Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink Your First Surf Show

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next

The King, in December 1993, Barrymore Theatre, Madison, WI. Face melted, life changed.

The Spoils - FB - RN
Second Saturday Surf in Austin, TX - FB

Dick Dale in San Jose 1991 or so, perhaps at the Blank Club.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

DannySnyder
Dick Dale in San Jose 1991 or so, perhaps at the Blank Club.

yes Danny we know, 2nd to the last on 1st page.
http://www.surfguitar101.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2937&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I was gonna type mine, but then I looked,
I was the 1st response.
shocking I know.
Shocked Rolling Eyes

Jeff(bigtikidude)

WhorehayRFB
I remember the Raybeats! First cover of "Jack the Ripper" I ever heard.

Same here. I remember being absolutely dumbstruck at what I was hearing. I was delivering pizzas late at night in the winter sometime in 87 or 88, listening to "college radio". This DJ would open his show with their version of Jack The Ripper. Whenever I was working at the pizza joint, I would always try to be in the car whenever his show started. "Almost 10 pm, I'll take this order..."

I think that moment was ultimately what steered me towards my surf addiction today, although it was Man or Astro-Man that ultimately sealed the deal a few years later.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

kenposurf
Some rememberances here....click on the funny looking guy in the middle of the page..

http://www.surfrock.org/index.html

Cool!

Brian

WhorehayRFB
I remember the Raybeats! First cover of "Jack the Ripper" I ever heard.

Same here. I remember being absolutely dumbstruck at what I was hearing. I was delivering pizzas late at night in the winter sometime in 87 or 88, listening to "college radio". This DJ would open his show with their version of Jack The Ripper. Whenever I was working at the pizza joint, I would always try to be in the car whenever his show started. "Almost 10 pm, I'll take this order..."

I think that moment was ultimately what steered me towards my surf addiction today, although it was Man or Astro-Man that ultimately sealed the deal a few years later.

I'm probably hijacking the thread here :hijack:, but it seems to me I have recently come across many covers of that tune...be interesting to start a list, if only to check out all the different versions. Amazingly, I am not sick of that song yet & I like to see what each act brings to it. Anyone?

Radio Free Bakersfield--60 Minutes of TWANG, CRUNCH, OOMPH.
http://radiofreebakersfield.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Radio-Free-Bakersfield/172410279636
http://www.sandiegojoe.com/rfb.htm

hayy 'Skeeter'!
the '82 Ventures gig was indeed at 'Friendship Station'.
One thing I remember about the gig was that the Ventures road manager would come back and check the other band's setlist ,to make sure that the opener would not play any songs that the Ventures were going to play! This was also the case upon opening up for them several times later.
kinda funny, cause the Ventures usedta encore with a medley of their hits that they had just played
minutes before! guess they didn't want the audience to hear one of their songs THREE times!!

(BTW i'm only just recently rejoining this forum, are comments like this too off-topic? plz advise!)

insectsurfer
(BTW i'm only just recently rejoining this forum, are comments like this too off-topic? plz advise!)

I think you are fine. You should see the majority of my posts.

You're fine Dave. We are very glad to have you here. Very Happy

I'm still waiting to see a show I'm not involved in. Surfer Joe Summer Festival 2009 will be the one!

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

Ah, memories.

When I was a grad student at UCLA, I missed my chance to see Dick Dale / Surf Punks / Jon & the Nightriders at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium in 1980. Still kicking myself. Anybody see that one?

So my first live surf show was Bob Berryhill's Surfaris, at the Santa Cruz bandshell on the sand between the water and the boardwalk, summer 1983. The only instrumentals they played were "Scatter Shield" and of course "Wipe Out". The rest were vocals, most Beach Boys covers. So maybe that show doesn't count.

I missed several chances to see the Raybeats when I lived in New York in the early '80s. Still kicking myself.

Fast forward to Athens, Georgia, 1990, when I saw Athens' own surf cover band The New Invicibles, opening for some MTV band called Living Colour. Then Dick Dale came through, pre-Pulp Fiction and pre-Dusty. Finally, beginning 1993, I was treated to a steady diet of live gigs from Man or Astroman?. I never thought I would see 200 teens and twenty-somethings going ape to a live rendition of "Squad Car," but there in the 40 Watt Club they gloriously were. I think it was 1994 when The New Invincibles, Dick Dale (with Dusty) and MoA? played a triple bill in Athens. That was mighty.

Moon_Dawg
Ah, memories.

When I was a grad student at UCLA, I missed my chance to see Dick Dale / Surf Punks / Jon & the Nightriders at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium in 1980. Still kicking myself. Anybody see that one?

I think it was 1994 when The New Invincibles, Dick Dale (with Dusty) and MoA? played a triple bill in Athens. That was mighty.

Wow, that must really suck to have missed that SMCC show.
I feel for m ya man,

and that's way cool that you saw that triple bill show.
that must have been an eardrum crushing night.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Moon_Dawg
Ah, memories.

quote]

I passed on that show at the Santa Monica Civic. I lived two blocks from the Civic at the time. The Surf Punks were the headliners, and I thought they were funny, but not very good. At that stage, I really wasn't aware of the significance of Dick Dale. And Jon & the Nightriders weren't even on my radar. The 7 or 8 dollar cost of a ticket was probably spent on a Tom Petty, a Kinks concert, or maybe Albert King.. Oh man, to have a time machine.... That show would've changed my life!
Duh

Bob

Bob

Meshugga Beach Party at the Utah! it was for their record release, Bezerkers played, Pollo del Mar and the Tomorrowmen i believe. hahadont know if i already posted this

-Zanti

Instagram:

My IG

Combo Tezeta IG

First second wave performance Halibuts at Toes back in 1986

ShowmanKing
First second wave performance Halibuts at Toes back in 1986

is that you Norm?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I am still waiting for my first surf show. Sadly I missed DD here in Omaha a year ago. Would love to swing a trip to the August convention... Someone come play Omaha!!! Razz

ccdsurf
I am still waiting for my first surf show. Sadly I missed DD here in Omaha a year ago. Would love to swing a trip to the August convention... Someone come play Omaha!!! Razz

Is there money in Omaha? Very Happy Seriously though, come to the convention, you'll never forget it!

Rick

My first surf show was back in 2004, I drove from where I was living at the time (Laramie WY) to see Dick Dale perform live in Denver CO at the Bluebird Theatre still to this day the coolest show I have ever seen. since then I have seen (and played) in quite a few shows all fun of course Smile

"If Everyone In America Gave A Homless Guy A Dollar Dbl Cheeseburger, The World Would Be A Better Place."

In the 60s, the VENTURES came to my college (College of San Mateo)...and performed in our vast cafeteria stage area. I was able to meet them backstage before the show and after. I have a photo of me with the band that I treasure and later in a Fresno show had them autograph. (20 years later)...the show was very much the songs of the original live in Japan LP....amazing on every song and they brought down the package room with Caravan with Mel on the bass strings and his great drumming.
...another show soon after that show I met up with my buddy in the Air Force who was stationed at Vandenburg AFB near Lompoc/Santa Maria, and we went out and saw The Sentinels at a pizza joint....good memories.

DUKE OF THE DISCS (I like to use CAPITAL LETTERS--and I am NOT YELLING.
Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next