Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink The Second Wave

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next

This is a quote from an article I found online while goofing off.

_The second wave of surf rock was led by the Beach Boys, who added Four Freshmen-style pop harmonies to the basic Chuck Berry rhythms of surf rock. Groups like Jan & Dean and Ronny & the Daytonas followed, but the Beach Boys remained the ultimate surf band for many listeners, simply because they put the appeal of the beach and surfing into words instead of conveying it with impressionistic music. _

Ralph
The Storm Surfers

Be at one with the universe. If you can't do that, at least be at one with your guitar.

if Beach Boys was 2nd wave
when was the first wave?

in the 50's like Dick said he was doing surf.
Shocked Rolling Eyes Wink

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Well, since you asked Very Happy

The first wave of surf rock was kicked off by Dick Dale and his single "Let's Go Trippin." The single was a local hit in California, but it inspired countless bands to form — groups like the Chantays and Surfaris, who had national hits ("Pipeline" and "Wipe Out," respectively). Nearly all of these groups were one-hit wonders that struggled to produce a second hit single.

Or so the man says. These two quotes, by the way, are about 90% of the article. The author was not wordy.

Ralph
The Storm Surfers

Be at one with the universe. If you can't do that, at least be at one with your guitar.

and what year did "Surfin" by the Beach Boys come out 62?
wow such a long time later,
worthy of a second wave title?

I don't agree,

the guy should have called the Beach Boys and vocal surf songs, a sub genre of the music, not give it a 2nd wave title.
to most of us here, the 2nd wave is 79 to 86 ish.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

by the way, I am just playing devils advocate here.
and picking fly shit outta pepper.
Confused

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude

That sounds about right. Was there ever a 3rd wave? Maybe we can put our thinking caps on and create it, or maybe just start the "Tidal Wave" Smile

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

Some people think the 2nd wave started in '79 and '80 with Jon & The Nightriders, The Surf Raiders, and I guess I better mention The Surf Trio or else hell will break loose.

3rd wave is generally considered the post Pulp Fiction boom, although some folks just like to think of that as being part of the whole 2nd wave revival.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

bigtikidude
by the way, I am just playing devils advocate here.
and picking fly shit outta pepper.
Confused

I posted this stuff because I don't think the guy really has a handle on what he's talking about and wanted to see how people here reacted, so I'm not going to kick about it Smile

Ralph
The Storm Surfers

Brian
Some people think the 2nd wave started in '79 and '80 with Jon & The Nightriders, The Surf Raiders, and I guess I better mention The Surf Trio or else hell will break loose.

3rd wave is generally considered the post Pulp Fiction boom, although some folks just like to think of that as being part of the whole 2nd wave revival.

I would add the Halibuts to the 2nd wave also.

and for 3rd wave.
I know its assumed that it is post pulp fiction.

but would you consider the Untamed Youth and Phantom Surfers
2nd wave. Even though they started 87ish, I would say they were the beginning of the 3rd wave. def. pushing the envelope, not just doing what the early 80's guys were doing.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Good points, and yes I forgot the Halibuts. Embarassed

bigtikidude
picking fly shit outta pepper.

You have some curious expressions out there in Cali...

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

Here is a long and argumentative thread about the "waves" classification.

I found this online awhile back. And if it's found on the internet it must be true. Rolling Eyes

Those familiar with the surfing culture understand the desire to find the perfect wave, on the perfect beach, with all the accoutrements – a car with surf racks, girls in bikinis and, of course, surf music. Few have managed to put into words the feeling one derives from this lifestyle. Perhaps that’s why surf music has no words. There remains little in life that evokes the same passion, love and lure as this sport. Even today surfing breeds a generation unto itself with its own language, its own ideals and… its own music.

CUTBACK

''its own music."

you mean like Jack Johnson.
Wink

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff, you're a very bad man...very bad.

https://www.facebook.com/index.php?lh=9353f9155b5ff32e14c998495fd00da4&#!/rich.derksen.7

Can 3 bands be a wave ? Who else qualifies for 2nd wave ? The Packards ?

bigtikidude
and what year did "Surfin" by the Beach Boys come out 62?
wow such a long time later,
worthy of a second wave title?

I don't agree,

the guy should have called the Beach Boys and vocal surf songs, a sub genre of the music, not give it a 2nd wave title.

I agree with you, Jeff. This is the most oddball definition of first and second wave I've heard to date. The Beach Boys first gig ever was at a stomp at The Rendezvous Ballroom in Dec 1961. So how does that make them second wave by this person's definition? They were there from the start playing vocals and instros.

To be honest, I always thought breaking up surf music into first, second, third wave, and so on, is kinda silly and unnecessary. So if a band starts up now, what wave would it be? Eigth, ninth, tenth wave? Get my point?

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

So, what about Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet? Late 80s to early 90s, before Pulp Fiction, but after the second wave?

http://www.reverbnation.com/thedeadranchhands

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZEW74mHjQk

I wonder if I can get a gig writing articles about stuff I don't know anything about.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

UmaFloresta
So, what about Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet? Late 80s to early 90s, before Pulp Fiction, but after the second wave?

Not a surf band, as one of their own song titles even eloquently states. Wink

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next