Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Show Announcements »

Permalink The Madeira, Pollo Del Mar, Secret Samurai: Aug. 1 San Diego

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Wow, what a night!! It was a great way to kick off this weekend's festivities. I started the day off by hosting The Madeira at our rehearsal room so that they could get in a practice before this weekend's shows. It was definitely a treat to watch these guys rehearse. As everyone knows, they are incredibly talented musicians. It was great to finally meet Ivan face to face. For those that have not met him, he is a very a down to earth and personable guy. Playing on the same stage as Ivan was a huge honor. The rest of The Madeira are all equally great guys. It was a real pleasure hanging out with Ivan, Patrick, Dane and Todd. You guys rule! Worship

The turn out at O'Connells was good considering we had to change venues three weeks from the gig. So thank you to everybody that came out!!

We started the night off with about a 45 minute set. The Madeira followed in what could be called an absolute sonic assault! Absolutely incredible performance by Ivan, Patrick, Dane and Todd. Ivan used my rig and I can tell you that I could not recognize the sound coming from my amp, because it has never made those sounds for me Laughing

Up next was Pollo Del Mar with sg101's own Danny Snyder on rhythm guitar, subbing for Jono who was in Mexico. Danny did a great job (no surprise) and had the coolest looking strat I've ever seen (due to the price tag hanging off of it.) Pollo sounded great as usual and played several tracks of Ferenc's latest Frankie and the Poolboys CD, which I bought this weekend. I highly recommend everybody get a copy of this CD because it is fantastic! Great, great job Ferenc!

Rounding out the evening was Zombie Surf Camp. They played a high energy set and looked like they were having a blast, which is good to see.

All in all, I couldn't have been happier with the night (except for the sound guy making me turn down my Showman Wink )

It was great to see everybody who came out. It was especially great to finally meet Brian!! Thanks for making it down! Also, a big thanks to Big Tiki Dude (Jeff) for making it down on the eve of his incredible event up in hermosa beach. Jeff, you are an absolute madman!! It was also great seeing Ran, Ben, Danny, and Hans again.

Here are some photos from the night:
http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f365/ruhar/The%20Secret%20Samurai%20with%20The%20Madeira%20and%20PDM/

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Last edited: Aug 04, 2008 11:23:10

Ryan,
What a killer night. Everybody but the sound man was stoked and in top form.
I had never seen The Madeira...holy flurking shnit!!!

Some highlights for me....
Meeting Brian "The King of Surf Guitar 101".
Black Carnation and a bunch of new Samurai tunes.
Meeting Ivan and finally seeing The Madeira.
Surf version of Baby Please Don't Go by Pollo Del Mar.
Redd Tyde turning me on to a Zombie Surf Camp cd and T-shirt.

Great job everybody.

This was a fantastic show. I'll write more later but I'm reverb overdosed right now. So cool to meet you Ryan and Steve...and Ben! And see Ran again. Oh yeah, I met Clint Beachwood finally! Secret Samurai were fantastic, Ryan is such a fluid and intricate guitar player. The Madeira were just incredible, they really locked into something and blew everyone away. PDM was fantastic, with Ferenc showing off some new Frankie and the Pool Boy tunes. And Danny was filling in for Jono, and did a great job (after beating a pedal board into submission). Zombie Surf Camp was a lot of fun I was surprised to say. The singer was real hoot. I'm sorry I didn't meet Redd_Tyde (the only regret of the evening). Again, more later, and I have some photos too.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

I really like O'Connell's , one of the nicest rooms we have played in San Diego. I hope they get better known as a live music venue. It was a fun night, the SD surf gang were all there. Huge thanks to <b>Secret Samurai</b> for providing the drums and amps.
Also, I can't give enough thanks to <b>Danny Snyder</B> who filled in for Jono on guitar. Danny played the Pollo set like he had been doing it his whole life. A great musician, and a great friend! Thanks Danny.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Here are some photos!

Secret Samurai:

The Madeira:

Pollo del Mar with Ivan:

Danny checking out Zombie Surf Camp:

A lot more photos here!!!! Tip: click on the slide show button and enjoy.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bgneal/OConnellsSanDiego2008

I'll try to write up a bit more about the show later.

PolloGuitar
Also, I can't give enough thanks to <b>Danny Snyder</B> who filled in for Jono on guitar. Danny played the Pollo set like he had been doing it his whole life. A great musician, and a great friend! Thanks Danny.

Right back at you Ferenc, it was an honor to play with you guys. Worship

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

The Pollo del Marrowmen! Rolling Eyes Very Happy

websurfer
The Pollo del Marrowmen! Rolling Eyes Very Happy

Good one! Thumbs Up

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

It has almost been a week since this happened, so I'll try to jot down some things that I remember. A week ago today I was flying out to San Diego. Hooray!

On Friday I found an average Thai restaurant in San Diego, then headed off to Mission Beach. Holy freaking crap. I was blown away. Talk about getting your batteries recharged and your priorities reset. Do you California people know what you have is truly a special thing? Don't take it for granted. The water felt so good and there was a nice breeze blowing.

