Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink Info for 2nd annual SG101 convention, 1st weekend, Aug 2009

LockNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 517 18 Next

What do you guys think about all SurfGuitar101 paddle out prior to the Saturday or Sunday gigs?

Go to San Onofre during the week if you can. The waves there won't mangle you like HB can ...sometimes.

I used to surf the pier years ago and nearly got into a fight with a guy there (20's something). He said I almost hit him with my board. I was not even that close. Yeah, too aggro there. Very territorial. Lotsa gremmies.

Goldenwest up the street is great though. That is a great spot to go.

If you get a chance go down to Thalia Street in Laguna. It was one of my favorite morning haunts. I used to dive not far from there. It is sheer beauty in the summer when the sun comes up behind you and shines it's sparkle over the clear, beautiful aqua-green. You can actually see the coral.

Seals and dolphins on a regular basis.

Make sure you're there at high tide though. Otherwise it can be kinda ouchy! Same goes for San Onofre.

Gluck....dario

Staredge
What's the surf like? I'm going to try learning to surf next month while I'm in Florida. Won't be worth a damn, but I might try it out there if the water isn't too big.

you can stay on the inside (and down from the pier) and ride the white water if you are a beginner.

www.surfintheeye.com

perhaps some of the traveling artists could even squeeze in a show somewhere, with local talent as support, on Thursday July 30th as well?

just a thought.....

UNSTEADY FREDDIE

http://www.facebook.com/unsteady.freddie

Thalia Street, Laguna Beach

San Onofre

I'll have a 3 hour lesson from Ron jon in Cocoa Beach under my belt. Shocked

(I'm less than optimistic, but anything worth doing is worth doing badly)

Ted, if I make it out there I'll take you up on that. Beer & fish tacos are on me afterwards.

Will

"You're done, once you're a surfer you're done. You're in. It's like the mob or something. You're not getting out." - Kelly Slater

The Luau Cinders

Trestles, huh Dario?

If I do attend, I'll be in the SD North County (Carlsbad) area, as my daughter lives there. Reasonably close drive to The Starting Gate & HB.

Count me in on a surf session on Saturday or Sunday.

I can bring a couple extra Bic "beginner" 10 foot boards and one or two ocean kayaks for any fanny surfers. Will trade surf lesson for guitar lesson.

Goober

Just remember all you morning surfers,
the Sat and Sun shows will start at 11 am.
and we know that last year alot of people got to the shows late because of
getting caught in traffic.
I'm not saying don't go surfing.
just do it really early and give yer self plenty of drive time.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Thanks Goob,

I better brush up on my "bomb-proof" combat roll. Thanks for the Kayak offer. Know anyone out that way with a creek boat?

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

bigtikidude

dawn patrol! dawn patrol!

www.surfintheeye.com

mom_surfing

My thoughts exactly.

Will

"You're done, once you're a surfer you're done. You're in. It's like the mob or something. You're not getting out." - Kelly Slater

The Luau Cinders

eddiekatcher
Thanks Goob,

I better brush up on my "bomb-proof" combat roll. Thanks for the Kayak offer. Know anyone out that way with a creek boat?

ed

I would discourage "combat-rolls" while kayak surfing--when you flip , you want to be as far away from that 40 lb kayak as you can get. These are "sit-on-top" single or double ocean kayaks and a real hoot to surf--but the surfers will throw rocks at you.

I am all for "dawn patrol"--in at first light and out of the water by 8:30/9 a.m and before the amped-out testosterone crews show up.

goober

mom_surfing

bigtikidude

I'm in for dawn patrol as well! and post surf session tacos!

HBkahuna
The above locations are about 20 minutes from Long Beach & Orange County Airports. About 45 minutes from LAX depending on the traffic. Long Beach (LGB)& OC (SNA) are very easy to fly in & out of. LAX is your typical large airport.

Those coming for the Friday show in San Diego will of course want to fly into San Diego or possibly OC. San Diego is about a 90 minute drive from OC Airport.

If you're choosing between LAX and SNA, in October I found that LAX was about $100 cheaper to fly into. (Maybe the thrill of the diving approach when landing costs extra!) Very Happy

And bring one of those in-car satellite navigation devices for the rental car... they're great!

Steve
The Apollo Four 2012-present
https://www.facebook.com/ApolloFour/
The Verbtones 2002-2012

As long as we don't have to rent boards from Jack's (which doesn't open 'till 10:00), we should be able to hit the Dawn Patrol and make the concert on time. After all we wouldn't have to walk very far..................

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

eddiekatcher
As long as we don't have to rent boards from Jack's (which doesn't open 'till 10:00), we should be able to hit the Dawn Patrol and make the concert on time. After all we wouldn't have to walk very far..................

ed

Ed,
I have a bunch of boards. You are more than welcome to borrow one for the dawn patrol.
Time to paddle out!
Ted

This is great news. Thanks Jeff for putting it all together - you 'da man.

I'll put my vote in for a concurrent Friday night show at the Purple Orchid. For those of us driving down to SoCal from the Bay Area, a Friday night show north of OC works out very well.

Last year, I drove down from the Bay Area and stayed in Ventura on Friday night to catch The Eliminators at the county fair. It was a perfect start to a heavenly weekend.

Has a decision been made about Friday July 31st yet?

Meaning, whether the music will take place in San Diego or at The Purple Orchid?

thanks

UNF

http://www.facebook.com/unsteady.freddie

So........Jeff.........how's it going?? Care to let slip some details?? Quash those vicious rumours I'm about to start about the show???

(pssst......Slacktone's gonna unveil BC Rich sig editions)

(psst psssst.......Los Straitjackets are gonna unmask a la Kiss)

(pssst..pssst...pssst.......MBP are gonna eat bacon on stage)

Things are looking pretty good for my attending Cheers Talked to the wife & got my surprise 40th birthday party cancelled. (makes this a win even if I DON"T get to come)

THROW US A BONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will

The Luau Cinders

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 517 18 Next