Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink Info for 2nd annual SG101 convention, 1st weekend, Aug 2009

LockNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 517 18 Next

Staredge

HBkahuna
This is the absolute cheapest place in Downtown HB. Across the street from the beach, 7 minute walk to pier at $63 a night, its a dump but cheap. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32513-d77289-Reviews-Beach_Inn_Motel-Huntington_Beach_California.html

Walking neighborhood?????

The motel it self is not exactly 5 star. The neighborhood is fine and safe to walk 24 hours a day. The same street the motel is on is lined with 2 to 3 million dollar homes. In the next few years I think this motel will be torn down & a 3 million dollar home will be built on the lot.

across the street from the starting gate is a Marriot hotel I think, and down the street a little bit is a little place called the "Turf Motel"
as opposed to the Surf Motels at the beach.
Shocked Wink

I am almost finished planing the whole weekend.
will post soon.

I have a question.
How many of you coming for this event, will go down to San Diego for the Show that Ryan of Secret Samurai is doing?
I can book a show at the Purple Orchid for the people that come into LA or OC on Fri and dont want to go to San Diego,
but I wish that I didn't have to do that, and everybody would go to San Diego show Fri night.

Please reply to this question, as it is necessary to know if you al lwant a show Fri in LA.
will book a local band not involved on sat or sun show, and one of the bands coming from outta state.

thanks

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff,

My intent would be to catch the San Diego show as well as all the other events. If there was a second offering at the Purple Orchid, I guess it would depend who was playing there. It is an easier drive for me but I think it could dilute the effort to have two shows at once.

Time permitting of course, but for now those dates look perfect for me.

Last year there was 5 to 8 people form LA or OC or that flew in for the event that went down to San Diego.
I want that show to do really well.
but if someone is just dead set on not flying into San Diego, or driving down from LA OC area, then that makes it more of an incentive to do a LA show also on Fri night.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I'll plan on making it to the SD show as long as logistics don't get in the way for me personally. Last year the only thing that held me back was being under-age... not an issue anymore thankfully.

Hi Wooz,

If I remember correctly, you did pretty well last year for an under age kid..................ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Mom Surfing, can you comment on this place for those considering staying in surf city? Thanks http://www.bestwesterncalifornia.com/hotels/best-western-huntington-beach-inn/

Karol Katcher and I stayed there last year as well. We loved it. They even let us keep our car parked in the garage for the day after we had checked out. As I remember, it was pretty reasonable as well, and almost beach front.

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Brian said:
Why is this being asked in 2 threads?

because I figured it would get a better response in general discussion, and it did.
but what do I know.
Embarassed

Jeff(bigtikidude)

HBkahuna
Mom Surfing, can you comment on this place for those considering staying in surf city? Thanks http://www.bestwesterncalifornia.com/hotels/best-western-huntington-beach-inn/

i'm going to make reservations to stay there again. it was within a short walking distance of the pier and all of the activity in huntington beach. rooms were nice and staff was friendly. we had a room on the bottom floor and the view out our window was an oil well. i thought it was kind of cool, others might not.

as mr. katcher pointed out, it has underground parking, so no hassles trying to find a place to park.

for those in a much higher income tax bracket than myself, the hilton is also very, very nice and has a great view of the pacific.

carol

www.surfintheeye.com

eddiekatcher
Karol Katcher and I stayed there last year as well. We loved it. They even let us keep our car parked in the garage for the day after we had checked out. As I remember, it was pretty reasonable as well, and almost beach front.

ed

Thanks for your input Eddie. I think this is absolutely the best deal/experience/most convenient place for those coming from out of state.
http://www.bestwesterncalifornia.com/hotels/best-western-huntington-beach-inn/

Freddie
if I am coming, and I hope to be, I would prefer a FRIDAY NIGHT event in SAN DIEGO (nothing against THE PURPLE ORCHID, which I LOVE!)
it just breaks things up for me, and I get to go to SAN DIEGO and that area, which I totally dig
I would hope that whatever band plays SAN DIEGO does NOT then perform again on 'Convention Day' or at the Museum show on SUNDAY
I saw a response to SPF-4 who inquired if there was room to play and the answer was 'no', that bands are, if anything, 'overbooked'
my point is, to let as many different bands play, I would suggest that no artist play more than once during the 3-day weekend

my 3.5 cents

UNSTEADY FREDDIE

Freddie,
there will be a San Diego show. maybe a PO show still undecided.
The bands that are playing Fri in SD will be playing on Sat and Sun too.
would you want to fly all the way too California from other states or countries and only play one show? Come on lets get serious man!
and I sent you a e-mail also.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

the best western was also very convenient for those of us who want to get an early morning surf session in at the pier before getting on with the days activities.

carol

www.surfintheeye.com

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009 11:09:12

mom_surfing
it was also very convenient for those of us who want to get an early morning surf session in at the pier before getting on with the days activities.

carol

you mean that some surf music people actually surf?
who'd a thunk it?
Rolling Eyes Cool

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude

mom_surfing
it was also very convenient for those of us who want to get an early morning surf session in at the pier before getting on with the days activities.

carol

who'd a thunk it?
Rolling Eyes Cool

Very Happy i've got to get mr. katcher out in the water again also.

www.surfintheeye.com

mom_surfing

bigtikidude

mom_surfing

carol

who'd a thunk it?
Rolling Eyes Cool

Very Happy i've got to get mr. katcher out in the water again also.

Oh I've been talking to Eddie.
he is so ready for round 2 with Ole' blue.
Wink

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Ooooooooh yeah! By the time I get back to Huntington Beach I'll..................................well, be somewhat better, I hope.

I'm gonna practice, practice, practice when the water warms up......probably won't help, but......what the hell.

ed

would you want to fly all the way too California from other states or countries and only play one show? Come on lets get serious man!

hey, "man", you asked for comments, so I commented

as I have no idea what bands are playing, I also, ipso facto, have no idea where these bands are from, right?

I <u>totally</u> support the concept of <u>booking multiple city dates </u>for a <u>traveling</u> band

just expressing my view that I would love to see as many different artists as possible; that's a reasonable wish, isn't it?

in no way should that comment I posted be interpreted as telling you and/or other organizers and concert bookers how to do your business, OK? are we cool on that?

I just booked multiple dates for VIVISECTORS' GULAG TUNES, so I am down with the concept 100%

I was referring, I guess, to local artists

UNSTEADY FREDDIE

http://www.facebook.com/unsteady.freddie

What's the surf like? I'm going to try learning to surf next month while I'm in Florida. Won't be worth a damn, but I might try it out there if the water isn't too big.

Will

"You're done, once you're a surfer you're done. You're in. It's like the mob or something. You're not getting out." - Kelly Slater

The Luau Cinders

Staredge
What's the surf like? I'm going to try learning to surf next month while I'm in Florida. Won't be worth a damn, but I might try it out there if the water isn't too big.

Hey Will,
HB is a fun place to learn if you stay clear of the pier (too many aggressive rippers). North a little towards Goldenwest or Bolsa Chica is your best bet. I have a garage full on longboards if you need a loaner and some tips.
Cheers,
Ted

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 517 18 Next