Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink Ask a Trademark! Baha-ree-ba!!!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

I got this info in an email from Butch - he seems to be uncomfortable with posting on SG101 - or maybe he just doesn't know how? Anyway:

Butch
As I recall, we didn't knowingly record a Pt.2, but we did record a long take on Bahareeba and didn't realize until the record came out that the label had used the long take and called the flip side Pt.2.
We were novices at the time, and I remember they hired an upright bass player to double our electric bass player (John Miller). The label was located in Buena Park, but we recorded in L.A. The song came about when our sax player Larry Gillette played the song "Fascination" (in his fake book) backwards! He brought it to a rehearsal and we all hashed it out. Our original lineup was: Garry Moulton (lead guitar and bandleader), John Miller (bass), Larry Loeck (guitar), Doug ..?..(rhythm guitar & lead vocals), Larry Gillette (sax), another sax player (whose name I can't recall) and me on drums. We only stayed together a couple years and I left to join another surf band called "The Lively Ones."
Butch

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

I'm going to try to help Butch join up and post.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

man, that Ruillera clan sure is a bunch of talented dudes: Trademarks, Lively Ones and Deltones...legends all...dang!

Does Butch currently play with anyone?

Does he still dig the surfbeat?

Butch Rillera, what a guy and one of the finest drummers around. I never worked in the same band but jamed with him many times back in the early sixtys and was always inspired to play above my level by him. I worked with larry Gillette in a band called The Messengers for about a year and the guy was a musical genius even then.
Picture of The Messengers about 1965. Me on the left, Jim McFarland, Larry on Sax ,Tracy Longstreath on drums and Dave Garland on bass. He wasn't our regular bass player and was just filling in for Tony Bellemy who later went to the Band Redbone with Butch.
53Strat
AKA Jerry

I just got a PM from Butch with this very interesting fun fact:

This is Butch Rillera formerly with the Trademarks. I just saw your question about our song. Our sax player, Larry Gillette, had a "fake book", and for fun, started playing songs backwards. He played a song called "Fascination" and that's how Baha-Reeba came about.
Butch

wow, crazy!!

thanks for that Brian,
and Butch.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I just noticed today that Butch Rillera sent me a PM answering a bunch of my questions too.

Just saw your remarks. I played trumpet in my brothers band the Rhythm Rockers at Harmony Park Ballroom. Richard Berry did write "Louie, Louie" when he was their lead singer. It was based on a cha-cha they used to play called, "El Loco Cha-Cha" by Rene Touzet. He used to request it every night. One night he told my brothers about a song he wrote based on "El Loco." He played it for them and the rest is rock n' roll history. Contrary to what the FBI thought, it was based on a Jamaican sailor talking to a bartender about his girlfriend. Nothing dirty was ever said.
Both my brothers used to play with Dick Dale, and occasionally I'd sit in on drums. We also had a quartet that used to play private parties. One time we were asked to play Bobby Hatfield's fraternity party at Long Beach State. My brother knew Bobby from LBSC and Bobby's band. Bill Medley was our singer so he was there that night. During one of our breaks, Bobby asked if he could sit-in. So we introduced him and Bill and they did a duet together, "Cherry Pie." And again, the rest is history.
As far as the Trademarks, we broke up after about 2 years together. I've lost touch will all of them, but would love to re-connect with them. Haven't found any info on any of them.
Butch

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Now if we can just get Butch to post here instead of sending private messages! Smile

Butch wrote:
I've lost touch will all of them, but

would love to re-connect with them. Haven't found any
info on any of them._

Let's get Tuck on the case!

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo