Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Blacktop Jazzmaster

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

I'm shopping for a cheap jazzmaster type guitar. I was thinking of waiting for the new Xaviere's with JM pickups, but was wondering if anyone had tried one of these blacktops yet. I know it's got an HB in the bridge, but was wondering if you guys thought it might make a good compliment to a strat.

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0148400500

Mike

manfromravcon.com

I've not had a chance to demo one yet.

If you are interested in a JM type rig you may want to try a DiPinto Galaxie IV before pulling the trigger. They're awesome guitars for the $$$.

I am interested in the Dipintos, but I'd really need some different color options than are currently available.

Mike

manfromravcon.com

Go see the other thread we had going.. they are offering a really pretty Seafoam Green now. Lake Placid Blue will be offered soon as well apparently. I can't recommend these guitars enough, have had one for 2 years and have no problems.

That Sea Foam Green does look nice. So that's going to be a standard color now? Lake Placid Blue sounds interesting too.

My problem is I don't have access to any JM type guitars here in Charlotte, so looks like I'll be going total word-of-mouth.

Mike

manfromravcon.com

I took a gamble and ordered my DiPinto sight unseen from MF (no local / NC dealers). That said I wasn't disappointed.

It was way more than I realistically expected. I have the Los Straitjackets model and while it is crazy looking as heck I get a lot of comments and I think it adds to the general "visual stage presentation"?

I'm with ya though, the seafoam & LPB are more appealing colors to me as well personally.

I'm guessing DiPinto is trying to empty the existing stock before releasing these new colors to the on-line dealers?

If you pick up the Blacktop Jazzmaster please review it and post it. I also saw it on Musiciansfriend fro $449. Seems like a hell of a deal. I'm also looking forward to the new colors on the DiPinto's.

looks really nice

El Papu & los Fantasticos Reverberantes

Fellas, if you are looking for a different finish, you can always buy straight stock & have it refinished. I would highly recommend Marty Bell in LA (google him) - stellar work, done very reasonably. He recently re-did a black stray in teal sparkle for me (really stunning), and a strat knockoff with lights installed in black holloflake sparkle. He has a lot of pictures of his work online in his gallery. The finishes are stellar and way sharper than most if the factory finishes!

Strat, not stray....it was a stray strat, though. Smile

Blacktop Jazzmasters are $449...that's a lot less than I was expecting. I've been ignoring these, but now that I look at 'em I think I like 'em. All you'd need to do if you wanted a "Jazzmaster" is swap that bridge p'up. I'm picturing it with a red tort guard and Jazzmaster pickups.

And the seafoam green Dipintos...to have so little money in a world with so many guitars...

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

that blacktop JM has caught my eye, nice except for the bridge humbucker. the sunburst looks ok but i kinda like the black with the mint green pickguard!
i'd like a surf green dipinto but the cash gods (the mrs. zzero) has other ideas. Crying
i like the surf green (turquoise) ibanez jetkings also, they are cheap and decent but no JM flash to 'em.
so many guitars and so little money!! why wasn't i born rich instead of..of..of--nevermind........... Wink

Enjoying the surf,sun and sand!!

Dunno why you guys hate Hb's so much.. better sound.. less noise.. perfect:)

I wanna play just like him when i grow up...

Icetech
Dunno why you guys hate Hb's so much..

I dunno if "hate" is all that accurate. I would think most here feel HBs have their application/

better sound..

Well, "better" is completely subjective. Different, yeah. Better? Who can say? It all depends on what you want to hear when you are playing, and on what sounds you are shooting for.

It is subjective and I do not hate humbuckers. I own a Tele Deluxe w/humbuckers that just kills for that nasty Blues tone.

For Surf single coils just seem to work better for me and many others though.

No rule saying you can't play Surf with humbuckers though, a lot of it is the player not the guitar imho.

I went ahead and ordered a classic player JM. I know they've gotten a rap for the changes that have been made to them, but I imagine I'll still be able to get some good surfy tones out of it... and I couldn't resist the black w/tort. Very Happy

Mike

manfromravcon.com

The best surf tones come from the player not the guitar... just play and enjoy:)

I wanna play just like him when i grow up...

That is definitely the plan Icetech. Smile

Mike

manfromravcon.com

dude's--we aren't humbucker haters . they are great for other uses--blues, classic rock, metal, etc.
my exzplanation is thus---i am a minimalist--i don't own or keep alot of stuff. i keep only 1 guitar at a time, 2 guitars is the exception not the rule. therefore i don't keep a humbucker guitar because i prefer single coils for surf use. i grew up on single coil equipped guitars and they are just part of my soundset. i gravitate towards single coil pups. 45+ years of guitar playing and i know what i prefer!
so i'm old and cheap at best. but i like humbuckers!! nothing wrong with 'em. just don't want any right now.

workin' on the cheap here!!

Enjoying the surf,sun and sand!!

I've got the Blacktop JM in my lap right now, and I'll tell you, it definitely does the surf thing. I'm no expert, but the neck pickup sounds wonderful. And I'm even enjoying the HB for now. Looking forward to trying it out with the fuzz pedal at full volume.

Goto Page: 1 2 Next