Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
326 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
8 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Mods for the Rhythm Circuit on a JM?

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Hey,

I think, like a lot of us, I find the Rhythm Circuit on my CP JM pretty useless, as is. It's even too muddy to play jazz on, to my ears.

Has anyone modded theirs, and if so, with what result?

Just curious what options are out there.

Thanks!

This post has been removed by the author.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009 18:10:55

i all ways wanted to put two vol controls and remove the tone cap and tone control and use it as a very clean lower vol rthym circuit instead of the mud switch that come with it

Facebook pages theSupertones
or @ Timothy C Sullivan

I find the rhythm circuit works OK when I switch to playing rhythm. Doesn't sound great by itself but as a background guitar with someone else playing lead its fine.

jimfog
I think, like a lot of us, I find the Rhythm Circuit on my CP JM pretty useless, as is. It's even too muddy to play jazz on, to my ears.

It is useless on any Jazzmaster or Jag. I've never had reason to mod it. What would I do with it? If I want less volume I just turn down the volume knob.

JakeDobner

jimfog
It is useless on any Jazzmaster or Jag. I've never had reason to mod it. What would I do with it? If I want less volume I just turn down the volume knob.

42 years ago I found it very useful on my Jaguar:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8395782498535785562&hl=en

Danny W.

Congratulations, you made your guitar sound like there was a blanket thrown over it.

JakeDobner
Congratulations, you made your guitar sound like there was a blanket thrown over it.

I made it sound appropriate to the group and the music.

Danny W.

I have the rhythm controls on my JM wired to the bridge pickup rather than the neck pickup.
I like it much better than the stock wiring (yes, muddy) and find it quite useful.
I can jump from a lead/melody level to a usable rhythm level at the flick of a switch.
Works for me, as they say. YMMV

The Volcanos

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009 18:11:42

zak
There's just enough room in there to fit a 2-knob fuzz circuit and a 9v battery.
Twisted Evil
However battery access is a lot more hassle-free with a Jaguar since you can unscrew just that one metal plate and get at it. Most fuzzes are pretty easy on the batteries, though.

Hmmmmm.... I like this idea! Twisted Evil
Has it ever been done before?

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009 18:11:46

zak

skeeter
Hmmmmm.... I like this idea! Twisted Evil
Has it ever been done before?

I did it on a Jaguar a long time ago. The Jaguar's gone now, I put the rhythm circuit back before I sold it. When I put the fuzz in a pedal enclosure it didn't sound the same as it did inside the guitar, and I've heard people say the same thing about those straight-into-the-jack Jordan Bosstone boxes. Put em in a conventional pedal box an they lose something.

Cool! Well, I may just give it a shot.

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

hi,
I'd like to mod the JM rhythm circuit: I want to have two volume pots, one for each pickup...
Has anyone an idea how to wire that? I tried to change the seymour duncan schematic for Jazzmaster, but I have only a faint idea of electronics and don't know if that could work or if it is just complete bullshit:image

JakeDobner

Welcome to the world of jazz guitar.

http://www.reverbnation.com/thedeadranchhands

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZEW74mHjQk

I like mine. Great for strummed chords.

Mike

manfromravcon.com

I "fixed" my Thin Skin JM by coming at it from the other side.

I replaced the 1M pots in the Lead circuit with 250K pots (both audio taper). The results were (1) the tone is a little beefier - without losing any of that beautiful top-end sparkle, and (2) it much more closely matches the tone of the Rhythm circuit now, so I can switch back and forth without such a drastic shift in the sound.

Mark

There are no wrong notes, just some questionable choices.

I have my JM for only one month or so, a total noob opinion here: I actually like the "drastic" change in tone between the circuits. The "rhythm circuit's" sound is antithesis of most what generally we think of as "modern"-eg. bright, clear, defined... It's unique. I like the concept, but of course it's harder in practice.
Maybe I'll mod it someday, when the novelty wears off...
Meanwhile I found it useful to do the following: crank your amp's treble real high, turn tone on lead circuit down, rock on rhythm circuit as you wish.
Also, the rhythm circuit sounds great with Fuzz. Meaty stuff.

This mod allowes you to mix the Bridge and Neck pickup with seperate volume controls if rhythm circuit is switched on.

How do I bypass the whole rhythm circuit?

Goto Page: 1 2 Next