 Mustang II, for being nothing more than a rebodied Pinto (a "Pinto in a tuxedo," as I've seen it described at a Yahoo! Pinto group). I'd like to thank Jet for having gone to where I'd "broke down," although a shot of ether had got me going again. The drive back to east central Indiana was less eventful, with the only thing I had to worry about was, the fajita sandwhich (at Cowboy Monkey) and 4 Red Stripes (1 at Cowboy Monkey, and 3 at Mike & Molly's) "haunted" me several times along the 191 miles. It's just a good thing I had the quarter windows and vents open because, for having to run the heater to keep the engine happy enough, at least I wasn't "haunted" for too long each time. Razz Embarassed Shocked

Matt

My quick review of the show...

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I have got to get the synapses firing again and sort through my pics to see if I got any good ones. I am hoping that others got some good pictures and video.

Great to see Ivan, Patrick, Todd and Dane from the Madeira; Steve, Phil, Larry and Jack from the Preachers (Bruce could not make the trip so Phil moved to guitar. Larry, who plays with Phil in Wraygun, played bass); and Brian and Matt from these parts.

It was a great night. After almost making it through the day with no rain - we got hit with a short cloudburst right after load-in. It was the only blip on the radar screen (with nothing behind it as far west as Wyoming). So we tarped over the PA and the lighting and rode it out. Luckily, it did not scare off the crowd.

What a fun night - both bands absolutely blew it up! The club owner was grinning from ear-to-ear and running around with a video camera. And yes, you could hear the music for blocks!

Thanks to all that made the trip to Champaign! I look forward to seeing the video/pics to re-live the show. But for now, I think I need another nap.

Jet Sterling, Cosmic Spy

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next