Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink Latest surf or instro related record you got?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5118 119 Next

Of the latest cd's I've picked up, only one of them is "surf" -

Dr Rich makes the reverb tank scream for mercy.

The Disasternauts

Latest ones:
Madeira - Sandstorm - very good, enjoy it a lot, see it as a natural progression from the Space Cossacks, and you'll enjoy it.
Continental Sampler #12 - great stuff there - the 1st song kicks ass (Phantom Frank)
The Penetrators - Locked & Loaded - jury is still out on this one. Good, but could use more melody development. Great artwork and song names.
Ghastly Ones 7" - that's an old one I got for the cover (it looks like the Hanuted Mansion poster, so I can hang it next to it. Thanks BTD!). Of course if you don't have the first Ghastly Ones CD, do youself a favor and get it. The new demo from them is good but recorded pretty bad. Try to get it at a gig so you don't pay too much.

planning to get the Nebulas new one at Seattle.

Ran

The Scimitars

No Prob, my pleasure, glad you liked it.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

kickthe_reverb_
Ghastly Ones 7" - that's an old one I got for the cover (it looks like the Hanuted Mansion poster, so I can hang it next to it. Thanks BTD!).

Ran

Jeff(bigtikidude)

just recieved jim waller and the deltas, the fireballs and the kingsmen in the mail, from the sundazed special price section. (catching up on the old stuff)
WR

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

Klas

spskins
The Gleason stuff is pretty amazing, considering he had no musical training at all and could not read a note. He would sing his ideas for melodies and arrangements to transcribists and then control the sessions until what the orchestra was playing matched what he heard in his head.

That description fits very well for mad sound scientist Joe Meek too!

Nice shades!

"as he stepped into the stealthy night air... little did he know the fire escape was not there"

https://www.facebook.com/reluctantaquanauts/
https://www.facebook.com/TheDragstripVipers/

samurai struck by the surf coasters

and of course, the madeira "sandstorm" cd... i'm digging on that one as I drive the old jeep cherokee around town...

great tunes and ambience...especially in the middle (tracks 5,6,7)...

-dp

dp
and of course, the madeira "sandstorm" cd... i'm digging on that one as I drive the old jeep cherokee around town...

great tunes and ambience...especially in the middle (tracks 5,6,7)...

-dp

i really like the closing number 'the oasis'....carol

www.surfintheeye.com

The Astronauts - Surfin' With/Competition Coupe
Lost Legends of Surf Guitar Vol. I
The Ghouls - Dracula's Deuce (pre-order)

The last CD's I received were promos of the 6 new Sundazed surf releases, but the last one I bought was The Hondells - Alias' & Alternatives, Volume 3 from www.ccmusic.com.

Sean
Double Crown Records
www.dblcrown.com
http://doublecrown.blogspot.com

Sean
Double Crown Records
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Surf CD's / Vinyl / Fanzines / DVD's
The Desolate Coast - Without A Planet CD
Hipbone Slim aka Sir Bald - Wiggin' Out With CD
Continental Magazine - Issue #36 w/21 Song CD

Speaking of Joe Meek, I fairly recent got the now out of print and excellent "Intergalactic Instros" compilation containing several cuts from one of my favourite British instro groups, The Moontrekkers.

Check out their great and spooky "Night Of The Vampire" track right here.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

The Bambi Molesters - Sonic Bullets: 13 From The Hip

GREAT ALBUM!

really happy with my purchase

Science friction burns my fingers.

tony - make sure you pick up "Dumb Loud Hollow Twang Deluxe"...that's a monster CD too!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Klas

That's pretty cool Klas! Who were the Moontrekkers?

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Nebulas new one, and Satan's Pilgrims At Home With . . . on LP but I already had a CD of it.

I know this has probably been discussed before.
But has any surf band done a surf cover of the Cure's "Killing an Arab"?

I just played that last night at a bar while waiting to see some friends rockabilly bands play.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

intrresting thought BTD - I find sometimes with the new bands, they have a touch of new wave, esp cure, in their songwriting. the infrareds for example have some very cure-inspired stuff.

usually, though, I like th originals way better then the "off-topic" covers. I thought about orderirng the way beyond the sea comp, it's fun and all, but then I thought, there's so many (proper) surf cd's I'd still rather have....

anways,
WR

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Brian

Klas

That's pretty cool Klas! Who were the Moontrekkers?

I don't know much about them besides that they were one of Joe Meek's groups and only released a couple of 45s. I believe they recorded around 10 songs in total and 7 of these are on the Intergalactic Instros CD I mentioned above.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Joe Meek was always looking for a novelty angle for his records, and one of his obsessions was horror rock. He took North London band The Raiders, dismissed their lead singer from the studio with a raspberry (Rod Stewart later went on to some success), changed their name to The Moontrekkers, and made the eerie, creaking 'Night Of The Vampire'.

Hey Klas,
How do the rest of the Moontrekkers instros stack up?

Trode

bigtikidude
I know this has probably been discussed before.
But has any surf band done a surf cover of the Cure's "Killing an Arab"?

I just played that last night at a bar while waiting to see some friends rockabilly bands play.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Not sure, I considered it but concluded it would be a bit lame. but it's true that robert smith is one of the very few singers in pop music that actuyally has enough melody in his voice to repeat it on guitar - killing an arab is a bad example though, the vocal melody would get boring pretty quick.

WR

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

Trode
Hey Klas,
How do the rest of the Moontrekkers instros stack up?

Although I like "Night Of The Vampire" best, I also really like the other tunes including the very novelty "There's Something At The Bottom Of The Well" (just learned that the band themselves hated this one) Laughing

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5118 119 Next