Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

bigtikidude: New link https://m.yo...
306 days ago

bigtikidude: New link https://m.yo...
306 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
291 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
219 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
219 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
138 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
117 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
85 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
79 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
40 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

79%

79%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink SG101 2009 Convention reports

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 518 19 Next

Not much of a report from me....still trying to process everything. Friday night at the Purple Orchid and yesterday at the Starting Gate were INCREDIBLE. All the bands were firing. The only downside.......it wasn't long enough.

I'm slowly uploading some pics. Here's a good one. Grandpa Paul and his boys:

Will

"You're done, once you're a surfer you're done. You're in. It's like the mob or something. You're not getting out." - Kelly Slater

The Luau Cinders

Thanks Will!

Jeff did another great job this year. Thanks to him and all the bands! More to come later!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Kudos to all --most especially to Jeff!

Hey Will, thanks for the awesome pic of Grandpa Paul and his offspring!! We had an incredible time hanging out with you guys and playing this event. As if you can't tell by the giant smiles on our faces! A huge thanks to Big Tiki Jeff. His hard work really paid of. All of the bands kicked ass. Super cool people too. Made some new friends and re-united with some old. Met the drummer who played with The Seeds in '68, and got to talk to Paul J at length about his early days and being asked to join the Beach Boys! My head is still spinning! Looking forward to more pics!

Norm

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

shivers13
Hey Will, thanks for the awesome pic of Grandpa Paul and his offspring!! We had an incredible time hanging out with you guys and playing this event. As if you can't tell by the giant smiles on our faces! A huge thanks to Big Tiki Jeff. His hard work really paid of. All of the bands kicked ass. Super cool people too. Made some new friends and re-united with some old.

Norm

Ditto! What a day, so much fun and so much music. Stay tuned in the next few weeks for lots of video from my friend Huey who taped almost the whole thing. I'm sure Freddie will posting lots of good ones too. That picture should be a POTD, just so once in a while it pops up and reminds me how much fun I had.

PS: Norm it was great playing with you, Ran and JonPaul. I thought we pulled that off rather well. Lets do it again next year.

PPS: More kudos to Jeff - he pulled off another incredible job. I know I could never have done something of this magnitude, I'm really in awe.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Last edited: Aug 02, 2009 17:35:11

and once again i missed the ghastly ones.. Sad

-Zanti

Instagram:

My IG

Combo Tezeta IG

PPPS: I get kind of over-stimulated at these kinds of things. Apologies if I didn't recognize anyone or wasn't able to have meaningful conversations. Maybe next year we can leave some space between bands for mingling.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

DannySnyder
PPPS: I get kind of over-stimulated at these kinds of things. Apologies if I didn't recognize anyone or wasn't able to have meaningful conversations. Maybe next year we can leave some space between bands for mingling.

What he said. I hit full saturation during the Astronauts part of The Surge's set - which was really cool - and don't remember much of anything until Secret Samurai started. (And killed. Their new songs are stunning, and they covered "Musume Dojoji." 'Nuff said.)

I had a really good time - like last year, it was great to finally meet some people (Rich!), and catch up with others I don't get to see very often. There were too many highlights to list individual ones, but just a few were the Ghastly Ones' wall of sound, the aforementioned Secret Samurai set, the Tomorrowmen and "Pushin' too Hard." Oh, and spending everything including food and beer money on records would probably count, too.

BTD - take a month off. You earned it, man. Thanks again.

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

Incredible Day...Thanks to all the people that organized it, provided the beautiful backline, and all who participated. All the bands were outstanding! The jam was a ton of fun to watch. It was nice to get to meet a few of you. It's hard because a lot of you look nothing like your avatar picture Wink

Jeff did an incredible job pulling this all together, cleared the stage, then hopped in the car and drove back down to Oceanside to catch Tsunami Blue and Outerwave that night. And I know he's at the Pier right now.....The guy is amazing!

Thanks Big Tiki...here's to a Life Time Achievement Award in the Surf Music Hall of Fame.

Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers

Danny, it was a real pleasure to join you, Ran and JonPaul for the jam! This will be a yearly tradition no doubt! Looking forward to next year. Also, Capt. Springfield, thanks for the "wall of sound" compliment! I must thank JonPaul on bass and Dan Moses of The Dynotones on rhythm guitar for that. I felt like they've been playing with us for years. Thanks brothers!! I too agree that Big Tiki Jeff deserves some kind of award. It's amazing that he did another show later that night and he's at the pier today. He has amazing stamina.

Just in from the HB Pier. The Orange County District Attorneys Office is looking into indicting The Surge on homicide charges for their performance. They KILLED! Rock

HBkahuna
Just in from the HB Pier. The Orange County District Attorneys Office is looking into indicting The Surge on homicide charges for their performance. They KILLED! Rock

Agreed, I definitely felt the Surge at the pier today. They are a package stimulus of their own. Or is it stimulus package?

Sound of the Surf, the movie
Facebook SOTS

Wow, it took me most of today to decompress from this weekend. Forgive me, should I gush...

Friday night's show in San Diego was a huge success. I was dumbfounded by the turnout. Thank you so much to everybody that made it out to the show. I'll post some pictures to that show's thread in a few days. The Convention was just massive surf indulgence. I had a fantastic time and was so happy we were able to play this year alongside such phenomenal bands.

It was great to meet and hang out with Norm (Ghastlys). You guys just lit the place on fire man. The Ghastly Ones are without a doubt just pure electricity on stage.

