Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink SURF DRUM DVD here at last! Really!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next

It seems hard to believe, but our project is finally finished and ready for release. The saga unfolds like this: It started out as a modest drum instructional DVD titled "The Art of Surf Drumming" featuring tips and lessons from first, second, and third-wave drummers Bob Colwell, Tracy Longstreth, Lee Kix, and Dusty Watson, and included bonus live performances and interviews with several surf legends, including the late Jim Pash giving a priceless lecture on the birth of "Wipeout". After viewing hours of great footage, we realized that we had so much more than a simple drum instruction video. Out of this mountain of footage arose "A Drummer's Guide to Surf Music", a full-length documentary feature exploring the SoCal surf scene from '61 to the present. In addition to our four featured drummers, we've included first-hand accounts from Bob Spickard and Bob Welch of the Chantays, Richard Delvy of the Challengers, Jim Pash of the Surfaris, and many more. The all-star live band features classic performances from Paul Johnson, Dave Wronski, Ron Eglit, and even Jeff BTD! We've put these two together under the title "Pounding Surf!"---almost four hours of drums, reverb and surf lore, all from a drummer's perspective. Major kudos go to Paul Johnson, who did a heroic job narrating and editing the film.
Our self-imposed deadline for release was the August 2nd SG101 convention, and---we made it! The first copies will be on sale Saturday at Suzy's in Hermosa Beach, and Sunday at the Huntington Beach Pier show. The price is $24.99, but as a special thanks to to SG101'ers who've kept interest in this project alive ("where's the drum DVD, already?"), mention SG101 and you get it for twenty bucks. Our website is still under construction, but you can order copies securely online for the same price using Paypal (use 4orders@surfdrums.com). Please add $3.00 for S&H, and indicate SG101 in the comments box. Snail mailers can send check/MO payable to: E.G.O. Productions, PO Box 12012, Costa Mesa, CA 92627. This is a zone-free DVD and international orders are welcome, but please add $6.00 for S&H. Send any inquiries to 4info@surfdrums.com.
Special thanks to everyone who worked so hard on this thing, and to those who kept bugging us to finish it. THANK YOU for your patience! It was a labor of love and we think it was worth the wait. We hope that you like it, we think that you will.

Surf is WAY up!

Bob Colwell, Tracy Longstreth, Paul Johnson, Dusty Watson, Matt Quilter

Hey just because i'm curious do you have a pic of the atrwork by any chance?
I will be buying this very soon by the way.

Reverb, It's A Way Of Life!

I'm glad! I have a clip on YouTube from one of the HBISM surf drum events...2005, I believe.

"Turn the knob to 10 and break it off!" -Baja Marty

brandonio
I will be buying this very soon by the way.

+1

That's an impressive list of players. Can't wait to find (and change) my bad drumming habits Embarassed

I have a copy in my suitcase. Smile Can't wait to watch it. Thanks for making it.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

will there ever be a surf drum website?

takefive
will there ever be a surf drum website?

I hope not, already too many sites to screw with my free time!

When will I sleep?

Jeff Utterback

Darn, Tim Fitzpatrick not mentioned Sad A true and unique legend to surf.

the email adresses dont work for me???????

dammit, I want this!

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

It looks like this:

E-mail problems are being addressed as we speak. Use matt@reventlos.com for the time being for correspondence. All Paypal orders to 4orders@surfdrums.com have been received and are being processed---thanks!!! It was fantastic meeting all the SG101'ers over the weekend. Thanks again for your support and we hope you enjoy the DVD---we think you will.

More reverb, Bob, Tracy, Dusty, Lee, Matt

Put in my order for the DVD for my son's birthday! Thanks!

I bought a copy at the sg101 convention.
I watched part of it tonight. It is definitly a good dvd to have.
Yes, some folks were left out of the interviews.
But IMHO still a good view.

Joel

I got my copy from Matt, on Sat. and can't wait to see it.

preview clip here: http://pjmoto.com/flash/pounding_surf.html

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: Nov 06, 2008 08:45:39

Hey Jeff .
You were all over in that video. And you never said a word about it. You truely are a very modest guy.
Heck I wonder how many people here never knew you were in a very serious band surf a few years ago.

I never did. You are just to full of surprizes young man! Thumbs Up
I'm impressed. Worship

Joel

Joel,
some of that was filmed about 3 years ago,
So I kinda forgot about some of it.
and I have been in a few bands (THe Intrepids) 2 public gigs. around 2000
and the Moby Dicks, 10 songs recorded, 2 that were supposed to come out on compilations.
that was around 2003 or 4 I think.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

plus I still have not watched it yet.
so you are 1 up on me.
I've only seen clips here and there.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I'm in..paypal sent Very Happy

www.northofmalibu.com

I quickly watched a bunch of the Surf Drum DVD last night...its killer good!
I think I will sit down with a cool beverage and a pair of drumsticks and a pillow and actually watch through the whole thing again tonight...

there is quite a bit in the "lessons section" that looks like it will really help a lame non-drummer like me...

overall first impression? an excellent dvd...if you are at all interested in surf musicianship, you should acquire a copy ASAP...

I've watched the instructional video and this is really cool! I know nothing about drumming at all, but this is a good exposure. What I liked is that the video provides not only a good introduction to how surf drumming works in and of itself, but also how it can be used in the context of a song. Dusty's section in particular gives a good sense of how drums can be used in accompaniment or counterpoint. Useful info not only for drummers, but well worth noting by all the guitarists and songwriters out there. Cool stuff!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next