Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » SG101 Podcast »

Permalink Episode #6 is here!

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

John Blairs' Rocking Classical New Years Eve Extravaganza

In this podcast, Lady Reverb digs deep to uncover the rich vein of classical melodies played in the surf and euro-instro style. Our own CaptainSpringfield (AKA Warren Binder) takes the mic to surf maven John Blair for an in-depth interview. We also present brand new music from The Barbwires and Los Twang Marvels.

Track listing:

Fur Elise- Galaxy Trio
Sabre Dance- The Jokers
March of the Eagles- The Eagles
Return of the Griegster- The Beat Tornados
Nut Rocker- B. Bumble and the Stingers
Dance Of The Sugar Plum Fairy- The Lunatics
Serenade No. 13- The Baronics
Rondo A La Turk- The Atlantics
Hungarian Dance No. 5- Teruchi Takeshi and The Bunnys
Continental Missile- The Chantays
Swan Lake- The Nebulas
Saturday night at the Duck Pond - The Cougars
Satan's Holiday- The Lancasters
Pumpin' Surfing Stance- Frankie And The Pool Boys
Claire De Lune- The TomorrowMen
The Bumble Beat- Charles Blackwell Orchestra
Charge of the Nightriders- Jon and the Nightriders
John Blair Interview Part 1
Rumble at Waikiki- Jon and the Nightriders
Storm Dancer- Jon and the Nightriders
Clink Clink Classic- Blair and Tippens
Devil Surf- The Cresents
Time Bomb- The Avengers VI
Latin Soul- The Sentinels
Baha-Ree-Ba!- The Trademarks
Return of the Space Cossack-Los Twang Marvels
Sea of Glory- Los Twang Marvels
La Caja Del Muerto- The Barbwires
Auld Lang Syne- The Smithereens

You can get it on our podcast page or it should be available in iTunes shortly.

Thanks Lady Reverb, Danny, Warren, and John Blair!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Thanks Brian. Lady Reverb and I would also like to thank Ryan (Ruhar), Warren (CaptainSpringfield), John Blair and Ivan for their help putting this one together.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Wow! These things are getting cranked out in no time at all! I can't wait to listen to this one in particular.

Groovy Monkey Cheers Worship Rock

YAY!!!!! I'm not sick of Episode 5 yet, and now #6 is here!!!!!!
LMAO ROTFL

Will

"You're done, once you're a surfer you're done. You're in. It's like the mob or something. You're not getting out." - Kelly Slater

The Luau Cinders

Happiest Musical Moment - when the boogie woogie piano kicks in to The Nut Rocker. Groovy Groovy Groovy Groovy

Danny Snyder

_

DannySnyder
Thanks Brian. Lady Reverb and I would also like to thank Ryan (Ruhar), Warren (CaptainSpringfield), John Blair and Ivan for their help putting this one together.

You and Lady Reverb are welcome Danny. I'm really looking forward to hearing the Warren/John Blair interview!!

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Woo-hoo!
I just discovered the new episode while at work. Fortunately, it's on a weekend shift (I'm all by myself) so I can listen to it on one of the PCs and don't have to wait until I get home to put it on my iPod.

The funny thing is, I just finished listening to a version of that famous bit from Swan Lake by Takeshi Terauchi and the Bunnys on youtube about five minutes before.

I'm not a complete idiot. Some parts are missing.

Love it, love it, love it. And so does my wife. I made an audio CD of it and she keeps listening to it in the car. Great job guys... and gal!

CUTBACK

Yeah, great episode! I think Lady Reverb has hit her stride. Great selection. Also kudos to Warren's interview w/ John Blair. Great job! I could listen to that conversation for hours...

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Thanks, Ryan! Part 2 will be in the next podcast.

-Warren

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

Kudos to all involved! A fine podcast, indeed - well done!

Thanks!

-Dick

Fender Reissue Cap Mod Site
http://home.comcast.net/~rmessick2/

Just noticed - this is not an "enhanced" podcast? I don't see the track listing in the iPod display as it progresses, unless you middle-click to the list in the description text.
Quel dommage. Sad

Brian
Swan Lake- The Nebulas
Satan's Holiday- The Lancasters

Uh-oh. Missing reference to "Saturday Night at the Duck Pond - The Cougars"?

This was what I was trying to figure out. My iPod is busted so I couldn't tell if it worked or not. The markers are all in there, when you play the song on iTunes it shows the name of the song as it plays. I can't figure out why there's no markers, as far as I know I did everything the same as last time. Any experts out there?

