Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

bigtikidude: New link https://m.yo...
305 days ago

bigtikidude: New link https://m.yo...
305 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
291 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
218 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
218 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
138 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
117 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
85 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
78 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
39 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

79%

79%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Bandmaster Dimensionality - I'm baffled...

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

The black tolex (speakerless) Bandmaster 2-12 cab that I bought has an odd height measurement .

...Whereas all the specs in print I've seen say they are 21" tall, by 32" wide.

Mine measures 20" tall by 32" wide.

Am I measuring incorrectly, do ya think ?
It's just the box, right ? Not counting glides ?

Also... I've looked at pictures of the BACK of these, and every one seems to have a row of panel screws across the middle, as well as around the edge. Mine only has back panel screws around the edge...none across the middle.

Did some BF Bandmaster cabs have a speaker divider and some without a divider?

The seller says that the divider was removed and the baffle swapped out before he got it.

I will open it soon and post pix.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012 18:40:27

Sounds like maybe you could have a Bassman cab....They don't have the center divider, and as far as I know the 2x12 Bandmaster always did. The mid 60's Bassman cabs are the same size as the Bandmaster cab. Unless they built a new back for it, you'd see the missing screw holes. You should be able to tell once you open it up.

What's the centerline dimension between the hold down mounting nuts on top? It's 25" for Bandmaster...I think it's probably 23" for Bassman.

ps...my Bandmaster cab measures 32"x20" not counting glides.

thanks....

see, that's just it... the posts are 25" on center.

That's what keeps throwing me.

It's time to get out the screwdriver then and post some pics!!!
One of the amp guru's will know for sure.

I do know only one guy in the surf genre with the smaller 2x12 cab and that's Dr. Lehos of The Ghastly Ones

I believe for a very very short time Fender did make a smaller 2x12 cab in 1961 to early 1962 for the brownface Bandmaster without the center divider.

Heres my late 1962 2x12 brownface Bandmaster cab with center divider essentially the Bassman used the same exact cab as well in this time period till 1967 and then Fender made the bigger 2x12 cabs from 1967 to the early
1970s.

Cheers
Kyle

-Kyle

Beyond The Surf YouTube channel
Beyond The Surf Instagram
The Verbtones @ Instagram
The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009 13:35:34

Rolling Eyes arrgh~! SILLY ME.

Evidently I need better eyewear. hah...
I had the cab stowed in a dark room and just couldn't SEE the middle row of screw-holes. They are there....but without screws or finish washers.

ANYWAY..... I'm taking the back off soon and takin' pictures.

I'm almost certain that the baffle is not original because the grille-cloth is mounted directly onto it.

Isn't the grille-cloth suppose to mount on a frame that has a trianglar corner for the logo and a strip down the center? I tink so.

And Ben, I'm glad to hear that your cab measures 20" too..... I read somewhere on the net this morning that Bandmaster cabs sometimes measured 20" tall and sometimes 21" tall.

But the Fender Amp Book and The Fender Amp field Guide both do NOT mention this variation.

OK.... hey Dice-o-.... sorry, I didn't mean to snub ya.... I think you posted while I was composing, so I missed your reply. Thanks for the pix etc......

If you'll look at the following pics, there's some interesting stuff going on.

a. obviously, someone has mounted a flat logo in place of the raised logo. That's fine with me, I have an extra raised and I certainly like having an extra flat now.

b. You can see that the grille-cloth is mounted directly to the baffle. You can also clearly see that the baffle is a home-made affair - and it's thickness measures 11/16" (basically 3/4") plywood. QUESTION: what is the correct thickness for the original baffle board ?

c. There's also no doubt that this is not the orignal grille-cloth. It's oversized and there's shabby holes along the inside that Fender wouldn't have done. BUT: it does resemble some kind of Fender cloth. I have supplied a close-up. Any guesses ?

