Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink The String thread

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 217 18 19 20 2128 29 Next

Ivan, I've been on a serious Iommi kick lately, and started researching his string gauges and various tunings throughout the years. He does indeed use .008p-.008p-.011p-.018w-.024w-.032w for E flat tuning, and even does a C-sharp tuning with .009p-.010p-.012p-.020w-.032w-.042w... that must feel pretty loose, but riffmaster still destroys with 'em!

I recently got a certain guitar with humbuckers (of no interest to surfers), and I'm currently using D'Addario EXL115 Nickel Wound 11-49 in standard C-tuning. Feels about right coming from 9's on a 25.5" scale strat in standard E.

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

I use 9-42 at the moment, but im going to try 10-46 soon. Its just that i love to do bends up to a fourth or fifth. Im unhappy if i cant do that anymore.

Ernie Ball Regular Slinky (10s). I'm a creature of habit. I've been using the EB's for longer than I can remember. I remember my uncle using them when I was a little kid in the 70s. I idolized both him and my older brother, both guitarists. I've just seen Slinkys around my family forever. Not sure I'll ever have a need to change. They really have served me well.

I've gone back to what I'm most comfortable with and what seems to sound the best to me. GHS Boomers 11-50

Though I still throw the occasional set of flatwounds on either my strat or tele. In those cases DAdarrio Chromes in the past but I think I should try Thomastik 11-47 (jazz swing flats).

skeeter wrote:

Just bought some new D'Addario Chromes and noticed a pretty bad spelling error. Argh

Being a graphic designer myself I can both sympathize and laugh hysterically!
They probably printed a TON of those.

Bought some today at the local guitar place and showed that to the tech - it was the first time anyone had pointed that out - we both got a laugh.

Hey guys, I'm going to downtune all the strings on one of my strats by one tone. I currently use Ernieball roundwounds .011s but I want to move to flatwounds.

What brand and gauge of flatwound strings would you suggest for this lower tuning, so that the tension and the response is close to my current setup?

https://zakandthekrakens.bandcamp.com/
https://www.dirtyfuse.com

squier VM SSH Telecaster -> 10s (ernie ball regular slinkys)
squier std telecaster ('95 korean) -> 10s (fender nickel)
squier std strat ('96 korean) -> 9s (fender nickel)

and cutaway electro acoustic has 'extra light' 11s as i found 12s too heavy on it.

i'm not keen on the slinkys as i've had a few cases where they've been rusty/missing coating in spots right from the pack.

RaistMagus wrote:

Hey guys, I'm going to downtune all the strings on one of my strats by one tone. I currently use Ernieball roundwounds .011s but I want to move to flatwounds.

What brand and gauge of flatwound strings would you suggest for this lower tuning, so that the tension and the response is close to my current setup?

Hi,
you could try this string-tension calculator:
http://www.bangzero.org/stringtension/

It doesn't support "flatwound" per se, but I think the option "hr - half round wound" will get you close enough.

cheers,
irv

Just curious...has anyone tried these new technology extra strong strings that everyone's been advertising the heck of lately? Particularly, the Ernie Ball M-Steel and D'Addario NYXL?

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

Stirz wrote:

skeeter wrote:

Just bought some new D'Addario Chromes and noticed a pretty bad spelling error. Argh

Being a graphic designer myself I can both sympathize and laugh hysterically!
They probably printed a TON of those.

Bought some today at the local guitar place and showed that to the tech - it was the first time anyone had pointed that out - we both got a laugh.

"Enoch Light & the Attack of the LGIHT BRIGADE?"

JONPAUL wrote:

Just curious...has anyone tried these new technology extra strong strings that everyone's been advertising the heck of lately? Particularly, the Ernie Ball M-Steel and D'Addario NYXL?

Yes, and they ate all my mids. (Specifically the EB Cobalts and M Steels) I totally hated them. I kind of think they're for that stereotypical scooped metal sound, but I didn't buy an Orange amp for a scooped sound. I went back to regular old power slinkies.

