Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Rob Zombie on Zombie a Go Go Records

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next

Smile Here's an Interesting read. Check it out.
http://www.vh1.com/artists/news/151829/19980505/white_zombie.jhtml

The Deadbeats

Yes, that was an interesting time in the 90's revival. Too bad his label didn't last very long.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

cool thanks for posting.

I met Rob and his girlfriend at the time Sharri at a Halloween show in Hollywood with the Ghastly Ones, The Bomboars and a reunited Fuzztones,
with Jake from the Bomboars on keyboards.

I told him that I had the Ghastly Ones 45, and heard that he was putting out the cds by both bands,and how cool I thought that was that he "got it" and was pushing that stuff. he agreed that there was a connection between surf and rock/metal and he totally got it.

I also got the soundtrack to the Frankenstein movie.
that he remastered and released around the time of the Halloween Hootenanny cd.

too bad he didn't keep the label going.
Crying

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Cool article. I too wish that Zombie A-Go-Go would've stayed around. My friend Matt and I used to talk about sending demos of our horror-surf to him, but we never did. I don't think we knew at first that the label was already defucnt before we started recording stuff, though. Plus, how would it be possible for two jerks like us to have music released next to The Ghastly Ones and The Bomboras?

Ah well.

Brian
Yes, that was an interesting time in the 90's revival. Too bad his label didn't last very long.

Smile Yeah it is too bad, but for some reason despite having two great bands on his label, I'm not sure that it really would have lasted up till now. It would have been cool tho.
Cool Hey Jeff, was that Ghastly Ones 45 released before the Album? Just wondering.
Smile Jon do you till got any of those Demos? It would have been funny if you guys actually sent them Laughing they would have ended up nowhere since the label was basically "Belly Up" Laughing
Cool If any one finds more old articles of the Ghastly Ones please post them, I would like to read some of that stuff.

The Deadbeats

I always thought that Ghastly Ones,and Rob Zombie should have done a whole album together.Especialy after hearing their track on Halloween Hootenanny. Twisted Evil Was that a cool track or what?
I remeber talking to Jake from the Bomboras before one of their shows,and he said that they signed to Zombie A-Go-Go records for 3 albums.As we all know that never happend.
I even really liked the slick production that Scott Humphrey did on those albums.Ghastly Ones may not agree since they basically re-recorded alot from that first album,but I prefer the original versions the best.

Reverb, It's A Way Of Life!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008 12:21:58

These releases were my introduction to the 3rd wave and didn't come across them until sometime after Y2K, when the label was probably already defunct and the bands were on hiatus, or something. Having major league distribution probably had a lot to do with finding this stuff cuz' I was living way off the beaten path on the western slope of the Colorado Rockies at the time and bought the cd's used from a local community radio station. Promo copies. Instantly hooked by the cover art, and the sound didn't disappoint. I agree with Brandonio that more musical collaboration between Zombie and the Ghastly's would have been cool. I like that one song quite a lot. Hard to believe that this was 10 years ago.

Twisted Evil > Angel

http://www.youtube.com/comment_servlet?all_comments&v=lVic3IJ577w&fromurl=/watch%3Fv%3DlVic3IJ577w%26feature%3Drelated

Laughing Just thought I'd post this, all the comments are funny. It's people who don't know about The Ghastly Ones, or Surf Music. Laughing One of them thinks the bands name is "Psychic Fetus" Laughing and they think its Gothabilly music, I dont know what the hell that is tho Laughing

The Deadbeats

http://housewifeinhollywood.com/the-ghastly-ones/
There's a short interview here that's more recent.

Twisted Evil > Angel

norcalhodad
http://housewifeinhollywood.com/the-ghastly-ones/There's a short interview here that's more recent.

Interesting interview, but I think that The Satans Pilgrims beat them to the punch by a good number of years. I have heared this claim before from the Ghastly's drummer that they had allegedly created "spooky surf", but even The Bomboras were doing it before The Ghastlys were a band. I think that it would be more accuratly said that if you mixed The Satans pilgrims with The Bomboras, you would get The Ghastly ones.

Satan's Pilgrims just had a "spooky" name until Creature Feature, which was their horror themed album. The Ghastlies weren't the first of course (look at all the 60's horror novelty "bands" like Frankie N. Stein, The Ghouls, etc), but they did take the horror thing and ran with it.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

yeah bomboras and satan's pilgrims played a lot of diff styles of Instro,
the Ghastly ones are mostly spooky horror surf
except for the odd Eleki or garage songs.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Smile I agree, I wouldn't really consider SPs a spooky themed surf group, but they do have songs like that. And they did have different sounds to their songs, And I don't mean the Tone of their Instruments. The Bomboras had some stuff like that too, but it wasn't all like that. I guess only The GOs would be considered an all Spooky themed Surf group, with the exception of their Fuzz tunes Cool

The Deadbeats

Hi’ya Brandonio, actually it was for five LPs, but who’s counting? As soon as the papers were signed and the band went out to work (meaning they traveled east of Van Nuys Bl. to support themselves), the self-destruct timer was unfortunately set. Twelve months later and kaboom! Despite it all, the members of the Bomboras were stoked just to have the opportunity that only comes around once in a lifetime -- the opportunity to see the country and learn what exactly it means to be working band.

Confused I think only 3 of them wher really into Surf, but I'm not too sure.

The Deadbeats

Last edited: Dec 04, 2008 14:44:20

Head Shrinking Fun was like their 4th or 5th record? That's a lot for a surf band.

The Ghastly One's have always been pretty clear about their influences , both musical and otherwise. Such as Grim Grinning Ghosts...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4XYOg6K9Ww
In the interviews I've read they never claimed that they created the genre. They've got a hearse now, so I bet they're pretty committed to staying spooky. ;)

Twisted Evil > Angel

I had asked this question before. The Bomboras got back together a couple years ago and did some reunion gigs. I was under the impression they were going to do more on a regular basis. Anyone know what happened? I really dug the Bomboras and they were one of the most energetic live bands I've seen.

I will not guess why the Bomboras didn't play anymore than the New Years eve show, and let Greg Hunt reply if he wants.

but I kinda had a feeling it was gonna be a one off show.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I figured if anyone knew it be you. You know everything about the west coast scene. Your our resident expert. Thanks though.

Greetings Bigtikidude! Let’s just say that a band member’s personal manager cannot possibly serve the interests of the band as a whole. It’s both physically and chemically impossible. If they say they are, they’re lying. Remember kiddies, keep twanging the Jaguars, listen to Surfin’ Bird at least once a month, and form bands with people who have at least one foot grounded in reality. It also helps if they know how to play an instrument. -GH

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next