Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Boss FRV-1 Review

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 513 14 Next

Hey Guys,

I have been a lurker and occasional poster on here for 3 or 4 years. Been a fan of surf music for nearly twelve years and strive for a traditional surf sound with my gear. I play a Jazzmaster which has a Swamp Ash body that i built and finished, a CIJ neck, an AVRI Trem, and SD Antiquity II pickups. I own a 90's (not sure which year for sure) Fender Reverb Tank Reissue that has the C10 mod and NOS tubes including the 6K6. I have been spoiled by the depth, warmth, liveliness, and the "drip" of the tube unit. Ideally, I would love to have something that sounds as good as the tube unit but is much smaller, reliable, and easier to transport. So, when I saw this pedal was introduced I couldn't help but get a little excited. I wanted this pedal to be amazing and be a cheaper way to get a great Surf reverb sound in a much more compact package. Ordered mine from Proguitarshop.com the day it went on sale which was Thursday of last week, I think. It came in today and I've spent around an hour and a half playing it alone, at first, and then comparing it to my tube unit.

First off: Does it sound like the Fender tube reverb unit?

In some ways, Yes. It sounds very natural in the decay to my ears and is noticeably closer to the tube units depth and spring characteristics than other digital delays. It has a "drip" that increases with the dwell knob that sounds ok, BUT... nothing like the natural wet attack of the tube unit. It sounded more like a "clack" than a "drip". There were some other differences in the eq-ing of the Boss pedal. It had a mid-emphasis that tended to make the decays sounds more muddy than the tube unit. The pedal also lacks the wide and spacious 3-d like quality and the shimmery high end.
It was very reminiscent of the tube unit superficially, but fell somewhat flat when A/Bing them back and forth. Many people would not even care about the differences I'm pointing out, but most everyone on here who plays the actual tube unit will notice this right off the bat and many would most likely despise the pedal for the fact that it tries to emulate said unit but fails in many aspects.

Now...

The more I played the pedal alone, the more I liked it. When I was not comparing the two sounds I found myself very impressed with how much better and "realistic" it sounded compared to other digital reverbs. Up against other digital reverbs like the EHX Holy Grails, the Digiverb, Malekko Spring Chicken and other I think it sounds much more like the tube unit. All of these pedals sounds great and can be used easily for nice spring reverb sounds, but I wanted to review this pedal from the perspective of a surf-guitarist first off. I'm not sure if I will keep the pedal or not. I also bought a Spring Chicken a few weeks ago, and although it is a really cool pedal, I have not use for what it can do. I feel I could use the Boss reverb for practice and may even work for backup for some people.

So... in conclusion...

As a standard digital delay I give it an 8/10. Very useable and realistic spring reverb sounds.

As a replacement for the tube unit I give it a 4 or 5/10. I feel like we are getting closer with digital technology, but some things just have not been accurately reproduced when trying to emulate analog sounds like tubes and springs.

Tim

Thanks for all the great info. If you don't mind telling, what did it cost out the door Question www.myspace.com/thethunderheads

www.myspace.com/thethunderheads

No problem! I was excited about the pedal and in some ways still very pleased with it, so naturally I wanted to share some of my initial reactions with it. Maybe I will give another review after playing full volume with my bandmates this week.

It is $119 from Pro guitar shop. $129 from most other places. I just got lucky that they happened to be one of the cheaper places to buy from, I guess. I was watching their website because the photo and info came up a week before it went on sale. I knew it was just a matter of time before they were able to sell them.

Tim

Nice review. I a/b'd one of these a few days ago with a Digiverb. I thought the Digiverb's Spring setting sounded much more realistic vs. the FRV. Just my personal preference. I bought the Digiverb new for $80 so it was also cheaper than the FRV.

I owned a Digiverb a few years back and was very happy with it until I picked up the tube unit. It definitely does the "drip" attack in a more convincing way than the FRV-1. Although, if I recall correctly, it could not get anywhere near as deep a mix as the tube unit and (I'm going off of memory here) I feel like the decay and depth of the FRV-1 can do a better impersonation. I liked the Digiverb a lot. These days I find myself loving the sound of the original unit so much that its the only reverb sound I care to use and the only change I could possibly want is something that is smaller and easier to transport. But, I can never complain once I play a chord or two and hear that amazing sound that still goes unrivaled IMHO . Very Happy

Tim

Thanks for the review archimedes. I have one on order with the right to return it if it doesn't sound good to me. I suspect that I'll keep it because I tend to be a packrat but one never knows. Your findings are about what I would expect from a pedal that is trying to emulate a tube device. I'm sure that it's a valiant effort on their part but you can only do so much with modeling.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Thanks for the review, I was interested in this as a "traveler" (something I can throw in my luggage when visiting musician-friends out-of-state), and get a reasonably good surf-verb. I'll lower my expectations and maybe wait for one used. I do wish the AmpliTube folks would do a dedicated pedal, it's definitely the best reverb modeling I've heard so far.

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

thanks for the review. i just can´t wait to get one.

www.myspace.com/captaintwangandhisrhythmcat

I'm very interested... I need a spare reverb in case my unit break, and I was checking the Danelectro's and now this new Boss unit. I think I will get one and test it...

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

how does it sound when the drummer kicks in? can you get the sound across in a band situation? that would be very interesting to know.

www.myspace.com/captaintwangandhisrhythmcat

I think I'm more interested in a comparison between it and the Digiverb. There is no substitute for a tank, so comparing the two isn't fair. The Digiverb seems to be the highest rated of the 'verb pedals, but from the above it seems like maybe this is a little better....yes?

I'm getting a tank someday, but I have a hard time justifying it (well....to the wife. I'm sold) when i only play in my bedroom through a Champ 600. If I can find one for $350 or so, I might bite in a few months but freeing up $100 for a pedal is a little easier to hide......err.....manage. ;)

Will

"You're done, once you're a surfer you're done. You're in. It's like the mob or something. You're not getting out." - Kelly Slater

The Luau Cinders

eddiewagner
how does it sound when the drummer kicks in? can you get the sound across in a band situation? that would be very interesting to know.

That's a good point. Sometimes digital effects sound OK at lower volumes and then you take them out on a gig and they are pretty disappointing at gig volume.

No matter how good this pedal could be.. I would imagine a pedal like the Spring King from Danelectro with actual springs in it would be superior and a better choice. It is based off of reality not solely digital implements.

The Gomez G-Spring is spared discontinuation. Groovy

Another review with clips:

http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/guitars/fx/reverb/frv-1-216023/review

http://www.reverbnation.com/thedeadranchhands

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZEW74mHjQk

DGG

Sort of a david vs Goliath moment. Smile Somehow I think there was never any serious threat that a stomp box would dethrone the real thing.

synchro

DGG

Sort of a david vs Goliath moment. Smile Somehow I think there was never any serious threat that a stomp box would dethrone the real thing.

Tongue in cheek.

DGG
Tongue in cheek.

Indeed.

Howdie,

jsut found a new youtube review for the FRV - near the middle end he turns up dwell and tone in a more surf orientated vibe. There is a bit of drip there, but doesn't sound too punchy or poppy. It could be other elements in his setup too though.

Anyway, i'd be interested to hear verdicts as i'm thinking of getting one of these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks0WBZFLe8I

As an
alienated institution, the market is neither hostile nor friendly, simply detached and
cold.

Well, that sounds more like it.

I may order one to demo and if it's not better than what I'm currently using (Peavey Digi Reverb) I'll send it back.

I've also been considering the Dano pedal.
Just can't afford a tube unit right now and like the size of pedals. Most of my gigs are low-key type duo (guitar & harp).

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 513 14 Next