Here are some photos of the beach: http://picasaweb.google.com/bgneal/SanDiegoVacation2008

After that I took nap. Smile

I received a call from Danny Snyder who let me know a whole bunch of band people were going to converge on a restaurant near the venue called Tio Leo's. Thanks Danny! I found the place and met up with the Pollo del Mar guys (Ferenc, Jeremy, Jeff, and substitute Danny), Hans from the Sand Devils and his wife ( Embarassed can't recall her name, sorry), Jeff "Bigtikidude", his English friend Mark (funny guy), Sarah from Tennessee, and eventually The Madeira (Ivan, Dane, Patrick, Todd) and Ryan from Secret Samurai. Wow was that fun and the food was great! It was so cool meeting Ryan, Hans, his wife, Mark and Sarah for the first time!

Next we went to the venue, which was very nice, air conditioned, large, in a nice neighborhood, and ample parking in the lot next door. Ryan was surprised to see that a stage had been built since the last time he was there.

There was a pretty good crowd at the start of the night, which wasn't bad considering the venue had moved a couple of weeks ago. I finally got to meet Clint Beachwood. What a warm and friendly guy. I also saw my old pal Ran from the Sand Devils, it was great seeing him again. I had met Ran at prior Surf Coasters and Satan's Pilgrim shows. I also met Rick Wilkinson from Surf Report / Rickshaw Records / Chum. He introduced himself to me as the "anti-SG101 guy". Razz

Ryan's band The Secret Samurai opened the set and got everyone going. This was a high energy very enjoyable set. I bought their album way back when it first came out and thought it was good, but put it away for a while. A week before the trip I listened to it again and it really grew on me. The band is a trio, with Steve-O-San on bass and Bill on drums. This is one of those rare bands where you don't miss the rhythm guitar. Ryan is just flying up and down the fretboard, it is quite the sonic assault. Ryan plays fast and intricate lines, not your typical simple stuff. I loved it. They even played one of my favorites from the album "Sink or Swim" (although I understand that isn't Steve's favorite. Smile ) Bill was showing off an infectious smile and Steve was hopping around with the bass. My only humble suggestions are to look at and interact with the crowd more. The music was tight and solid, and I dug the hell out of it. Ryan is a very talented guitar player. Great job!

Next up was the mighty Madeira. I had seen these guys 6 times before this show, so I knew what to expect, and they did not disappoint. They were truly on fire and put out such a tremendous amount of firepower. Highlights for me included the new songs The Saracen, the haunting Undercurrents, Wreak Havoc, Surf Fidelis, Sahar, as well as songs from the 1st album: Rogue Wave (complete with jaw dropping solo), and Sandstorm. And they played my favorite cover of theirs: Dick Dale's The Victor as well as The Treble Spanker's Dilmohammed. There is nothing better than their version of The Victor with Patrick's hellacious rhythm guitar part. Just like it was meant to be played! Hell I might as well mention their entire set list as my favorite. The guys were in top form. Dane was smiling and wailing away, Patrick's right hand was a blur, Todd was locked in, and Ivan was tearing it up. They closed the set with a truly amazing cover of the Space Cossack's (Ivan's old band) Planet of the Apes. Wow! These guys make it look so easy. Truly a band at the top of their game. (I saw them 3 more times during my trip! Woot!)

Pollo Del Mar took the stage next. Danny was substituting for Jono, who, as Ferenc explained, was in jail in Mexico. Good luck Jono. I've seen Pollo twice before and also dug the hell out of their set. Ferenc is really a gifted guitar player and songwriter, and gets a great sound out of his guitar. Jeremy is truly a monster rock drummer, and Jeff is a helluva 5 string bass player. Yes, these guys are not a trad-surf band, but still an amazing band nonetheless. Danny fit right in and it didn't look to me like he was even breaking a sweat. He was all smiles and jumping around. Which is no small feat because PDM songs aren't exactly simple. The highlights of the set for me were Ferenc bringing out the new Frankie and the Pool Boys songs, including the extremely trad surfy "Teke, Teke, Teke" (also heard on the Mach IV album Eleki), the western sounding Finito Bandito (which appears on PDM's Golden State as Dripping Springs, Texas), and playing Magyara with Ivan!! Later the band did a seamless version of Red Asphalt and Flash of Green, which are my favorite songs from Golden State. A great set, I loved it!

Zombie Surf Camp was next and I didn't know what to expect. But I found myself smiling and bopping along to these undead punk rockers. The singer was an interesting fellow: kind of short, short mohawk, and all Glen Danzig theatrics (in a good, funny way). His crowd banter was awesome. One guitarist was Redd_Tyde, who used to hang out here on the site. He was playing a mostly clean sounding Jazzmaster, while the other guitar player had a dirty sounding Ibanez metal guitar monstrosity. The drummer had a huge mohawk, and the bass player was a pure 100% punk rock bass player in looks and style. The singer would also play some keyboards and even some great theremin. I liked it!

Photos here: http://picasaweb.google.com/bgneal/OConnellsSanDiego2008

So there you have it. The next morning I picked up Danny at Hans house, where PDM was crashing. Hans and his wife were very gracious and gave me a quick bite to eat. I loved talking to you and meeting you Hans. He's a great guy. Danny and I then headed North to Hermosa Beach for the big SG101 convention.

To be continued...

Nice review, Brian. Thanks for that. I got to see most of these guys later at the convention, pier, or both, but man I still wish I could of over-overloaded and been to this show. Sigh... at least there are photos. Smile

Thanks for the review and pics Brian.
it was great seeing you again,

did you make it to Hodads burgers in Ocean Beach?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Goto Page: Previous 1 2