Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink Phil Dirt gives 4 stars to Reverb Galaxy-Angle of Attack CD

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

This post has been removed by the author.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009 21:30:51

frankly, this is really depressive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKr-WKT4aiA

Suicide

El Papu & los Fantasticos Reverberantes

well, always things could be worst....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jBoPYwpiVw&feature=related Puke

Dude,
That was shocking! Really, our music is NOTHING like that! But man, those cats have their own scene.

Art

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

Man,
I just watched it again, what the ????

Just to get back "on topic", did anyone listen to our cd "Angle of Attack"? Any further comments?

Surfcat

Agent Octopus-Spotify

big_papu
frankly, this is really depressive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKr-WKT4aiA

Suicide

oh-kay.........i lasted 17 seconds.

www.surfintheeye.com

big_papu

12 seconds

www.surfintheeye.com

ReverbGalaxy
Man,
I just watched it again, what the ????

Just to get back "on topic", did anyone listen to our cd "Angle of Attack"? Any further comments?

I listen to your songs at myspace..............to be short and concise, the songs got great melody and are good writed, and I really agree with you in try to scape of the " I IV V" thing..........I really don´t like the sound...........I´m a vintage sound lover and if it´s a bit LO-FI, better............sounds to "plastic" to me

in my experience the best it´s to record "live" all the band together with a classic vintage sound rig, not reverb plug-ins, speaker emulators and that kind of shit

nobody borns knowing everything, take it as experience, and be cool because the most important thing is there: good songwriting

mom_surfing

big_papu

12 seconds

WORLD RECORD !! Laughing

Thanks Big Papu,
appreciate the listen/comments!
Art

Surfcat

Agent Octopus-Spotify

ReverbGalaxy
Guys,
Appreciate all the comments on production. Something for all of us to consider. But, in the end I still believe a good song is a good song or a good melody line is what we hum when we go home after a show.

Im sure that's what 99% of the people think, but I agree with Zak (and others) 100% here. the dogma in musical theory is that music is melody, harmony and rhythm, but mostly, it is sound. would you rather hear Ivan Pongracic playing Pipeline, or his dog barking ' red sunrise'? Wink

also from my experience, any crowd, whether it's die hard surf fans or average joes that dont know dick dale from the beach boys, will go crazy over a well and show-y executed, great and raw sounding set of 'boring' I-IV-V surf and rock and roll classics, but will loose interest faster than you can dial in a reverb tank in tame and flat sounding brilliant compositions.

of course, neither band will sell any cd's, you'd need to have both for that.

that said, I listened to your myspace songs, and it's really not as bad as suggested here. the drums sound a bit overcompressed but I kinda like the sound, the guitars are tame but not more tame than on over half the surf recordings put out these days. a bit too modern sounding due to some weird stereo delay effect, and too clean for my taste though.

anyway, my opinion in a nutshell: great songs, not an awesome recording, not that bad either.

I agree though, if next time you have a good mic setup, mix, turn everything quite a bit upper and grab a few before recording, it might well turn out KILLER recordings.

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

WR,
Great comments just like Zak's. Although I'd have to hear Ivan's dog's version of red sunrise, which might be a quick seller on top 40 radio. Laughing

In my travels with various cover bands I found it was very easy to entertain a crowd with performance (even Reverb Galaxy wears white spacesuits Cool ) and dynamics at the expense of composition. I find this is unfortunate, but people go out to be entertained, not to listen. Do those same people buy cds at those performances? Probably not. They just want to hear the familiar, then go home.

It's not that I am not a fan of I-IV-V; it's the foundation of rock n roll! I just think that too many bands out there use it as a crutch instead of spending time and good effort to write refreshing melodies with interesting arrangements. For me, a good melody will stay with me all my life. It can be reinvented into various styles/genres of music and still sound new, yet familiar.

With all that said, and I think like everyone else on this post, I have digressed, you and Zak are absolutely right. Any good song is killed with a lackluster production. Although, I still find our cd a collection of good songs, played with enthusiasm, and am very proud of what me and the boys have put together.

Surfcat

Agent Octopus-Spotify

I'm really enjoying "Blue Sunset." Very nice song.

also in current rotation: "Medieval Cowboy" & "Two Heavies And a Cruncher" (Greaseballs), "Nose Walkin" & "Tunisian Moon" (LTM), "Castle Island Dream" (Fathoms), "No Surf Today" (F&TPB).

Hogfysshe
I'm really enjoying "Blue Sunset." Very nice song.

also in current rotation: "Medieval Cowboy" & "Two Heavies And a Cruncher" (Greaseballs), "Nose Walkin" & "Tunisian Moon" (LTM), "Castle Island Dream" (Fathoms), "No Surf Today" (F&TPB).

Haven't heard "Castle Island Dreams", which cd is that on?

Surfcat

Agent Octopus-Spotify

I agree that many surf recordings have overly clean guitars that don't translate well to recordings, but I think the way they're recorded also contributes to that "generic" sound others have mentioned.

I think surf music, more than most modern "rock", benefits from capturing a bit more of the room sound when recording, particularly drums and guitar, and maybe in a livelier room than usual. That can help give a more "live" sound, and a more natural and "vintage" sound.

I close mic the drums to get some flexibiltiy on eq & compression of the kick, snare & toms, but I rely a lot on my overheads and room mics for the overall tone or "sound", and I don't apply any effects to those.

Similarly, I use a close mic and a room mic on guitar as well, and blend in more or less of the room mic as needed to get the right bite & liveliness out of the guitar. Compression is good, but you don't want to totally kill the dynamics of the guitar either.

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=lf#!/rockinrio.delrosa

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=lf#!/TheHighTides

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=lf#!/pages/The-Blue-Demons

Rio
I agree that many surf recordings have overly clean guitars that don't translate well to recordings, but I think the way they're recorded also contributes to that "generic" sound others have mentioned.

I think surf music, more than most modern "rock", benefits from capturing a bit more of the room sound when recording, particularly drums and guitar, and maybe in a livelier room than usual. That can help give a more "live" sound, and a more natural and "vintage" sound.

I close mic the drums to get some flexibiltiy on eq & compression of the kick, snare & toms, but I rely a lot on my overheads and room mics for the overall tone or "sound", and I don't apply any effects to those.

Similarly, I use a close mic and a room mic on guitar as well, and blend in more or less of the room mic as needed to get the right bite & liveliness out of the guitar. Compression is good, but you don't want to totally kill the dynamics of the guitar either.

I think the key for us, is that we didn't want to sound "lo fi" and we didn't want to record in the traditional sense of surf records. We were kind of trying to mesh the surf genre with a little bit more of a layered sound similar to 70's and 80's recordings of our favorite artists. The songs are arranged in a different fashion than a lot of the more mainstream or popular surf bands of yesteryear and today.

I like Rio's take on the mixture of close and room sound. Sounds like you can still capture the bite with the air.

Art Cool

Surfcat

Agent Octopus-Spotify

Haven't heard "Castle Island Dream", which cd is that on?

their new one.
http://www.musickrecords.com/news.html
http://www.lala.com/#album/937030197521719924

Art-
I have had a chance to give the CD a more comprehensive listen and here are some thoughts.
1.) I think the band is on the right track in terms of composition and arrangement.
2.) You nail the genre pieces pretty accurately which seems to create a little confusion in the overall direction of the CD.
3.) It has a forced analog feel. Was it recorded 100% digitally?
3.) Overall the CD is paced well, not falling on cliche. As long as you don't do the acoustic MTV inspired unplugged versions I'll be fine.
4.) When working late into the night and my energy is flagging, your CD is as good at getting me pumped as any can of Red Bull I've had!!

Bassghost,
Thanks for the comments. We recorded in the infamous Red Room at Cue Recording in Virginia. It's kind of a "throw back" room that reminded me of a late 60's/early 70's cargo area of a "love van".

Mike Andreski, our engineer, recorded using Pro-Tools through some analog API mic pre's and a Focusrite Red Range. So I guess it was a digital/analog mix. I'm a big fan of the API's, since I use to work for them when they were located in Springfield, VA in the 90's. The mic pre's have a real warm tone, that really captures the low end.

I think the "forced analog" sound you referred to may have been some of the post effect treatment. Added reverb/processing that wasn't captured up front.

I have been experimenting with topping my sound with a little more drive and 'verb, but I kind of like the clean tone-it doesn't really allow you to hide a lot of fingering mistakes, so you have to play pretty dead on notes, as opposed to any kind of overdriven/distorted tone. . Cool

Art

Surfcat

Agent Octopus-Spotify

one way I come to find songs I like is that they will turn up playing in my head a day or two after I've listened to them. This is some dreaming-while-awake type thing. There's no other explanation for how something can just be there all of a sudden, for no good reason. Anyway, "Balkan Stomp" just did this. The fourth "shift" in the song and the cool transition after that (all of which reappears later) was there, playing. Sometimes when this happens, I won't know the exact song. It's often a riff or a section that sneaks up. So I'll set to figuring it out. Good way to be (re)introduced to a song.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next