Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink Hotel Utah Slacktone, Pollo Del Mar, Pyronauts Show (2/15/09

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

The show at the Hotel Utah this evening was great. The bands were terrific, the place was packed, and it was all thoroughly entertaining. It was good seeing Jeff and the other people from this site (sorry but I can’t remember any names at the moment, which is probably due to the limited ability of my cranial synapses to absorb so much music and still expect to retain other pertinent data.

I’ve seen both Slacktone and Pollo Del Mar a few times, but this was my first time seeing the Pyronauts. They were perfect; getting everything going with well played songs, abundant energy, great humor, and exquisite taste in clothes. I took a picture of Dusty and their drummer (wearing a “Dusty is my Master” T-shirt) but it unfortunately didn’t come out.

Pollo Del Mar and Slacktone were as good as they always are, which is pretty gosh darn good. Dusty is the best drummer on the planet but that doesn’t mean he has it easy. He is now driving up to Chico to play another gig tonight. Most people putting out the amount of energy he puts out would be catatonic right about now.

Thanks to Ference’s wife and the people she was sitting with (sorry I can’t remember your names) for selling CD’s for me. They were able to get sell four, which still leaves my garage a tad crowded, but every bit helps. I picked up a few discs there myself: The Surf Coasters and Frankie & The Pool Boys, and from a different Pool Boy (Jeff) I got Pounding Surf and traded him a swivalin’ Wahine for a Bambi Molesters disc.

It was well worth the drive through the rain. Thanks all.

Great show Very Happy and fun day despite our needed rains! The Slacktone-tributing Pyronauts just in from their lifeguard duty (shorts, no shirts). Dusty "dropping in" on Pollo was cool as well as Jeremy "dropping in" on Slacktone. The Mike Palm arrival was an added treat and Mr Moto with Slacktone was great, an Agent Orange delectible a la Paul Johnson. Lotsa "regs" but plenty of people who hadn't yet seen some of these bands. Whew!

Sad i missed this ! stupid work had me by the balls till 6 today!

-Zanti

Instagram:

My IG

Combo Tezeta IG

Mr_Reverb63
Sad i missed this ! stupid work had me by the balls till 6 today!

Don't be too hard on yourself Zanti, at least you still have a job. I'm sure you'll have plenty of opportunities to see them again.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

It sure was good to get a Slacktone fix yesterday! They really get me pumped up you know. Now the only problem is I need more like a junky needs more drugs!

Pollo's new song was groovy! What was it called, something about a yoga pose? Concress of the cow or something like that (or is that the kama sutra?)?

I've never seen the Utah that packed, it was awesome! Dusty was on FIRE, Sam was thumpin', and that guy with the blue guitar was pretty good too!

Yep - twas a great show. Big thanks to the Pyronauts and Slacktone for traveling all the way to provide some much needed sunshine on a grey weary week. I loved the big hairy beautiful sloppiness of it all - surf music in our scene is a living breathing entity. What a great scene it is, the Utah was packed, with each successive show there everyone becomes a little more familiar. We're all there not just in body but in spirit. Hearing Dave's remarks is proof that the bands on stage feel it too. I for one hope Ferenc continues to put these shows together. I'd love for the surf music community to keep growing but having a Hotel Utah full of true believers is in and of itself a wonderful thing.

Thanks Ferenc (and all the bands and supporters).

Danny Snyder

_

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009 16:12:50

Did anyone capture images of the festivities in a medium suitable for viewing?

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brian
Did anyone capture images of the festivities in a medium suitable for viewing?

You might not want to see them...

DannySnyder
We're all there not just in body but in spirit. Hearing Dave's remarks is proof that the bands on stage feel it too. I for one hope Ferenc continues to put these shows together. I'd love for the surf music community to keep growing but having a Hotel Utah full of true believers is in and of itself a wonderful thing.

Thanks Ferenc (and all the bands and supporters).

Here here! I've only played there once before, but I can tell you that the crowd and bands there were so incredibly welcoming and appreciative. I had not experienced that down here in San Diego at that level ever. I can't wait to make my way back there.

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

DannySnyder
I for one hope Ferenc continues to put these shows together. I'd love for the surf music community to keep growing but having a Hotel Utah full of true believers is in and of itself a wonderful thing.

Yesterday was a great day! The Hotel Utah is an imperfect place, especially when it is as packed as it was yeserday (about 170 people!), but for most shows it's fine. Thanks to everybody who came. Lots of teenagers yesterday, that's a good sign, for the future of our music. That was the 33rd Surf Sunday, hopefully many more to come.

