Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink The maximun amount of Reverb ever heard...!!!

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

I think it´s maybe in the obscure classic Rockin´ Fury by The Gestics. Issued on the cool Surfer Records label in early 1964 and compiled on the _Diggin´ Ou_t LP.

Any other suggestions?

The Astronauts maybe?

Well, if not them, then the Ass-tronauts, for sure.

SSIV

Rockin' Fury is a great track! I love the bridge in the middle.

I'd have to go with The Astronauts and The Fathoms (first 2 albums) for big time heavy hitters in this area.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Yeah, maybe The Astronauts. And Tube City by The Trashmen is another really heavy drenched... but I think that maybe _Rockin´ Fury _still wins. Hmmm

There is a stairwell at the University of Washington that causes sound to reverberate longer than I've ever heard from a amp or recording.

The Centurions used to use a pretty sick amount of reverb.

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

I just gave the Gestics a listen and the Astronauts doesn't come near the out of control amount of reverb heard on "Rockin' Fury". In fact, I can't think of anything that does.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

The Centurions used to use a pretty sick amount of reverb.

I agree with you skeeter, their version of _Churck Key _has a astonishing monolithic sound, but:

I just gave the Gestics a listen and the Astronauts doesn't come near the out of control amount of reverb heard on "Rockin' Fury". In fact, I can't think of anything that does.

I think you hit the bull's-eye Klas. Can a tank sounds this way? maybe two tanks? or maybe we have found a surf music mystery?

For me, another Reverb delight is the Jim Fuller sound. I love his use of the tank on the classic Surfaris albums, with a lot of dwell and the mixer so way up, very "aquatic".

AL CASEY has a lot of heavy reverb tunes

El Papu & los Fantasticos Reverberantes

Yes, the next time anyone brings up the "clean tone" in surf music again, point them at this Gestics track. Smile I'm sure the production may have a lot to do with it. Sounds bad-ass to me though.

JC
Can a tank sounds this way? maybe two tanks?

It does sort of sound like reverb on reverb but as Brian suggested, I would think at least some of it has to do with the recording.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Ok, of course. Although this recording seems to be very poor. This is more obviously a live recording in a low budget strange studio, not a space-age one as the Astronauts sessions.

Forgive me boys, but this guitar sound let me totally flabbergasted!

It was 1964, I can´t know it, but unless there was a weird echo chamber in this studio, this crazed guitar player was maybe crancked up his tank totally through a full reverbed Fender Twin or Super Reverb Amp, or even maybe another tank, with surprising results. A nice gift for us, the surf music lovers of the future.

And God bless the late Al Casey (who knows how many millions has Lee Hazelwood earned with that beautiful green guitar sounds in Bang Bang).

IvanP
My personal favorite for mucho-reverbo is "The Birds" by the Motivations. When the heavy-reverb-guitar kicks in about 30 seconds into the songs, it always sends shivers down my spine....

I have that song - it's Kwaaaaa-zeeeeee

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Rockin' Fury sounds like the amp's tubes are on the edge of exploding and the speaker domes are about to tear. One of the wildest, most over the top surf guitar tones from the 1st wave, that's for sure.

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

I split the Astronauts discussion out of this thread into a new one:

http://surfguitar101.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8745

Rockin´ Fury by The Gestics.

I believe the secret sauce on this recording is the room the recoding was done in. No extra reverb from amp or outboard, but the echo/reverb of the room.

http://www.reverbnation.com/thegreasemonkeyz

Here's a link for those like myself who'd never heard this before. Never thought I'd say that this might be too much reverb!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdDOZyBWe5o

Don

Last edited: May 23, 2013 11:11:56

This proves you can in fact have too much of a good thing. In this case, reverb.

The Aquamaniacs on ReverbNation
The Aquamaniacs on Facebook
The Aquamaniacs on Twitter
The Aquamaniacs on Instagram

There is a parking structure in San Mateo's Central Park that friends and I recognized as an awesome acoustic space – like Paul Horn "Inside" teh Taj Mahal. I guess we discovered Garage Mahal before it was a band name. We set up our amps, fuzz and wah pedals, and played our Strats to a rhythm box for some 40 minutes to an E7#9 funk while friends shot pictures and recorded the whole thing, until a cop came and made us stop. A readymade reverberation acoustic action piece on electric guitars.

JakeDobner wrote:

There is a stairwell at the University of Washington that causes sound to reverberate longer than I've ever heard from a amp or recording.

Squink Out!

"the amp's tubes are on the edge of exploding and the speaker domes are about to tear"

Now I have to go find my Guitar Wolf recordings.

http://www.reverbnation.com/thegreasemonkeyz

Goto Page: 1 2 Next