Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
319 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
247 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
247 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
167 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
145 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
114 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
107 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
68 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
1 day ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
1 day ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2127 128 129 130 131245 246 Next

Killer comp series featuring fantastic raunchy instrumentals of the late 50's and early 60's...

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012 12:54:00

Digital Download

CD

Discogs
bandcamp

Awesome, thanks, Teisco! March 5th can't get here soon enough!

Home alone now - CRANKING seriously loud the following:

Holy shit. Just amazing. Pure goosebumps on every song. Genius. I worship Blackmore!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Yes! I'm not a metal-head but of love that early DP stuff. Not metal, IMO just pure hard rock! Richie rules!!

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Right on, Norm, glad to hear that! The whole band was just mind-blowing. Ian Paice is one of my all-time favorite drummers, the swing in that guy's playing is out of this world. And Gillan's voice - phewww, just forget it, astonishing. I think if this CD also had Hard Lovin' Man and Pictures of Home, it would cover pretty much EVERYTHING essential by the '70s Purple. I have all that stuff on individual CDs, but couldn't resist this best-of since it comes with a DVD with Jon Lord commenting on all the tracks (which I haven't checked out yet). Getting to hear all these classic tracks back-to-back makes you really appreciate what a remarkable band they were. (And being the Strat fanatic that I am, I've always loved that cover. Smile )

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

I was 13 when my big brother bought "Made in Japan" - we wore that sucker out! Just an amazing live set. Blackmore and Gillan's guitar/vocal duel during "Strange Kind of Woman" blew me away then and still does!

Bill S._______

HELLDIVER on Facebook

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012 11:57:50

I'm still so very stoked about this years SG101 lineup, so I've been listening to a lot of those bands.

Right now I'm listening to the album VICTORY AT SUNSET by the awesome 9TH WAVE.

There is a great mix of elements on this album. Some space, some spooky, some spy. There's even a little xmas tune at the end! Heck of an album. I really dig it. Special thanks to Mike for sending me this. You rock, Mike! Really looking forward to seeing you guys play this year!!

I also have their album CREEPSTERS FROM THE DEEP. Another great mix of surfy elements. If you haven't checked out these guys yet, you really need to.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012 12:04:22

IvanP wrote:

Right on, Norm, glad to hear that! The whole band was
just mind-blowing. Ian Paice is one of my all-time
favorite drummers, the swing in that guy's playing is
out of this world. And Gillan's voice - phewww, just
forget it, astonishing. I think if this CD also had
Hard Lovin' Man and Pictures of Home, it would cover
pretty much EVERYTHING essential by the '70s Purple. I
have all that stuff on individual CDs, but couldn't
resist this best-of since it comes with a DVD with Jon
Lord commenting on all the tracks (which I haven't
checked out yet). Getting to hear all these classic
tracks back-to-back makes you really appreciate what a
remarkable band they were. (And being the Strat
fanatic that I am, I've always loved that cover. Smile )

+1!!
Mind blowing arpegdio's begin at 1:40 --
And check out the solo that starts at the 10:00 mark in the second video.

https://www.facebook.com/coffindagger
http://coffindaggers.com/
http://thecoffindaggers.bandcamp.com

Sweet Child in Time! One of my favorite tunes to play in the car when on road trip.

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012 13:40:27

The Springsteen performance from last night on Jimmy Fallon. I'll be damned if this isn't one of the best performances I have seen in years and years. This reminds me of what I loved about music in the first place. If this single is any sign, it looks like Bruce has another classic album no his hands.

www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/bruce-springsteen-and-the-e-street-band-we-take-care-of-our-own-on-fallon-20120228

THE KBK ... This is the last known signal. We offer Sanctuary.

www.thekbk.com
http://www.deepeddy.net/artists/thekbk/
www.reverbnation.com/thekbk
www.facebook.com/thekbkal

i saw deep purple in the late 60's. i wore all purple. oh what a geek i was. (great show by the way)

www.surfintheeye.com

My new Continental Magazine #19 CD! :o)

psychonaut wrote:

IvanP wrote:

Right on, Norm, glad to hear that! The whole band
was
favorite drummers, the swing in that guy's playing
is
out of this world. And Gillan's voice - phewww,
just
forget it, astonishing. I think if this CD also had
Hard Lovin' Man and Pictures of Home, it would cover
pretty much EVERYTHING essential by the '70s Purple.
I
have all that stuff on individual CDs, but couldn't
resist this best-of since it comes with a DVD with
Jon
Lord commenting on all the tracks (which I haven't
checked out yet). Getting to hear all these classic
tracks back-to-back makes you really appreciate what
a
remarkable band they were. (And being the Strat
fanatic that I am, I've always loved that cover. Smile
)

+1!!
Mind blowing arpegdio's begin at 1:40 --
And check out the solo that starts at the 10:00 mark in
the second video.

