Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink LSJ Concert in Pontiac, MI

Page 1 of 1

I just want to post a short synopsis of the recent Straitjackets concert in here in Michigan, at the Crofoot Ballroom, this past Memorial Day weekend.

Let me first start off by saying the warmup groups were just fantastic, my hats off to all of them, including The Crimson Ghosts, & The Meltdowns. Great jams !!
I have to say, I went to the concert merely to see one of my favorite surf bands, Los Straitjackets..... what happened during and after, was totally unexpected.
My wife is a HUGE Straitjackets fan, as well as my two daughters. They were up front, at the stage, and passed Eddie Angel a note, saying that our family would like to meet them after the show. Eddie quickly responded, and said "yeah, meet us by the stage door when we are done".
These guys are pure class. Not only did they all come out and hang with us for pics and smalltalk, but Daddy-O took alot of extra time to just shoot the bull with my son and I about playing surf music in general.

They played all of their classic tunes as well as about 5 from their new album. The sound was just perfect, as well as their musicianship.

If any of you fellow SG101'ers EVER get the chance to see the Straitjackets live, I recommend it HIGHLY. They will inspire you to go home and play your ass off. They are a step above most all surf groups today.

Here's a pic of our group, Crashmatics, with Daddy-O.....

Fin Doctors
Crashmatics

Thanks for sharing Ken, they all seem like a bunch of nice guys. I think it no coincidence that most surf and instro bands are so friendly, I chalk it up to no singers Smile

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

This post has been removed by the author.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009 23:52:27

So who's talking about 1st wave bands? Anyway I was just being a bit cheeky. Razz

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Zak, please... dont get me wrong when I say that LSJ is a step above most all surf bands out there today..... I'm not dis-respecting ANY of the bands out there! To me, ALL real surf bands get all the respect in the world from me, and my band mates. We cover songs by Satans Pilgrims, The Detonators, Atomic Mosquitos, and a bunch more. I love all youz guys!

I just said that because of the scope of work they have published. The many albums, movie and TV work..... They are out there promoting and kicking ass for the Instro Surf genre, and I think they deserve alot of credit for that.

That is all...... Wink

Fin Doctors
Crashmatics

This post has been removed by the author.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009 23:52:31

Thumbs Up to LSJ and all other performers who take the time to 'mingle' with their audience.

www.surfintheeye.com

The Pontiac show was a great event - an all day affair with great music (both outside dj and bands), food and one of the best venues ever!!!!

I also must say that the Meltdowns F'n rocked! What a tremendous band. On behalf of the Crimson Ghosts, we had a great time at that gig and also found all of the bands to be extremely personable, friendly and approachable. We had to take off just before LSJ started as we had another show that night, but fortunately I caught them in Boston the Wed before we left and that was probably one of the best double bills around (SCOTS and LSJ) and worth catching it if you can.

cheers from Livingston, Montana after an 18-hour drive from Minneapolis

tfj

Thanks for the thumbs-up on the Meltdowns, Jim!
That was a fun night and a really cool venue.
I'd been curious to see the Crimson Ghosts since I first heard of the band. I gotta say, you guys delivered on the concept as well as I hoped. Nice job. The crowd really seemed to like it, too. Love the helmets! Good luck with the rest of the tour.
I thought LSJ were better than ever. Eddie seemed in top form and I really like Jason's drumming.
SCOTS were a riot, as usual.
Great to see them both on the same bill.

The Volcanos

Wow I sure wish I could have seen this show. Any photos?

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

I took a bunch of shots from that show, all part of that FLICKR link I posted earlier in another thread

http://tinyurl.com/qyegkn

UNSTEADY FREDDIE

http://www.facebook.com/unsteady.freddie

What a grrrrrreat show! Never seen the Meltdowns before, only saw you guys as the Hellbenders! Excited to see the Volcanos are at Magic Stick next month! LSJ were very fan friendly hanging out w/ ppl after they played. Left late in SCOTS set, didn't get to see them throw KFC Sad

OUTSIDE!

Page 1 of 1