Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink The Official US 2008 Laika & The Cosmonauts Tour Thread

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

LakeShoreSerpent

is this you?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/unsteadyfreddie/2987740040/in/set-72157608513038608/

UNSTEADY FREDDIE

http://www.facebook.com/unsteady.freddie

great show in Fall River last night - played Global Village, Telstar and Boris the Conductor which weren't played the previous night.

So anybody going to the actual last show tonight? I was thinking about driving to Austin but it turns out I'm tied up Sad

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

ElMonstroPorFavor
So anybody going to the actual last show tonight? I was thinking about driving to Austin but it turns out I'm tied up Sad

Get untied. You'll regret missing it.

Will

"You're done, once you're a surfer you're done. You're in. It's like the mob or something. You're not getting out." - Kelly Slater

The Luau Cinders

couldn't make the show last night here in austin, but I'll be there tonite!

Matt Kora from SF area, flew down to Austin for the last 2 shows,
now that my friends is hardcore.
Shocked

Jeff(bigtikidude)

2 things, in the end, kept me from AUSTIN
1)my SHINDIG last night,
2)my health - been sick as a dog since Wednesday

I wanted to surpise the guys and show up for the Friday gig

from what I have been told and observed, Matt Kora is the definition of a hardcore surf fan!

UNSTEADY FREDDIE

Freddie,
you give him a run for his money though,
I wish I could fly around and see shows more often.
Rolling Eyes

Jeff(bigtikidude)

yeah I did drop in to Toronto for that one night, didn't I? I am blessed that I can make these trips, cause I just get can't get enuf LIVE surf-beat instro

UNSTEADY FREDDIE

Did anyone catch them during their last two shows in Austin? Hello Thunderchiefs?

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Wow, they came, they conquered. They made so many new fans on this tour, it's a shame they won't be coming again. If you are a young musician I hope you got to see them, and I hope they inspired you to make your own great music like they did for so many of us in the early 90s. What a phenomenally good combo, they will be missed!

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

They DEFINITELY inspired me! Very Happy

I'm so glad they came out one last time...they will be missed Crying

Science friction burns my fingers.

tonybologna
They DEFINITELY inspired me! Very Happy

Yeah, me too. Those types of shows are the ones that actually have deep influence on your songwriting/playing/etc...

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

I am working on an interview with Laika & The Cosmonauts for the upcoming issue of The Continental magazine - if you have a question you'd like me to ask the band please send it to: records@dblcrown.com

Sean
Double Crown Records
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Surf CD's / Vinyl / Fanzines / DVD's
The Desolate Coast - Without A Planet CD
Hipbone Slim aka Sir Bald - Wiggin' Out With CD
Continental Magazine - Issue #36 w/21 Song CD

Here is a review from a friend (who prefers to stay anonymous) who saw them in Austin:

Anonymous
I flew into Austin around 5pm on Fri, when I saw how bad traffic was around town, I purposely lollygagged around the airport. Got a latte mocha, picked up the Austin Chronicle (free weekly paper), did NOT eat as I wanted to save my appetite for Casa Garcia (THE best chips!!!). I finally started to head over to the rental pick up area around 6pm, when I went by baggage, I saw some guy pushing a card loaded w/stuff, including something that looked like a gear case on top. Not surprising for Austin (DUH!!!), but when I looked closer, I recognized Mikko, then Matti, then Tom and finally Jani. The schlepped the cart (along w/the guitars on the backs) out the door.

There were a lot of extra mics on stage (tho the only ones I noticed were mics for audience/room "ambience"). About half the crowd was in costume (Halloween). First band, Midwest Monster, rockabilly/psychobilly (but hot chick bass player, what else is new?). Middle band, High Noon, was a big draw-also celebrating 20 years of playing (tho they took 5 years off in the middle of that time). Laika NOT in costume, they didn't get started until almost 12:45am. Played almost 90 min, well past 2am. Staff didn't rush them off, let them play encore, didn't push the crowd out the door after they finished. Highlight was "Bahareeba", some guy named Joe was PLEADING w/them to play it (and the crowd was very enthusiastic doing their vocals). They had four false starts, couldn't remember how it went? There was a crew from Finland shooting video, one guy set up back by the SBD (where I was), not as obvious as the pictures I saw from the Purple Orchid. Actually, a woman was sitting back by the guy at the SBD, she noticed his camera, got to talking w/him. Last time I saw them was outside the club, negotiating where to do her "interview".

Sat they had an event that was part of the Texas Book Fair at the venue from 7-9:30pm. Also Texas/Texas Tech football game which started at 7pm. It took them a while to push out the literary crowd, and they left
the game on the TV until the (for Texas) sad ending. Teisco Del Rey played w/his band, including Bob Spaulding (remember him from your Texas tour?) and John Jorgensen came up from the audience to play a few songs. Someone named Karen Biller on drums, think BethAnn from the Neptunas, but a few inches shorter, and a few pounds lighter.) Also a KILLER drummer, BTW. Played a bunch of Ventures covers (DUH!!pt2), about 45% TDR originals. He also had his guitorgan out, what an amazing sound! Laika came on, played two sets (OK, so the first was only 30min, but total time was almost TWO HOURS). Another "vocal" song-Look, No Head. Highlight was Romanian Surf. One song Janni dropped his drumstix at the start, Matti said he blamed the American alcohol Jani had been drinking, or that the
drugs were kicking in. Penultimate song was Telstar (DUH!!part 3), THE last song was "Fear".

Hopefully they will have a DVD available, maybe they'll broadcast on Finnish TV (any SG101 members over there???). I'm VERY satisfied and no-brainer
about making the right decision in going. They didn't talk as much between songs as SF, they often segued from song to song w/lots of "jamming" (kept thinking Grateful Dead for some reason, tho not to THAT extreme).

Something I forgot: TDR said he had been invited to play Deke Dickerson's Guitar Geek Festival (his target audience he joked). T said he was reading the chat rooms (SG101???) about his set, one person said he liked it but it didn't have enough REVERB (sounds like Big Tiki Dude!!!). T then said if the guy was in the room that this was for him, he kicked his tank (BWWANNGGGG!!!) went into The Wedge.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Brian
Did anyone catch them during their last two shows in Austin? Hello Thunderchiefs?

I wanted to make both nights so I could catch High Noon too, but was only able to make Saturday night. Only caught the first set, but they were great.

Does anyone out there have an e-mail address for Laika & The Cosmonauts? Their label, YepRoc, is having trouble getting in touch with them and I need to contact them about the piece I'm working on for the upcoming Continental magazine.

Sean
Double Crown Records
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Surf CD's / Vinyl / Fanzines / DVD's
The Desolate Coast - Without A Planet CD
Hipbone Slim aka Sir Bald - Wiggin' Out With CD
Continental Magazine - Issue #36 w/21 Song CD

Sean, PM sent. I have an email address

Ryan

There is an all-too-brief, but informative, one-page mini-feature
article/interview of Janne Haavisto by Dan "Teisco Del Rey" Forte
in the current (April 2008) issue of Vintage Guitar Magazine.
Check it out.

Bob

Bob

Thanks for the heads up Bob!

Ryan

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next