As awesome as the solos are,
my fave part of Child in time is the Keyboard chords, and Ian's wails.
goosebump inducing for me.
Ivan,
I have an old cd only version of that Best Of that I got at Target for 4.99 back in the late 80s or early 90s.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

IvanP wrote:

Right on, Norm, glad to hear that! The whole band was
favorite drummers, the swing in that guy's playing is
out of this world.

Another Deep Purple fan chiming in!! Ian Paice is definitely one of my favorite drummers, Roger Glover is incredible on bass, Richie Blackmore loves the whammy bar is the best way possible, and Jon Lord is Jon Lord.

I love all their albums up to Machinehead, then I start waning off.

m/ Deep Purple m/

Science friction burns my fingers.

Awesome to see all the Purpleheads coming out of the woodwork! Smile Carol, all purple, eh? Awesome! I'm sure that was an amazing show. One of my first big live shows was Purple in May of '87. I was almost right at the fences, one person back, right in front of Blackmore. I was already a huge fan of his, and I remember my friend and I just completely freaking out when he walked out. To me the man just embodied cool. It was an amazing show, Lord was bashing the shit out of his Hammond, I couldn't believe how physical he was with it, he'd just grab that thing and push it around, let it drop (getting the awesome reverb crashes - a big part of the Purple sound!), slam the lid down on the keys, stricking stuff for a highly impressionable 17-year old. And Blackmore smashed a Strat at the end, and then threw the pieces in the audience behind me. It was like a pack of wolves fighting for fresh meat! Complete pandimonium! I got a couple of wood chips that I still have. Smile Afterwards I talked to the guy that ended up with most of the body. It was interesting to see that the cord was nailed into the body to make sure the guitar didn't get unplugged while Blackmore was swinging it around and smashing it! Besides being an amazing show, the music was just powerful. Ah, the memories....

Nice videos, Victor! There are some great Purple DVDs out there. They realy put a lot of effort into presenting the material is as well as possible, and with the official DVDs they completely succeeded. It's just full of gems. The '70s footage is the best.

Jeff, yeah, this CD I got is the new, expanded version, I know this album's been out on CD in the past. I did watch the 90 minute video on the bonus DVD that comes with this new version, and it was phenomenal. Lord went song by song through the entire CD, giving his reminisces about the writing, recording, or whatever, and then they'd have a video of each song, sometimes live performances, sometimes promo clips. It is fantastic! Definitely worth the price of admission alone!!

Tony, I agree about the quality dropping off after Machine Head. Who Do We Think We Are was very mediocre; Burn started introducing some funk elements which were not to my taste, but a few of the tracks are pretty phenomenal - the title track, You Fool No One, Mistreated, and 'A'200, the track with one of Blackmore's most incredible solos ever; and finally Stormbringer was a bit of a disaster. Good thing that Blackmore started Rainbow. BTW, the reunion album Perfect Strangers, was quite incredible, a definite return to form. Unfortunately, nothing came even close after that....

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

shivers13 wrote:

Killer comp series featuring fantastic raunchy
instrumentals of the late 50's and early 60's...

Yeah, killer series indeed. I highly recommend all six volumes to anyone not into heavy metal.

Just finished listening to the above Al "Jazzbo" Collins collection. Dig the opening track "Little Red Riding Hood" for a truly hip fairy tale:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRaymAb8AX8

Also, check out the extended and updated 1967 version, where the wolf now have joined the Viet Cong and grandma haven't had the time to straighten up her pad after a "happening" the night before, haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNGtafP5AYc

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Throw all the rotten vegetables you want but I'm listening to:

Mosrite guitar and bass, Fender reverb unit, Fuzzrite fuzz pedal, Echoplex,
Vox super Beatle amps, glissandos, reverb crashes, Vox Continental organ...
How can you go wrong?
Recorded at Gold Star studios, and engineered by Richie Podolor!

https://www.facebook.com/coffindagger
http://coffindaggers.com/
http://thecoffindaggers.bandcamp.com

Last edited: Mar 03, 2012 08:02:56

"The Tijuana Three" by the Deadlies. I'm still on my first listen of The Deadlies Go to Nashville and enjoying every second of it.

psychonaut wrote:

Throw all the rotten vegetables you want but I'm
listening to:

Mosrite guitar and bass, Fender reverb unit, Fuzzrite
fuzz pedal, Echoplex,
Vox super Beatle amps, glissandos, reverb crashes, Vox
Continental organ...
How can you go wrong?
Recorded at Gold Star studios, and engineered by Richie
Podolor!

Hell Yeah!!!
I need to get that album,
I have In A Gadda Di Vida, and Ball.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

i have 'in a gadda da vida' too and my 20 year old son has loved the title song since he was a wee lad. i think he could sing all 17 minutes of it including the drum solo.

www.surfintheeye.com

Goto Page: Previous 1 2127 128 129 130 131245 246 Next