Thanks for the kind words Warren! It was great seeing you and everybody else again. I was blown away by the bands this year. Not just for the music, but for how cool the members are. The Verbtones (all of them, including Marie) are sweethearts. Just incredibly nice and supportive folks. It was so great to be able to hang out and share the stage with Danny and the TomorrowMen once again. Always an honor. When they do Claire De Lune I've got to hold 'em back. No lie.

I'll echo the kudos to Jeff. I don't know how you do it, but you hit another home run this year dude. Thank you so much for inviting us to take part this year. Kristena did a phenomenal job in getting the word out about the event as well! Lastly, a big thank you to Brian for giving us all such a great place to hang out. This weekend was definitely a celebration of this site. Brian, you rule!!

</gush>

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Norm, Danny, et al. PM me an email address and I'll send you the original file. I took it at the highest setting, and had to downsize it when I sent it to imageshack.

Will

"You're done, once you're a surfer you're done. You're in. It's like the mob or something. You're not getting out." - Kelly Slater

The Luau Cinders

Hey Ryan, very cool to meet and hang out with you too!!! Thanks for the fine compliment and the t-shirt trade. You guys rule. Big gushes all around! Cool of you to mention Tiki Tina. She deserves huge thanks for setting up the SG101 Convention MySpace page and for her tireless efforts to support the surf music scene. All involved should be very proud. I have a feeling this event is going to keep growing every year. Cheers to The Surge for your pier show today. You were great at the convention. Wish I could have caught your pier show too.

Last edited: Aug 03, 2009 09:11:15

Huge kudos to my buddy Jeff for pulling off for the second time on a row. Better, bigger and more fun than last year, that's quite a feat.
Nice meeting old friends and new, I know I have been essentially inactive in the SG101 forum since I became a father, and it was nice to see you all.

I think it is essential that the "jam" part stays, I think it was a lot of fun to watch and of course it was great to participate in, thanks Norm, Danny and Jonpaul, and Jeff, Matt, Bob and Jim!

Great band selection BTD, It was a long day, but I enjoyed all the bands.
I think Matt's amps, Jeff's drums and Jim's PA were really nice to use and expedited the changeovers.

The Ghastly Ones with Jonpaul on Bass and Dan on addtional guitar sounded great, and the crowd reaction was proof. The only one missing on stage was Necrobella...P.S. I can't get Fuzzy & Wild out of my head for some reason.

I also want to say I really enjoyed the Friday night show in San Diego, good mix of bands and good crowd made that show a success.

Looking forward to next year!
Ran
The Sand Devils

The Scimitars

Yes, a big thanks to Matt and Jeff for the use of all that incredible gear!!

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

I didn't get many shots but this fuzzy image (my apologies) of Tiki Tena's daughter Katherine playing Pipeline with Billy Blastoff, Jeff U, DP, and Bob Spickard of the Chantays was a sweet moment. That is Dave Wronski in the background.

I took a picture of this Scotsman and Danny playing the Jazzmaster I just had sold him. This shot is uncharacteristic of Danny, who usually looks like he's having the time of his life. It may been the Inca Silver Hex.

The Detonators with Don Boomer on Pushin' Too Hard: Reverbed was also a highlight for me. It was probably the only song of the day with vocals, only two chords, and based on a dare.
After seeing the Surge and the rest of the Southern Surf Syndicate we don't have to wonder what it was like to hear the Astronauts live. They settled the debate, once and for all, that white guitars sound best. True southern gentleman, thanks guys.
That was my first exposure to the Ghastly Ones....wow! Norm really knows how to connect with the crowd and whip them into a frenzy. That's entertainment! I didn't start dancing, but I think you'd have to be brain dead if you didn't feel the urge.
That is just too many good bands in one day. What a variety from the Reventlos who smashed their gear after their set (well, they broke a bass string and a snare head) to some Eleki by the Secret Samuri and the Ghastly Ones. That 8 eight hours seemed like only 7:30. I vow that I, and my children's children, will never listen to surf music again...for two hours.

Highlights were... everything. Every band brought it. I went into this event expecting the jam to not be that great, boy was I mistaken. All the players sounded really good, pretty tight for something that throws different players together. Good mix of songs, kind of built in pace and intensity as the jam went on.

Toughest thing was where to spend the time, listen and watch the bands or go meet the vendors. Mostly I settled for enjoying the music but did go back and make a couple of swag runs with the various vendors. Saturation was definitely achieved and I was getting numb at the end.

Thanks to Jeff and everyone who helped him. Thanks to the Purple Orchid for hosting Friday night's event. Thanks to everyone who flew out from points distant, I wish I could've met more of you. Hope The Surge make it back to California next year, they're fantastic!

Wow...I have so many things to write...but they'll have to wait. We don't fly back until Tuesday night. I will have to say big kudos to our beloved Bigtikidude, who once again really pulled a spectacular event off.

Ok, here are the only bad things from the weekend. After this post, when I get some time, I'll mention the good things (probably later this week).

Ok, bad thing #1. Because there is so much stuff happening, it is so hard to talk to people and not miss a band. I really don't know how to fix this or if it can be fixed. I really, really wanted to talk to a lot of people about a lot of stuff but just couldn't. Sorry everyone. The get together at Don the Beachcombers did make up for this somewhat, but not everyone came to that.

Bad thing #2: for the second year in a row I managed to make myself look like a gibbering brainless nerd while trying to talk to Paul Johnson. Embarassed

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 518 19 Next