Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink first video from Sound of the Surf - the Madeira

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

Sound of the Surf documentary is coming along, and Tom Duncan released this promo clip of the Madeira performing our song "Crescent Moon":

www.youtube.com/soundofthesurf

The HQ version should appear in a short while. (Note that the movie itself will be in HD, but space and time constraints forbid the HD version of the above video from being available at this time.)

Expect similiar videos in the next few months from Slacktone, the Surfaris, Laika & the Cosmonauts, Meshugga Beach Party, the Barbwires, the Bitch Boys, the Eliminators and Eddie Bertrand. If you subscribe to the above YouTube channel you will be notified as Tom releases all those clips.

Enjoy!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

oh my God....what a beautiful song, and what an equally beautiful video Cool

this documentary is gonna be amazing, judging from this alone

TOM, hats off to you

Ivan...thx for posting....catch up to U and the lads at SURFER JOE in July

UNSTEADY F.

http://www.facebook.com/unsteady.freddie

That sounds/looks absolutely fantastic Ivan. It also bring backs some great memories of being there that day at the shooting. Its great to see it on film. That is going to be one hell of a film when it comes out.

Ivan, any thought on putting out an all The Madeira DVD at some point? Simply the footage from your session in Orange County that day would make an incredible collection. I'm sure there are 50 things that would make that difficult/impossible to do. The performances that day were out of this world!

Congrats!

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Nice!!
Can't wait for this film!!

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

Very, very cool! I was there at that taping too! Smile What a fantastic experience that was.

EDIT: Nevermind, I am an idiot. Here is the video page:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiNjzIBLwSE

So now you can favorite it and get it added to Facebook, etc.

I can't wait to see more videos. The Madeira really ripped it up that day, I'm surprised Tom posted a mellow song like this one. Smile

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Worship

that's some really good advertisement for the film!!!!!!

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

Always amazed how The Madeira manages to be original and contemporary while staying true to the spirit of surf music. Quite an achievement. That is a beautiful piece. I would also love to see the band burn on something like The Saracen in this setting!

The production and sound are really good--I'm looking forward to this.

On a big screen... with a good sound system... killer!

Twisted Evil > Angel

cooool vid Ivan! can't wait to see the whole thing!

-Zanti

Instagram:

My IG

Combo Tezeta IG

Wow, that is beautiful!

Thanks to everyone for the very nice comments! I'm amazed by the job that Tom & Co. did. The setting, the lighting, the shots, the editing, the sound, it's all really impressive. We're extremely happy - in fact, it's hard to believe that's actually us! I think it really speaks to Tom's dedication to quality with this film. It's safe to say that we can all expect something very, very special. I personally can't wait!!! It's so exciting to know that a documentary like this is in production - and even more to think that we're part of it. Wow.

Ruhar
That sounds/looks absolutely fantastic Ivan. It also bring backs some great memories of being there that day at the shooting. Its great to see it on film. That is going to be one hell of a film when it comes out.

Agreed!! I'm really happy that you and Brian (along with Tim, John, Eddie, etc.) were able to be there and share this experience with us. Thanks for that!

Ivan, any thought on putting out an all The Madeira DVD at some point? Simply the footage from your session in Orange County that day would make an incredible collection. I'm sure there are 50 things that would make that difficult/impossible to do. The performances that day were out of this world!

As always, you're too kind, Ryan. It's possible that the footage that we shot that day that does not find its way into the film itself will end up as bonus content on the DVD, as would the performances by the other bands. That would be pretty amazing. But we'll have to wait and see.

websurfer
Always amazed how The Madeira manages to be original and contemporary while staying true to the spirit of surf music. Quite an achievement. That is a beautiful piece.

thank you very much, websurfer, that's an extremely nice thing to say! That's what we strive for, so it's nice to see that others perceive our music in that way.

I would also love to see the band burn on something like The Saracen in this setting!

All I can say is that I suspect you'll be pleased when the actual documentary comes out.... Very Happy

And, yes, Freddie, see you in Italy!!
Thanks again everybody. I personally can't wait to see the videos of the other bands!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Have you guys given up the belts/scarves? I really liked that. No other band's visual "gimmick" is as eloquent and understated. Really evokes that part of the world.

Ivan,

The video looks and sounds just superb! Congrats. Very Happy

A great effort by the band and film crew that day. If I remember correctly, that was easily a 14 hour day by the crew. Everyone worked really hard including the bands, Madeira and Surfaris. The crew was pretty gassed at the end but no one complained. I think the music was responsible to a large extent. I recall Patrick playing so hard one of his hands was bleeding. No complaints. He just taped up and played on. What a trooper.

Very Nice,
congrats to the Madeira and to Tom and the Crew of the movie.
I can't wait to see this.

by the way Ivan, this is one of my Favorite songs by you guys.
I was listening to Sandstorm today, and played this track a few times.

I know its a Bizarre question, and prob. not a reality.
but have you thought of doing a cd of just mellow songs.

as much as I love your ripping, blazing fast songs.
your slow melodic ones are to me always the most memorable and enjoyable. I think thats where your love of the Shadows really comes thru the most.

again, Kudos on the cool addition to the Movie.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Spectacular! Phenominal! Extraordinary!
Worship Rock Thumbs Up
Somehow these words don't adequately describe the awesomeness
of this incredible video. The production is as good as it gets, and the
song and the performance are even better than that! I can't wait to
see this film when it is completed. Congratulations to everybody
involved. This is very VERY special!

Bob

Bob

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009 15:56:57

Real nice song. Considering how often I hear surf music on commercials, I can't understand why there isn't more mainstream play. This song could be on the radio anywhere if programmers minds were more open.

wow everyone, thank you so much all for all the positive comments. They are very encouraging and go a long way towards helping make the film happen. The Madeira are simply the greatest folks to work with and I owe them my deepest gratitude for making this so easy. As representatives and ambassadors for Surf Music they make us look good.

Brian, I picked 'Crescent Moon' because it will not appear in the film. We are using one of the faster tunes. Believe it or not, this is from 'the cutting room floor' as they say, the best is yet to come.

Thanks to John Blair for providing the amps, Tim Ferrill for his assistance, and Dusty Watson for providing drums on this shoot. The Madeira flew in, played something like 4 gigs that weekend then had to do multiple takes for the cameras. Took a lickin' and kept on tickin' wouldn't you say?

Sound of the Surf, the movie
Facebook SOTS

tdsurf
I picked 'Crescent Moon' because it will not appear in the film. We are using one of the faster tunes. Believe it or not, this is from 'the cutting room floor' as they say, the best is yet to come.

If the best is yet to come... WOW. This clip was awesome. Can't wait to see & hear the best picks!

CUTBACK

tdsurf
Brian, I picked 'Crescent Moon' because it will not appear in the film. We are using one of the faster tunes. Believe it or not, this is from 'the cutting room floor' as they say, the best is yet to come.

I know it's too early, but please keep the scraps on the cutting room floor around. I'm sure they could make some really cool "bonus features" on a DVD release. But I'm sure you guys thought of that.

Again, I'm really excited about this project and can't wait to see it!

Here are some photos from that day:
http://picasaweb.google.com/bgneal/SoundOfTheSurf#

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next