Next up, The Fourth KFJC Battle of the Bands on May 17! Details to come.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Sounds like it was a fantastic show..congrats guys!

www.myspace.com/northofmalibu

www.northofmalibu.com

Updated Jan 3, 2011

Just for fun on a slow day, some Hotel Utah <b>Sunday Surf Party</b> facts:
The first official Sunday matinee, on 10/6/2002 was put together so The Nebulas could play one last show before they flew back to the East Coast. The Sunday afternoon time slot worked out great, as bands could hit the road early to get back to wherever they were going early, and kids could come to the show. Also, parking is a lot easier at that time of day. So far, 66 surf bands have played at the Utah, from all across the USA and Netherlands, Japan, Germany, Italy, Antigua.
Here's a list of the bands:
3 Balls of Fire
Danny Amis (guest)
The Ancondas
The Aquamarines
The Aquamen
The Aqua Velvets
The Atomic Mosquitos
The Berzerkers
The Blue Moodys
CHUM
The Concaves
The Coppertones
Thee Corsairs
Cuatro Caminos
Daikaiju
The Dead Beats
The Del Mars
The Detonators
Drifting Sand
The Diminished Men
The Eldorados
George Tomsco of the Fireballs
Frankie & The Pool Boys
Hypnotic IV
The Insect Surfers
The Infrareds
King of Hawaii
The Lava Rats
Meshugga Beach Party
The Lava Rats
The Kilaueas
The Mach IV
The Madeira
The Migs
The Mermen
The Nebulas
The Neighbors
The Neptunes
The Neptunas
The Outer Edge
Mike Palm (guest)
Phantom Jets
Pollo del Mar
The Pyronauts
Reducing Agents
The Reef Riders
Secret Samurai
The Skegs
Slacktone
The Space Cossacks
Splashback
The Sub-Mersians
Surf Cinema
Surf Liners
Surf Report
Susan and The Surftones
Thee Swank Bastards
The Tomorrowmen
The Torpedoes
Trivalve
The Twang Tens
The 'Verb
Wadadli Riders
The Wander Ins
The WHYS
The Woodies

My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Pollo Del Mar on FB

Last edited: Jan 03, 2011 13:41:26

Can you pick one best show Ferenc? Or most memorable, favorite....etc

Danny Snyder

_

DannySnyder

The last time Daikaiju played was pure magic, they completely transformed the room. Anytime Slacktone plays... but there was one show where they played for almost 2 hours and just napalmed the house. The KFJC Surf Battles are insanity. Watching the Pyronauts grow (musically) over the years has been very special. Also, I know that quite a few bands have formed after the members have met at Utah shows, I feel great about that. And, I have met so many cool people... when the Anacondas came, they were they greatest guys, and said, "If your ever in Amsterdam..." sure enough a year later we gave them a call and they set us up in their hometown.

Anybody else?

My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Pollo Del Mar on FB

We did a show with The Nebulas at the Hotel UTah was that the first show you mentioned?

THe NEpTuNeS

PolloGuitar
Just for fun on a slow day, some Hotel Utah <b>Sunday Surf Party</b> facts:
The first official Sunday matinee, on 10/6/2002 was put together so The Nebulas could play one last show before they flew back to the East Coast. The Sunday afternoon time slot worked out great, as bands could hit the road early to get back to wherever they were going early, and kids could come to the show. Also, parking is a lot easier at that time of day. So far, 50 surf bands have played at the Utah, from all across the USA and Netherlands, Japan, Germany, Italy.
Here's a list of the bands:
3 Balls of Fire
Ancondas
The Aquamarines
The Aquamen
The Aqua Velvets
The Berzerkers
CHUM
The Concaves
The Coppertones
Thee Corsairs
Cuatro Caminos
Daikaiju
The Del Mars
Drifting Sand
The Diminished Men
The Eldorados
George Tomsco of the Fireballs
Hypnotic IV
The Insect Surfers
King of Hawaii
The Lava Rats
Meshugga Beach Party
The Lava Rats
The Kilaueas
The Mach IV
The Madeira
The Migs
the Mermen
The Nebulas
The Neighbors
The Neptunes
The Neptunas
Phantom Jets
Pollo del Mar
The Pyronauts
Reducing Agents
The Skegs,
Slacktone
Splashback
The Sub-Mersians
Surf Cinema
Surf Liners
Surf Report
Susan and The Surftones
The Tomorrowmen
The Torpedoes
The 'Verb
Wadadli Riders
The WHYS
The Woodies

You missed one Ferenc!
The Detonators played there with Chum the day after we played on Phil's show! Cool
Billy

Be careful following the masses. Sometimes the "M" is silent...........................

