Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink The Official 2006 Kilaueas USA Tour Thread

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

Thanks to the Verbtones for the kit. I wish I could've lent mine (but obviously it is not available) and even more, wish I could've been at the show. They graciously let me play their kit in Stuttgart a long time ago, so I know that the rest of SP was glad to supply the rest of the backline.

http://www.satanspilgrims.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Satans-Pilgrims/8210228553
https://satanspilgrims.bandcamp.com/
http://www.surfyindustries.com

The Kilaueas were great at the Doug Fir, obviously having fun and well received. What is that guitar that Rolf (?) plays (the gold one not the Jag)? Loved 'em and will again tonite at Duff's with The 'Verb and The Verbtones. Oh yeah. To tie in to the DD thread, Dick is just that. The whole 'that's the way I treat my women' thing, the shitty covers (What I Say, House of the Rising Sun, Smoke on the Water, Ring of Fire, etc etc) really got old. He started out ok, but tailspun quickly. And loud. Pissed my wife off big time. Was great to see Sam on bass though. One third of Slacktone is better than none!

But, The Kilaueas, yeah baby!

Rick

Rick

homerhead
The Kilaueas were great at the Doug Fir, obviously having fun and well received. What is that guitar that Rolf (?) plays (the gold one not the Jag)? Loved 'em and will again tonite at Duff's with The 'Verb and The Verbtones.But, The Kilaueas, yeah baby!

Rick

That's a Hallmark guitar that Ralf is playing. It's a current guitar
made in Maryland, USA, not a vintage guitar. Ralf told me of
all the guitars he's played (Jazzmasters, Jags, Strats, you name
it...) it is by far the best guitar he's ever played, and he has no
intention of changing to another model. It is indeed a fine sound-
ing guitar. Volker's Jag sounded like a million bucks, too. It was
a nice contrast between the two.

Bob S.

Bob

See my pictures from the Surf Sunday show at Hotel Utah in SF here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/milesgehm/sets/72157594284936039/

Some links to video are in there too.

It was a great show, and I had a blast.

bigtikidude
Damn lazy Americans don't want to even stand at shows, let alone at work. Wink

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Sitting is for old people and the opera. I didn't try to resist the fury of the Kilaueas and actually danced! If a band is on stage busting their ass, dripping sweat and smiling, I cannot imagine sitting and staring. I've tried it and sitting is much less fun.

RobbieReverb
That's a Hallmark guitar that Ralf is playing. It's a current guitar made in Maryland, USA, not a vintage guitar.

Chris of the Volcanos has also been seen playing one of these new Hallmark Sweptwings....

Ivan

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

I hope this thread is a nice keepsake for our German friends once they get back home. And don't forget people, if anyone wants to write a longer show report, for the site database, please do! Just hit that "Submit News" button.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Last night Oli, after a drum solo, said "That is now how I treat my women". It was quite funny indeed. All those guys are very nice. Kyle of the Verbtones let us hang out with them before our gig last night at his home.

The Kilaueas were simply AMAZING last night @ The Funhouse in Seattle. I was totally blown away! I still can't believe how great these guys are. The musicianship was top-notch while still putting out a very high-energy show. Those guys go to 11!!! Wink

Being a drummer, I was floored by Oli. His time is rock-solid, every thing he played was tasty, he had awesome technique, and he even rocked a drum solo without breaking a sweat...in a suit!!! Totally pro. The best drummer I have seen in a LONG time. Shocked Shocked Shocked Very inspiring....now back to practicing. Razz

The final night of the tour was a blast! It was night 2 of the Double Crown On The Rocks fest and overall it was a great evening of music. With so many bands on the bill the Kilaueas could only play about 45 minutes, but the crowd was treated to a fine overview of songs from their 3 CD's plus a few choice covers. Their version of Caravan went on for about 10 minutes. Part of their schtick, I believe, is to invite someone from the crowd onstage during the drum solo to play guitar with them. In Dresden, when I saw them, the guy they pulled out of the crowd actually knew a few surf riffs. Last night, it was Pat, the organ player of the Barbary Coasters, who was shoved on stage by Johnny Bartlett. He couldn't think of what to play, so he just kind of stood there, but the boys in the band were quick to come up with the perfect beginner riff - Black Sabbath's Iron Man! I know when I started to play music just about every guitarist learned that riff, along with Smoke On The Water. There were a few other minor equimpent malfunctions (broken bass guitar strap, broken strings, etc.) that the band treated with humor and it was amazing to see them continue to play as if nothing was happening. Personally I'm really bummed that last night's show was the only time I could see them on this tour, but hey, it was a great 45 minutes and I'm sure I'll find a way to see them play again in the future.

I'll write much more later, but with a total of about 4 hours sleep in the last 72 hours I think I'll wait until I'm a little more coherent.

Sean
Double Crown Records
www.dblcrown.com

Sean
Double Crown Records
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Surf CD's / Vinyl / Fanzines / DVD's
The Desolate Coast - Without A Planet CD
Hipbone Slim aka Sir Bald - Wiggin' Out With CD
Continental Magazine - Issue #36 w/21 Song CD

JakeDobner
Last night Oli, after a drum solo, said "That is now how I treat my women". It was quite funny indeed. All those guys are very nice. Kyle of the Verbtones let us hang out with them before our gig last night at his home.

Hi, this s Ralf from the Kilaueas!

I have to correct this: Oli said after his burning drum solo in reference to Mr. D.D.: "This is NOT the way I treat my women!"

Alright. That`s it!
Yeah!!!!

(and.... hey Kleines, Anette!!! I look forward to treat you veeeeeeery hot!!!!)

