Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink Ask a Trademark! Baha-ree-ba!!!

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

One of the cool surprises I get now and then from running this site is getting contacted by first wave musicians. I just got an email from Butch Rillera, who identifies himself as the original drummer for the Trademarks, and he played on the smoking hot track "Baha-ree-ba"!

Butch is looking for any info he can find on his old Trademarks bandmates. I'm not real sure we can help him with that as most people I've talked to have no idea who these guys were. But hopefully this post will bring some answers out of the woodwork.

In the meantime, Butch has graciously agreed to answer any questions we might have about the Trademarks, so please ask away in this thread. I'll act as his intermediary until we can twist his arm enough to sign up and post here. Wink

To show you how little is known about these guys, here is what John Blair has to say about the Trademarks in his 4th Edition of The Illustrated Discography of Surf Music:

Trademarks - Steve Rillera (guitar), Rick Rillera (bass), Larry Gillette (sax), Barry Rillera (sax), and Butch Rillera (drums). This band was from the Orange County area of Southern California.

Baha-Ree-Ba Pt 1 45FAN-91 Jubal 100
Baha-Ree-Ba Pt 2 45FAN-92 4/63

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

I think Butch Rillera is being far too modest in his accomplishments. If I have it right, he was in a band called the Rhythm Rockers ( not the later surf band) with his older brothers Rick and Barry who performed at Harmony Park Ballroom, and Butch might have been one of the guys that helped introduce the song "Louie Louie" or at least inspired it, to Richard Barry, who was singing with the Rhythm Rockers at the time. I don't know if he played drums then or not.

I believe he also sat in with Dick Dale on occasion, as his older brothers Barry and Rick played with D.D. too. The Rillera Bros. also brought Bill Medley and Bobby Hatfield together.

He's also gone on to other far greater projects that I won't get into here.

I'd like to hear a story or two about those shows in the 60's, and what it was like. How long did the Trademarks last?

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Is it true that the California Angels used "Baha-ree-ba" as a rallying cry one summer? Did the Trademarks have any connection with that?

I would like to know how the song Bahareeba came about. If there were any stories behind it or recording it. What was the motivation for it? What a great track!

Baha-ree-ba is in my top ten classic 60's surf instro list for sure.Now that you've mentioned it,I'm looking forward to hearing some history on this way underrated band too. Very Happy

Reverb, It's A Way Of Life!

I got a response from Butch:

Butch
The Trademarks were: myself, Garry Moulton (guitar & leader) John Miller (bass), Larry Gillette (sax and composer of "Bahareeba"), Doug ...?... on rhythm guitar and another sax player whose name I can't recall. My brothers Rick and Barry played bass and sax, respectively, for Dick Dale and the DelTones.

So the other Rillera brothers were not in The Trademarks.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

I tell you, that Larry Gillette laid down some of the most smokin' sax that I ever heard in a surf song. The rest of the band is killer too.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

The whole track smokes: the lead guitar, the rhythm guitar, the drumming, the sax!!!

So in case you don't have the single, where can people hear this? I think I first got it on CD from the Get A Board compilation on Satan Records.

Who else covers it? The Apemen and Laika & The Cosmonauts come to mind immediately.

I don't think I have ever heard part 2 however.

Brian
Who else covers it? The Apemen and Laika & The Cosmonauts come to mind immediately.

The Nocturnes do a pretty good version on the "Rare Surf Vol 2 - The South Bay Bands" compilation

http://www.reverbnation.com/spaceparty4

Duh d'oh of course I forgot the obvious one. Thanks!

yeah you beat me to it,
I think the Nocturnes cover smokes the original,
but thats just me,

I think that Jim Frias of the Nocturnes might know some of the Rillera bros.
I will call him and ask.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Real smooth, Jeff!
Butch, don't mind him, please stick around?

http://www.satanspilgrims.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Satans-Pilgrims/8210228553
https://satanspilgrims.bandcamp.com/
http://www.surfyindustries.com

Personally I don't think the original can be beat. Razz

Hypnotic IV covered it live and it sounded great.

Twisted Evil > Angel

Brian
Personally I don't think the original can be beat. Razz

I STRONGLY second that!!! One of the most perfect surf instrumentals of all time! Pure genius - and I really don't mean that lightly.

Welcome to SG101, Butch! We're very happy to have you here!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Brian
I don't think I have ever heard part 2 however.

Part II was rereleased, on Surf Creature Vol. 3 LP (but not on the CD, sadly). It's just a slight variation on part I and it's not quite as good, I think.

Butch, what's the story behind the song being in 2 parts?

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

The original version by The Trademarks works best for me. The other versions that have been mentioned are also enjoyable.

Just got another reply from Butch:

Butch
Bahareeba was written by our sax player, Larry Gillette. He had a "fake book" full of standards. He played "Fascination" backwards, and voila!...
Bahareeba!!

Is it possible to hear the original Trademarks verison somewhere online? We played a cover of that song for quite a while, but I'm actually not sure I've ever heard the original Wink

El Twitter
El Ray
El Ray on Bandcamp
El Twang on YouTube

Goto Page: 1 2 Next