SUMMARY: in my view, somebody removed the original grill, grill frame, baffle and divider....then created a new baffle and stuck what appears to be maybe cloth from a Silverfaced (oversized) cabinet on it and replaced the logo. - strange doings, but I'm glad to have it.

oh....fergot to mention... the back panel is made from partickle bored.

that's correct, eh ?

moving along... got the head situated. Now for a new baffle and some silver sparkle grille-clothe.
(and a host of other little fussy details)

Added some casters. Now for a new (more correct) baffle board. I guess Baltic Birch - 1/2"...... evidently available in 7, 9, 11 and 13 plies!
I'm guessing the more plies the better ?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012 18:43:16

Your cabinet is supposed to be 32" wide x 20" tall & 11 1/2 deep.

A black tolexed 2-12 cabinet would have come from fender with 1/2" particle board back & front baffle.

The baffle would have had 1/4" 1" wide strips attached to the edges & down the center. The center strip would be lined with a strip of felt.

The triangle corner piece for mounting the logo in the corner.

The pictures of your grill cloth show that the grill cloth was from 68 or later.

The baffle is definitely homemade, it would have had 8 studs for each speaker with kep nuts. It would also have finishing washers under the baffle mounting wood screws. Usually painted black, both sides
All 2-10, 2-12, 2-15 cabinets had a center divider board.

I noticed some t-nuts on the side of the cabinet, can see not reason for those.
While your at it locate holes for the tilt back legs, in case you decide to add them.

Not sure you can hear the sonic difference between 5,7,9, 13 ply plywood.
Remember Leo used the cheapest wood he could buy at the time. True most of it was better than what you can buy now.

any questions just ask.

Bob
www.beaverbottoms.com

That's great BB's.

I've already added three things... a center divider, the correct logo and the tilt-back legs. But your input it much appreciated and understood.

My main focus right now is to create a more original baffle board with the 1/4" strips to stand-off the new grill cloth that I have.

Right now the grill lays flat across 3/4" plywood.

THANKS!!!!

My guess is your local supplier only has one style of baltic birch, so go with that. There's also a plywood called 'Apple Ply' which is pretty good too.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Lessee.. I think maybe two or three lumberyards, and then HomeDepot.
Between them I should round up something aquaduct.

I think last time I checked the nearby lumberyard, they quoted me 7 and 9.

How ya been Danny ?? Cool...

Bob... actually, the baffle mounting screws DO have finish washers... but the one pictured didn't. The T-nuts you see on the side is the remainder of previous ownes effort to mount wheels. The cabinet already has tilt-back legs. They were removed before I took the pictures. Soon to go back on.

SO... Since last posting, I obtained a D130F. So, yesterday I created a new baffle from 9 ply baltic birch and the black paint is drying as I type. New Silver sparkle grille cloth goes on tomorrow.

I guess the only issue will be the set of screw holes down the middle of the back. Don't need the center divider anymore. It wasn't Fender - just something I cobbled together a while back.

Pictures coming.....

Last edited: Apr 02, 2012 20:08:08

Louie, try taking a 1x3, lay it flat on the back in a spot where you can screw it to the back using the existing holes in the back.
It will act as a stiffener.

Can't hurt, easy to change out, if you want

Bob

beaverbottoms wrote:

Louie, try taking a 1x3, lay it flat on the back in a spot where you can screw it to the back using the existing holes in the back.
It will act as a stiffener.

Can't hurt, easy to change out, if you want

Bob

Yes.. that's a terrific idea. I will do that for shure. THANKS

Last edited: Apr 03, 2012 09:33:52

Here's some updated pictures of the Bandmaster project.
The new baffle.

THE INITIAL LAYOUT - CENTERING THE SPKR

CIRCLE MARKER

APPLYING THE 1" STRIPS

PATTERNING FOR THE BADGE MOUNT

BADGE MOUNT INSTALLED

FLAT BLACK

Next stop.... grille cloth.

Looking great ! nice work so far.

vintagesurfdude wrote:

Looking great ! nice work so far.

THANKS....nice Candy Apple Red JM.