Last edited: May 04, 2014 17:00:50

A number of people have asked what a Stratocaster sounds like with flats. For what it's worth, this is my 2001 MIM Standard Strat. It's wearing a 2001 USA Standard Strat neck courtesy of Norm Jones (Thanks so very much, Norm! What a difference a neck makes; it's like a whole new guitar.). The pickups are almost certainly stock, but in this clip the neck and bridge pups are blended 50/50. The strings are the now unavailable Curt Mangan 11-52 flats. I'm playing through a Fender Super 4X10. All I did was plug in and turn up the amp.

So there you have it. A Strat with flats. If you've already seen the video, this is what made all that racket. Big Grin

Oh, yeah. I wish I'd removed the Snark before playing. Ugh!

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Jun 05, 2014 04:21:52

I just started playing la bella .12 flats on my jaguar and they sound amazing.
However when I play minor (7th, m7, etc) chords the G string is muted. Will lowering the action on just that one string make it easier for the G to ring out?

pavlovsdog wrote:

I just started playing la bella .12 flats on my jaguar and they sound amazing.
However when I play minor (7th, m7, etc) chords the G string is muted. Will lowering the action on just that one string make it easier for the G to ring out?

Lowering the action will cause it to fret out/buzz/whatever more. You want to raise it.

Be careful to look for the string hitting the intonation screw at the back of the bridge.

Also, re-reading your post I can't think of a possible reason minor chords would make the string sound muted... Dead fret? Nut issue?

It's an issue with the index finger barre not properly fretting the G string.

Remember when you were first learning to play barre chords how none of the notes came out properly? Same deal.

Action is already pretty high. Don't need to worry about the intonation screw since it's mastery bridge.

edit: sorry, it's hard to articulate.

Last edited: Jun 05, 2014 19:34:47

Here's what I use on my guitars:
DD Fender Strat replica: Ernie Ball 14-58 roundwounds. 14, 18, 28, 38w, 48w, and a 58w.

Fender AVRI '62 Jaguar (currently for sale): Ernie Ball 11-54 roundwounds

Fender MIM '50s Strat: Dean Markley Blue Steel 11-52 round wounds.

Fender AVRI '59 Strat: Rotosound Roto Purples 12-52 roundwounds.

CaliforniaMaxx wrote:

Here's what I use on my guitars:

Fender AVRI '59 Strat: Rotosound Roto Purples 12-52 roundwounds.

Yes Good man, Maxx! The best Strat strings out there! Thumbs Up

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

IvanP wrote:

The best Strat strings out there! Thumbs Up

They'd better be Ivan 'cos I just received 10 sets I ordered, based on your recommendations Wink I'll be trying them out in a while, the current d'Addarios on my Strat are only about a week old.

In the flatwound department, I strung the Jazzmaster with my first ever set of Pyramid Gold 12-52's yesterday after playing d'Addario Chromes for about 7 years, and all I can say is: WOW ! These are awesome strings, a tad expensive but awesome, worth every penny. I put 'em on, tuned, stretched each string once and re-tuned and stayed in tune during the whole 3 hours of rehearsal. Never had that with other brand strings on their first run. And the sound you get from them is so beautiful, so rich. So goodbye d'Addario, hello Pyramid Guitar

"Duck Tape is like The Force: it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together"

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Speedball-JR/151771678181829?fref=ts
https://twitter.com/SPEEDBALLJR
https://itunes.apple.com/be/artist/speedball-jr/id389972205

SaschaReynders wrote:

And the sound you get from them is so beautiful, so rich. So goodbye d'Addario, hello Pyramid.

They are a nice string but the beautiful sound goes dull all too quickly I found. They still sound nice though and I kept a set going for nearly year by wiping them over with (of all things) lemon oil, particularly on the underside brought them back to life. Really must get myself some light machine oil one day.

SaschaReynders wrote:

IvanP wrote:

The best Strat strings out there! Thumbs Up

They'd better be Ivan 'cos I just received 10 sets I ordered, based on your recommendations Wink

Shocked Maybe you should have started with, oh, I don't know, ONE??! I'm very confident about my recommendation, but everybody IS different!

Good luck!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Goto Page: Previous 1 217 18 19 20 2128 29 Next