Feel twanged!!!!!

Reverbed Regards
Ralf Kilauea

Twang cheers!

Ralf Kilauea

www.kilaueas.de

https://kilaueas.bandcamp.com/album/touch-my-alien

HallmarkSweptWinger

JakeDobner

Hi, this s Ralf from the Kilaueas!

I have to correct this: Oli said after his burning drum solo in reference to Mr. D.D.: "This is NOT the way I treat my women!"

You are very correct.

You are very correct.

Thanks!

Ralf Kilauea

Twang cheers!

Ralf Kilauea

www.kilaueas.de

https://kilaueas.bandcamp.com/album/touch-my-alien

Well, we just said our goodbyes to our friends The Kilaueas. They stayed with us over the weekend and wow - you'd be hard pressed to find a nicer group of people anywhere. I was extremely tired throughout their stay - I had to juggle everything going on with the Double Crown shows while still working each morning at my day job. During much of the weekend I was so tired I was in a strange hallucinatory state - it'll be nice to finally catch up on sleep tonight! On Sunday we spend the day in downtown Bellingham, looking at a few clothing shops. Ralf picked up a rather entertaining book at one of the shops - here it is on Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Penis-Pokey-Christopher/dp/1594741484). After that we had a nice dinner at Pepper Sisters, a local restaurant that my wife cooks at. I was worried that the somewhat eclectic cuisine wouldn't appeal to their German palates (I know that it's hard, if not impossible, to find Tex/Mex style food in Germany - even traditional Mexican food is difficult to find). However, it seemed to satisfy them nicely. (Thanks guys for picking up the tab!). After that we went back home and it was time for them to pack up to prepare for their flight today. After that we got on the subject of Man Or Astroman and I showed them my collection of 25-30 singles. At that point if I had a safe I would have put my collection in there, because I could tell that they were envious of my collection and if I wasn't careful my collection would be on a flight to Germany tonight! It was their last chance to communicate via e-mail and phone to their friends/families/co-workers back home, so a they were all took turns with my laptop, desktop and telephones. Ralf just met a new lady friend back home, and he said his courtship was progressing during the tour via phone and e-mail. This morning I had to work again, so we had a quick breakfast and said our goodbyes. Apparently after I left for work my youngest son, aged 4, caught a snake and proudly showed it to the band. It was a weekend I'll never forget. Like others have said, these guys are the perfect combination of being nice, friendly, interesting and funny. The guys (and gal) in the Barbary Coasters are the same way - it may never happen again, but the combination of the Barbary Coasters and Kilaueas is one that you just won't find anywhere else - musically incredible, but they also developed an amazing rapport where they constantly joked and teased with each other, while keeping the audience in on the joke. For example, the Kilaueas kept introducing the Barbary Coasters as the "Bavarian Toasters". So we said our goodbyes today, but I know that one way or another I'll see them again, either in Germany or perhaps another US tour. They had a great time, and although the crowds could have been bigger for some of the shows, they kept going on about how truly nice and hospitable everyone was throughout the tour. This tour was a massive undertaking, so something on this scale probably won't happen again (but then again, who knows?), but hopefully we haven't seen the last of the Kilaueas in this part of the world!

Thanks again to everyone that came out to the shows and helped the band throughout the tour!!!

Sean
Double Crown Records
www.dblcrown.com

Sean
Double Crown Records

I had to add my 2-bits and send out a big THANK YOU to The Kilaueas for visiting the west coast and doing it right!

I was a bit worried about sending my wife to the Doug Fir in Portland with my drums for them to use at the Dick Dale show. But after hearing Haley go on and on about what nice guys they are, how well they played and that they’re great showmen too… I was glad we could help out a little.

Our show with them last Thursday was a ton of fun and confirmed that they are indeed masters of reverb drenched magmaphonic high energy instrumental surf music on this or any other continent! Special thanks to Oli for letting me try out his very snappy red sparkle Radio King snare.

The après-show, three-band CD and T-shirt trade/haggle/snatch and run was fun!

Hey pal, let me tell you something… you guys come back soon, understand?!!
Steve (& Haley, too)
The Verbtones

Steve
The Apollo Four 2012-present
https://www.facebook.com/ApolloFour/
The Verbtones 2002-2012

Just a quick note - if you don't have the Kilaueas "Mundaka Calls" CD, but would like to add it, I am down to my last 60 CD's. They are available for purchase at www.dblcrown.com or for $13.00 including shipping to any US address by sending a Paypal ( www.paypal.com ) payment to: records@dblcrown.com. If you live outside the US please add an extra $1.00 for shipping to Canada and an extra $2.00 for shipping anywhere else in the world. We have a few stickers to give away to, so if you'd like one for free just mention that you'd like a free sticker with your order.

Thanks,

Sean
Double Crown Records
www.dblcrown.com

Sean
Double Crown Records

... and we left Sean some Kilaueas t-shirts ...

While on tour we had some additional ones made and we did XXL ones too,
we got some request especially from the SoCal crowd.

So if you still miss a Kilaueas-shirt in your wardrobe, get in contact with Sean.

commercial break

Smile

Aloha,
tom

Aloha,
tom

Wow cool , XXL's for us big Fatty's , thanks a ton Tom.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Damn shame they didn't make 4-XL for Adrien...

Tee hee hee hee LMAO

Geez, guess we're never playing with CHUM again now Crying

~B~

If you're still reading this thread, (what is this... the 58th post?) you can download the Kilaueas 8/31 show at the Tiki in San Diego from:
http://www.rickshawrecords.com/downloads/

• Rickshaw

Complete DIY Ribbon Microphone plans available from:
www.RickshawRecords.com

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next