Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink String Gauges Poll

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 213 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next

If you love DR Strings, you all need to check out GCS strings. They make sets especially for offset guitars. They are really great, they are just balanced very well!

SixStringSurfer wrote:

11-50 "DR" pure nickel strings on my Strat, love the way they feel and sound.

@SixStringSufer how has your experience with the DR's been? I used then for a short spam but found they broke too quickly. Possibly a bad run of strings (?) - Do they stay in tune ok and last for a while with out breaking ?

DRs are fantastic strings. The low e tends to unravel at like two months, but you shouldn't have roundwounds on your guitar for that long! And you can always solder them. Maybe every four sets this happens to me.

They stay in tune as well as any string, strings aren't the issue of going out of tune. It is bad stringing, bad nuts, and wonky bridges that cause tuning issues(not strings, vibratos, or the tuning machines).

I love the DR's. They have never broken on me once, and I play a lot of Dick Dale. Great strings, would highly recommend them.

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

I've become pretty accustomed to .11s. How would one describe the difference between 11s and 12s?

From what I can tell I like the thicker gauges. How do 11s stack up to 12s in terms of sound and playability?

https://soundcloud.com/mantisrex
Youtube
Download my rock cover of Diamond Head

Sound, I honestly don't know. Unplugged, they are a little fuller. Thicker strings equals higher action for me so I also get a clearer sound and don't flirt with buzz. With .11s, some buzz is acceptable to me.

.12s are a noticeable step up because you are almost always going to find a wound g string on there. Your vibrato will fill different, you'll have less play in the strings(for bending/expression), and they strings won't give as much when you strike them.

ive always used cleartone strings

I go back and forth with DAdarrio Chromes 10-48 - i don't know if NEW they sound much different then standard dadarrio strings (roundwound). I have not coughed up the cash for thomastik - with flats at least the chromes I find I lose the string bounce and even the 10-48 feel pretty stiff to me. Maybe I' try the DR Blues again or a Pure Nickel string OR a diff flatwound brand. FOR years I used GHS Boomers 11-50 and never thought differently until a few years ago, now I switch brands it seems every month. I actually thought the Ernie Ball Pure Nickel had some nice harmonic overtones that were pleasing when I used them.

I have had the same set of DR flats 11-50 on my Jazzmaster for 4 years!! I play 2 to 3 gigs a week! Yeah, they've got a heavy thud but, I thought that's how they were supposed to sound!

derekirving wrote:

I go back and forth with DAdarrio Chromes 10-48 - i don't know if NEW they sound much different then standard dadarrio strings (roundwound). I have not coughed up the cash for thomastik - with flats at least the chromes I find I lose the string bounce and even the 10-48 feel pretty stiff to me. Maybe I' try the DR Blues again or a Pure Nickel string OR a diff flatwound brand. FOR years I used GHS Boomers 11-50 and never thought differently until a few years ago, now I switch brands it seems every month. I actually thought the Ernie Ball Pure Nickel had some nice harmonic overtones that were pleasing when I used them.

Keep in mind Chromes are hex core and that is one reason, and being stainless, that they feel so stiff.

Your GHS Boomers are a roundcore, something I swear by. Regular D'Addarios are hexcore.

For roundwounds you might like GTS strings, DR Pure Blues and for flats Thomastik or Pyramids. Thomastik also makes a fantastic roundwound, but it isn't worth the premium over the GTS or even Pure Blues, for recording it it might be worth the splurge.

@jakedobner thanks for the ideas. Today i switched to dadarrio pure nickel (still hexcore I know) but it's what was at the store. I may go back to GHS but maybe pure nickel. I tried the DR Blues before but I don't know something didn't work for me and they would break pretty fast and some tuning challenges. The pure nickel are not as dark as flat wound, but defiantly way warmer that normal nickel, plus I get some of the round wound string bounce back. I'll keep what you say about Thomastik and Pyramid.

Tuning issues would be down to the nut or bridge not quite liking the new set. Never known DRs to cause tuning issues. And the only issue they have with breaking is unravelling of the ball end, although rare for me. Once a year maybe. If the string is breaking anywhere else, bridge or nut fault.

Anyone use string joy and what do they think of em

Sounds like a 'new' version of Fenders silicon-based "String Ease" spray.

I'm currently trying a couple of sets of GHS Boomers 11-50. So far so good.
Smile

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016 21:51:01

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 12:14:23

Sometime shortly after Christmas 1961 when I received a Strat for Christmas I broke a string, an E or B string, so after school off to the local music store I went.

The salesman talked me into buying a complete set, the same set that came with my Strat, Fender Pure Nickle Wrap No. 10 (maybe No. 100) Medium set consisting of 13, 17, 28, 34, 44, 54.

To the best of my recollection I don't recall if a lighter set was available then, I just bought what the salesman said came with my guitar

I vaguely recall sometime later, maybe the summer of 63, a friend got some Slinkys and because the gauges were smaller, he was teased for using girly strings.

The next time I went to the local guitar store to get another replacement for an E or B, or whatever string, the No. 10 set was out of stock, or no longer available, so, I bought a set of Pure Nickle Wrap Black Diamond, 14, 18p, 28W, 34, 45, 56 and have been using them since, although they don't come in set except for Flatwounds, so I have to buy individually.

I never change a string unless one breaks and several have been on for many years.

I know I am on the minority side of players who never change a string unless one breaks, or refuses to use Flatwounds, but I am old school and don't plan on changing.

Give a listen to a record my Showmen recorded and judge for yourself whether changing strings is such a big deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2IitWk23cI

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016 18:39:08

My Strat has .11-.50 DR Pure Blues on it. I had to put an .18 gauge wound G string on it to balance out the sound. My Jag has .12-.52 DR Pure Blues on it, and I actually had to put an .18 gauge wound B string on it to balance out the sound. The B string was way too loud, but the string replacement took care of the issue.

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

Last edited: Dec 09, 2016 16:15:25

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 12:20:23

I'm currently switching my 3 guitars over to GHS DYXL Guitar Boomers...10-46 with a wound G. If I don't like them, it's back to the D'Addarios. I would have liked 9's with a wound G for my Strat, but I don't see that anybody makes them. Sure do miss the Gibson Sonomatics and the L5's.

I was also about to replace the original round wound strings on my Gibson SG bass with a set of GHS Stainless Steel Precision Flatwounds, 45-95, but I just looked at the package and it's very confusing. The upper right of the packaging says "short scale light" and the bottom says "long scale plus".

Goto Page: Previous 1 213 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next