Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink God Speed Spanky Twangler

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next

It is with the heaviest heart that I bring the news of Spanky's passing today. I just recieved the word for Sticks just minutes ago.

More details to follow................................

Rip must be putting a group together.

I loved those guys.......................

Eddie Katcher ( a much better man because I crossed their paths)

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Oh. Crying I'm very sorry to hear this.

I never met him in person, but exchanged emails (regarding vinyl) several times. Was a very nice guy. My sincere regards to his friends and family.

I have been dreading hearing the word. I never met Spanky, but I spent a lot of time with Sticks in HB. Prayers to the entire Penetrators family.

Scotch was Rips drink.....what was Spankys??? A double shot tonight for them.

Will

"You're done, once you're a surfer you're done. You're in. It's like the mob or something. You're not getting out." - Kelly Slater

The Luau Cinders

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009 19:44:25

This is just awful news. I am so sorry to hear this.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

My condolences go out to Spanky's friends and family. Sad

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Wow, sad day...

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

So sorry to hear this. Sad My condolences to his family and friends.

Don

What awful news...I am just speechless.

Spanky looked really great at the Clarkston Surf Festival just a couple of months ago. It is hard to believe that he is gone now.

My heart aches for Brian's wife and children...he was just 38 years old, I believe.

What a devastating Summer this has been for some really fine musicians.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

This is terrible, terrible news. My condolences to Brian's family and friends.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

wow, that Fu@%ing sucks...... Never met him, but I take Eddie K's word. I was worried that he wouldn't make it when I read his last blog. Been thru this before with family. 38 is too young - Les Paul was 94, sad, but not heart breaking like 38.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

It's hard to find the words. Spanky was a helluva nice guy. I'm glad I got to see him the last couple of times he played.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

Found this on youtube....................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8Y-b--hSf8

I'm having a beer for Spanky and watching Penetrators' Videos.

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Thank you Eddie and everyone on surfguitar 101. I had the best time I've had in a long time in HB and really want to thank everyone for all the kind thoughts and prayers you all had for Spanky and his family. I really think Eddie is right about Rip Thrillby and Spanky starting one hell of a Southern Surf Instro band up yonder. Look out!

Sticks

My deepest condolences go out to Spanky's friends, fans... and especially... his family.

• Surfbeatnik

Rest in peace Spanky... Sending good, healing thoughts to the family.

Jeff Utterback

So sad. My condolences to the whole SSS family.

Damn, I don't know what to say.
R.I.P. Spanky.
deepest thoughts and condolences to his family and friends.

Jeff(btd)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Sorry to hear the sad news. My condolences to his friends and family.

This news really sucks. Too much death these days. I can also say that I am glad to have known Spanky. What a great guy he was! My thoughts go out to his family. I can understand what they are going through, and it plain SUCKS, but I will say that I have been CONSISTENTLY amazed by their wonderful perspective and incredible faith and optimism through all of this. We could learn a lot from how they handled all of this. My heart goes out to them.

It's hard to know how to start...Spanky was such an amazing guy, both as a musician, but as a person. I doubt I would still be running Double Crown today if I had started the label with any other band. It was such an awesome experience working with the Penetrators as we plotted n' schemed for the release of the "Hit The Jetstream" 7". We all kept throwing out ideas, going back n' forth by phone and e-mail. Dialogue between songs? YES! A photo shoot aboard Bear Bryant's personal jet? OF COURSE! Cocktail waitresses servin' up martinis on the cover? It wouldn't be complete without 'em! Once we got the preliminaries wrapped up I flew across the country for the Surfari USA tour. We had the sleeves done, but the vinyl was still being pressed at United Record Pressing in Nashville, one of the stops on the tour. It didn't matter much that we couldn't sell the records - we were all just so excited to have the new release coming out. It was so great, meeting the entire band face to face for the first time at the Chukker in Tuscaloosa, and seeing them play live just 10 feet in front of me. They even opened their sets during the tour with a song or two from the 7".

The biggest thing though was getting to hang out with the guys before and after the shows. So much stuff these days is done by e-mail or over the phone, so it was awesome to be able to form a bond with the guys at the very beginning of the label. Rip Thrillby was kind of a silent partner with Double Crown, doing artwork for several releases and Continental magazines, but more importantly, being someone that I could bounce ideas off of. When Rip passed away a few years ago Spanky said he wanted to keep moving forward with the band, and it was a great feeling knowing that we'd be able to continue working together. While he may not have openly contributed to Double Crown/The Continental like Rip did, he was a great guy to get opinions from. Overall just a swell, down to earth guy with great taste in many things.

Cancer is a devastating disease - my father-in-law died of pancreatic cancer last year and we took care of him in our home during the last 9 months of his life. While I feared Spanky might be going through some of the same things my father-in-law did, I was encouraged by the fact that he wasn't letting the disease take over completely - he was still playing a few shows, attending the All-Star game, and continuing with family activities when he had the energy. While it's easy to feel down and sad about his passing, I would encourage everyone to focus on the music the Penetrators gave us, and any personal experiences you had with Spanky over the years. My thanks go out to everyone who attended a Penetrators show or purchased a Penetrators disc - as someone who's played in a few bands over the years I know what an amazing thing it is to know that people cared about your music. I'm sure all of us brought great joy to his life by being a fan of the Penetrators.

Sean
Double Crown Records
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Surf CD's / Vinyl / Fanzines / DVD's
The Desolate Coast - Without A Planet CD
Hipbone Slim aka Sir Bald - Wiggin' Out With CD
Continental Magazine - Issue #36 w/21 Song CD

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next