Danny Snyder

_

I haven't played it in my iPod yet, but the track markers all show up fine in the crappy Quicktime player for windows.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brian, my quicktime shows the names of the songs too. But does yours allow you to jump to the next song and throughout?

Danny Snyder

_

Great show,
man it was long,
but thats a good thing.
but I was thinking, hmmm seems like its been over a hour,
and I looked at the player.
wow!!
thanks for all the hard work everybody.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I see song titles (for episode 6) in iTunes and in Quicktime Player, but not on the iPod Nano (2nd Gen). I can get QT Player show me a drop-down menu of the song titles and jump to any one of them. I did not realize it could do that before.

This is with MacOS X 10.5.6 "Leopard", QuickTime Player 7.5.5, and iTunes 8.0.2.

Wow, another home run by Lady Reverb and Danny (+ Warren this time around)!!! You guys are just getting too good, too consistent - everybody is starting to expect a fantastic podcast! And you certainly didn't disappoint yet again! Lady Reverb is sooo good, both with her dj-ing and her selection of songs, it's remarkable - she's WAY too cool for all of us surf music nerds. We're not worthy! Very Happy

I really loved the classical music theme of the podcast, too, such great songs. And big kudos for including so many tracks by sixties' Euro-instro bands, like the Jokers, the Eagles, the Cougars, the Lancasters (yes!! Ritchie!!!!!), The Charles Blackwell Orchestra and the Aussies Atlantics. People really need to know about all the great music made within this genre around the world back then. (I LOVE the international selection of songs, too, so many countries represented in this podcast: USA, UK, Canada, Japan, Australia, Belgium, Norway, Finland, Sweden, Germany - how freakin' cool is that???)

The interview with John Blair was excellent, too, I learned a lot I didn't know before - I think that may have been Warren's first time interviewing anybody, right, Warren? Well, you did a great job, my friend. (I'd suggest going for a bit of a better sound quality the next time around, though, but that's a minor gripe. I loved hearing J&TN songs quietly under the interview, too, that was very cool.) John sent me an advance copy of the Blair & Tippens acoustic surf CD some time ago, and it's simply beautiful - it's good to hear one track from it here. Finally, what an end run of songs - Time Bomb, Latin Surf, Baha-Ree-Bah, Los Twang! Marvels and the Barbwires! Whew! I don't know who could listen to this podcast and not fall in love with surf music - either for the first time or all over again!

When I first started getting seriously into surf music, around '94 or so, Larry "Moon Dawg" White was doing a Tape of the Month for some people, where each month he would pick a theme and come up with a full tape's worth of surf/instro songs. Listening to those tapes each month did wonders in broadening my understanding of this genre and making me appreciate its diversity and the remarkable amount of talent engaged in producing this music. It probably had a LOT to do with the Space Cossacks working so hard to be as good as we possibly could be. Well, I think these podcasts are doing exactly that for a whole new generation of listeners and players. How incredibly cool is it to be able to get all these songs for free on an almost monthly basis? There are lunatics like me that buy almost everything that's released in this genre, but if you can't keep up with it all or have better uses for your funds, well, here's how you can stay plugged in and learn a lot more about surf music. For this we owe a BIG debt of gratitude to Adrienne, Danny, Brian, Warren and everybody else that's been working on this awesome project. Long live SG101 podcasts!!!

(Sorry about all the gushing, but I really meant it!)

PS OK, two tiny criticisms: the Jokers were not an indo-rock band - indo-rock was played by Indonesians in Holland, while the Jokers were all-Belgian. Also, the song tags did not show up on my iTunes or iPod, which is too bad - that's a great feature and I really appreciated it on the previous podcast. I know Danny tried to do it, but something went awry. I definitely recommend trying to fix it if at all possible, and certainly including it in the future.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I really appreciate it.
Especially Ivan's comment! Wow, that made me feel great.

Lady Reverb is sooo good, both with her dj-ing and her selection of songs, it's remarkable - she's WAY too cool for all of us surf music nerds. We're not worthy!

Nah, and you are all totally worthy. Besides, I'm a surf music nerd myself!

PS OK, two tiny criticisms: the Jokers were not an indo-rock band - indo-rock was played by Indonesians in Holland, while the Jokers were all-Belgian.

That's interesting -- I figured since The Jokers were Indonesian and lived in Belgium that would qualify them for indo-rock status. So, is it really only Indonesian surf musicians who played in Holland who qualify for that particular term?

Just went and looked up The Jokers on Youtube and saw they weren't Indonesians living in Belgium. They were in fact, simply Belgian! I don't even know where I got the idea they were Indonesian. Maybe I listened to one their songs and it reminded me of indo-rock...?

Goto Page: 1 2 Next