Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » SG101 Podcast »

Permalink Episode #6 is here!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

http://surfguitar101.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=62301&highlight=indorock#62301

sorry I missed this Embarassed

there's a bit of history info in the thread above. 'Belgium Indorock' would sound very weird to us since it's not simply indonesians living in the Netherlands: The whole thing is strongly connected to the historic context of why the many indonesians came to the netherlands in the decade or two after WWII, and their social status and, for many, traumatized personal history. Indonesia is a former colony of the netherlands, not of Belgium. It's very netherlands related, and more specifically The Hague related.

that said, the Jokers are always quoted to be strongly influenced by indorock, so the sound is there. ( I suspect the dutch indos at the time used to say 'belgians cant play the indorock' in the same tone of voice as 'white man cant play the blues' though :D)

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

Quicktime, iTunes, iPod, nanoo-nanoo...

What happened to the mp3 format the first four podcasts were in? It was simple to download, simple to play on Windows Media Player, simple to convert to any format or upload to any player I wanted.

Now, SG101 is using m4a. It downloads okay, but then...nothing. Won't play on Windows Media Player, can't convert it to any other format, can't upload it anywhere. It will play on RealPlayer, but that sick puppy has a bad habit of skipping like old vinyl.

Any chance of going back to mp3?

O-B-Dan

What happened to the mp3 format the first four podcasts were in? It was simple to download, simple to play on Windows Media Player, simple to convert to any format or upload to any player I wanted.

Now, SG101 is using m4a. It downloads okay, but then...nothing. Won't play on Windows Media Player, can't convert it to any other format, can't upload it anywhere. It will play on RealPlayer, but that sick puppy has a bad habit of skipping like old vinyl.

Sorry O-B-Dan most people prefer the new format. I'll send you an mp3 version via email, look for it soon.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

You can play .m4a's in quicktime on Windows. You can also convert them yourself to mp3 with a variety of converter programs. Just google AAC to MP3.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

O-B-Dan

At the risk of sounding like I'm complaining, I have to side with O-B-Dan on this one. For the last podcast, I was able to figure out how to download the file as an m4a and then convert it to mp3, but the conversion takes a long time and is a bit of a pain.

I guess I'm going to have to do the same thing for # 6. It's nice to hear that I'm not the only one who preferred the mp3 format.

As a testament to how much I enjoy these podcasts, I go through the lengthy conversion process because the end result is worth it. I have to admit, though, the first couple of podcasts that were already in mp3 format were much more user friendly – at least as far as I'm concerned.

Whatever it takes to get these files in "listen-able" format, they are well worth the effort.

No worries, I'll start uploading the podcasts to Archive.org in the mp3 format to accomodate all of you who prefer that format. Give me a couple days though.

And thanks for the kind words.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Thanks so much, Danny. I too have missed being able to listen to them due to the format change. Guess I wasn't savvy enough to figure out a workaround. I just thought something was wrong on my end, since I could listen to the first episodes just fine.

As was pointed out earlier by LHR, you can also listen to .m4a's with the VLC media player (and it's 1000x better than Quicktime).

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

You can also listen to .m4a's with iTunes on the PC.

Ah, there we go . . . mucho appreciated, Brian. I just download the player from your link and all is right with the world again. Smile

Enjoying the great new podcast!

Cool, we will continue to look into the format issue. As previously stated, the big win for AAC is being able to mark songs in the podcast so you can instantly skip to them (although this is partially broken in #6).

Goto Page: Previous 1 2