BillyBlastOff
The Detonators played there

How could I forget? -- I won a T-Shirt in the trivia contest!

surfneptune
We did a show with The Nebulas at the Hotel UTah was that the first show you mentioned?

The Nebulas only played there once, with Slacktone. You guys played with The Infrareds (another band I left of my list) and The Pyronauts.

My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Pollo Del Mar on FB

PolloGuitar

DannySnyder

The last time Daikaiju played was pure magic, they completely transformed the room.

Anybody else?

Daikaiju was probably my number two Utah show. They were insane good. Jaw-dropping show.
But... nothing will ever topple my first time at the Utah--my first show I ever went to, with the Madeira, Pollo Del Mar, and Slacktone. Shocked Ferenc got me in at the door right as the Madeira were opening with "Sun and Sand" and I was distractedly drooling over those tones while dealing with the door man. Then I went in while "Sandstorm" raged and I became a man. Laughing

Sunday's show was another winner. The Pyronauts were hilarious in Slacktone-worship mode. Their set was pretty cover-heavy this time, but really I think they play covers while maintaining their own personal sound probably better than any other band I've heard live. "Sifaka" is always such a great song, and "Sprinkler of Doom" is an awesome new one. Cool chords and dance moves. Laughing

I only saw about half (maybe 2/3) of Pollo's set because I spent the whole first part arguing with the door guy to get the rest of the Deadbeats in. What I heard was good, especially the really cool new song they played (I missed the name of it though), but I admit I was kinda cranky for the first good handful of songs from dealing with that one guy. Really, he was such a prick--categorically refused to let us inside in spite of every rational argument I tried to offer him, not that he would let me finish a sentence without getting huffy and cutting me off. I kept asking him if there was any kind of compromise we could make, and he would just get angry and looked like he was ready to fight me even. We eventually gave up on the guy and vented on the sidewalk in the rain for maybe fifteen minutes before the guys turned to leave without seeing the show, but right then the guy finally changed his mind so I chased the guys down the block to finally let them in. We were all glad and grateful the door guy had a change of heart, but still pretty irked that he treated all of us like such a douchebag.
Anyways, the moral of the story is that Pollo's set was good enough to eventually cheer me back up, especially that one new song. Thumbs Up

And no surprise Slacktone was totally amazing. There's really something otherworldly about Dave's tone, especially standing right in front of his amp. The sound is huge. "Coffin Closer" was probably my favorite, and "Blast Bolero" was gloriously heavy. Hell yes. Rock

Thanks to Ferenc for setting it all up! Yay for Surfin' Sundays!

Cool Yeah the show was great. Unfortunately we missed the Pyronauts set(sorry about that guys). We left the house a little late. And we accidentally took the wrong exit off the Bridge. Its too bad the guy at the door was such a first class Jackass though. He had no reason to overreact about us getting in.
But at least we still got to see PDM. We got in right when they where playing "Peaches en Regalia" I love it when they play that tune. What's the name of the song that they played after that? It was pretty good.
Also I really enjoyed Slacktone they where really great. All 3 of the guys are great Musicians and they where tighter than OJs glove that night. It was a good show.
This place was packed, I've only been ther once before but I was surprised to see this many people at the Hotel Utah. I also got to talk to Don(JetBlue) and Jeff(BTD) for a little bit, nice to meet you guys BTW. I also hope that Ferenc keeps putting on shows like this. Your doing a great job of providing us Bay Area folks some great live music.

The Deadbeats

wooza
But... nothing will ever topple my first time at the Utah--my first show I ever went to, with the Madeira, Pollo Del Mar, and Slacktone. Shocked Ferenc got me in at the door right as the Madeira were opening with "Sun and Sand" and I was distractedly drooling over those tones while dealing with the door man. Then I went in while "Sandstorm" raged and I became a man. Laughing

Very Happy So, we were kinda like your Bar Mitzvah? You poor thing! I don't think at other bar mitzvahs you suffer hearing loss afterwards!

Seriously, what Ryan said above. That was probably the best crowd we ever played to. It was such a great vibe for the entire show. I think the day we played Hotel Utah was one of the best days of my life, and the people there welcomed us with astonishing enthusiasm and warmth. Thank you, Ferenc, for starting that whole gig and turning it into a real institution by now. And thanks to all the rest of you that attend and support all the many bands that have gone through there.

(And thanks, Ben, that was really nice of you to say.)

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Goto Page: 1 2 Next