Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink String Gauges Poll

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 718 19 Next

bigtikidude
ah what do I know I am just a bass player,
but seems WR and Danny may need to discuss the difference, huh?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Me too. Since all my guitar buddies play surf and they needed a bass player, I offered. Good thing they offered a bass too. It's a Squire P-Bass. Embarassed

Since I'm just learning how to play a bass, I haven't thought about different strings. I am working through the top 10 (or 12) surf tunes you guys put together.

BTW, I'm old and never played a guitar or bass or anything bass clef. I used to play a trumpet. Never heard of the Ventures before last year.

I am open to bass string suggestions. Or just keep playing along with Los Straitjackets (banged out Last Date last night).

Looking for some jazz and a little libations - js

Welcome to the world of surf music JimmyJazz. I put flats on my bass, as did my buddy Steve who plays in both my bands. It's much easier on the fretting hand, and sound great to me. Brightness is typically not desirable in a bass anyway, especially in this genre.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

DannySnyder
Welcome to the world of surf music JimmyJazz. I put flats on my bass, as did my buddy Steve who plays in both my bands. It's much easier on the fretting hand, and sound great to me. Brightness is typically not desirable in a bass anyway, especially in this genre.

I just realized I should be reading the 'string' thread not this 'gauge' thread.

Thanks for not flaming me.

I did get through the 17 pages of what is the best surf guitar. Now it is off to the string subject. I'll look at some flats.

Looking for some jazz and a little libations - js

I played 13-56 chromes for years before going to 12's a few years ago. Now I'm considering going back to 13's.

I remember while chatting with Dave Wronski once he told me he hated big strings because to him they sounded dead. I wasn't really surprised considering the picks he uses (more on that later*). Bigger strings require heavier picks and picking to get the same attack (simple math). What you get is a bigger sound and more sustain, but you lose fretting speed (considering you have to apply more pressure with your fingers). Dave's speed technique and light touch do not mix well with heavy strings, yet he's one of the greatest guitarists I've had the honor to see perform. Simply put, there's no "ultimate" string gauge, it's all in the way you play, the sound you're after and balancing these two things. Don't limit your potential by joining the macho contest. If you're in heaven playing .09's, you win.

*Playing with Slacktone on the same bill one night, Dave gave me some of his picks, the green "gells" and asked me to give them a try and so I did (mind you I still played 13's). Playing with this pick made the strings sound dead indeed, as I tried to apply more picking pressure to compensate, the pick snapped halfway the first song.

Matter is just energy waiting to happen.

I think the Dunlop Gels are the best sounding pick there is, especially for acoustic guitars or roundwounds. Also, you need to try Thomastik flatwounds, they blow Chromes out of the water both in feel and tone.

JakeDobner, different strokes etc...
I ordered a whole box of Thomastik Infeld 13's (was cheaper) a few years ago after reading all the positive reviews about them. Turns out I really didn't like them. Same for the Pyramids. Nickle flatwounds sound dull to me, kind of like chromes after a month or two. I can see why people like them for a particular sound, but it's just not my thing.

I also think the gels sound good (bright snap) but they also burr very easily giving a scratching sound that makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up (not in a good way, kind of like dragging a fork over a chalkboard), and breaking picks in the middle of a song is a no-go. I regularly use Dunlop tortex (wich sound darker but not as dark as nylon) but recently found some no-brand picks that seem to be halfway between tortex and gels. Great snap and I broke a few but not nearly as much as gels.

Matter is just energy waiting to happen.

I only use Tortex live. I break those gels so fast as well. If I'm recording something other than rhythm I'll use gels or if I'm just playing lightly.

What is the advantage of flatwounds in the Surf Guitar World?

I don't know if advantage is the right word since half the surf guitarists, including Dick Dale don't use flats. I find flatwounds are much easier on the fingers and have a sound I prefer.

Stormtiger

What is the advantage of flatwounds in the Surf Guitar World?

I don't know if advantage is the right word since half the surf guitarists, including Dick Dale don't use flats. I find flatwounds are much easier on the fingers and have a sound I prefer.

I think stormtiger is right on the money here: many use flatwounds, but many also play roundwounds...some even play both types! it sort of depends upon what you prefer and what kind of tone you're chasing. i think the main factor concerning string is gauge size. i'm pretty devoted to heavy gauge string (13s) whether they are flat or round. the heavies give me the sound and feel i'm after.

wooza
I think I've finally settled on what I like in strings, having tried a couple options on the new electric. I just today put 13's on my guitar and they feel and sound so friggin' great I'm overjoyed. I tried putting some on myself the other day (jumping up from 12's) but the bridge was getting pulled up and I got frightened so I brought it in to get tweaked. All the guys in the shop were like "13's? What the hell is wrong with you?" but I got them on anyways... So worth it. I love them already. Cool

...the guys in guitar shops never seem to know what "surf guitar" even is...that is until you whip out some tasty reverberated licks on one of their crappy amplifiers...then they get it...and they wonder "Hey...How do you get that awesome Chris Isaak tone???" Stupid guitar shop guys!

I play both flats and rounds, it just depends on the guitar.

~B~

I've been playing D'Addario 11s (round) for close to 13 years. I would like to take a crack at some .12 flats though, just to compare.

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

So I decided to slap on some D'Addario Chromes (.12s) on my JM. I played back to back gigs with them this weekend. Holy Crap!! I thought my forearm was going to buckle. Shocked

But, the more I play them, the more I dig the tone they can conjur up. On slow melodic tunes, they're really nice. Really strong tonal qualities. Also, they really help keep staccato picked notes together much better than my .11 rounds. I think I'll stick with them for a while and see how I do. I've been looking for a way to eliminate that 'knife in your ear' treble that's plagued me forever.

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

dp
...the guys in guitar shops never seem to know what "surf guitar" even is...that is until you whip out some tasty reverberated licks on one of their crappy amplifiers...then they get it...and they wonder "Hey...How do you get that awesome Chris Isaak tone???" Stupid guitar shop guys!

Laughing

Every word is like an unecessary stain on silence and nothingness.

I'm using 12s flats for a long time now (with Dunlop Tortex). I'd like to use 13s though........ It'll be my next set of strings. The sad thing is that I can find only Fender's over here. Also Chromes round but prefer the flats...

anyone used dean markley 16s?

where could i get 16s?

16s? Shocked

spy
16s? Shocked

dick dale uses 16s.

Dick Dale is Popeye.

Forget strings, I want to know more about this plexi Strat
I love that!

And I want to know more about how to do that Nokie-style string squeak. I love that too.

I tend to use 10s, but I'm not strictly a surf guitarist.

Swing! Twang! Shake! Twist!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 718 19 Next