Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink Surfing Help

Page 1 of 1

Hey, what would would be the ideal board for someone 5'5"-5'10"? It will be used for waves 5-10 feet. Basically will be used in Virginia Beach and Outer Banks, if that helps anyone. I was looking at funboards, but many people told me once they got better, they had to sell that board because they didn't like them. I'm not exactly rolling in cash. I found this: http://cgi.ebay.com/WEBBER-AFTERBURNER-Shortboard-surfboard-s-Several_W0QQitemZ300259171929QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item300259171929&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14, but I don't know if I can use it, I'd prefer a shorboard to a longboard. Thanks

Khaled

Sonichris
I also like to think that all early 60's fender equipment is happy to be playing surf music again. After all, its the music it was meant to play.

Khaled,
I agree with the fun board idea. You will struggle for years trying to learn on a 6' potato chip board. Start on something with a little more "girth" that will float you and catch waves easily. Once you get better, then you can move to a more high performance board. I would say either a 7'6" to 8"6 fun shape mini-log or even a full blown 9' log to start. Catch waves, get the feel for standing up and riding white water first. Then try moving out to the "heavies" and actually riding wave faces.

My opinion is people get too frustrated if they start on short boards (unless you're an 80 lb/10 year old grommet like I was when I started).

One more thing...buy used...you could sell the board in a year or two for not much less than you paid for it.

Hope that helps. Ted

Thanks Ted, I am pretty skinny and kind of short, but not too short.
Something like this? http://www.waveridingvehicles.com/boards.html
Look up the High Performance Funboard.

Sonichris
I also like to think that all early 60's fender equipment is happy to be playing surf music again. After all, its the music it was meant to play.

Either the High Performance or even better, the Full House look good to me.

Now go get wet!

Kman,
You won't want anything to do with 10' surf for several seasons.
Ted gives good advice. You should look for a sturdy, old, used board (the opposite of what you look for in a girlfriend). Not the sleek, thin, sexy one that you want to show off on the beach. Don't buy new. Beginners are very hard on surfboards. The High Performance Fun Board (how could you go wrong with a <u>fun</u> board right?) is probably not a good beginner board either. They are typically very thin and light. Also that one looks like it has a lot of rocker which will make the board looser and more squirrelly...good once you know what to do with it). A flatter board like The Fullhouse would be a lot easier and faster to paddle. Look for about 2.75-3" thick, 22-23" wide, about 7'6"-8'6". That board will float you really well and make it easier to start catching waves. Also, be sure it's something you can comfortably carry, put in the car, etc. I am not familiar with east coast conditions but you will probably start out riding mushy whitewater waves for a while. If it's 5'-10' stay on the beach and watch. Wear a leash but learn to hold on to your board. That way you don't clobber somebody else.

Are you anywhere near Carol (Mom Surfing) shop? She would probably be able to hook you up. good luck

Get a used 9'6-10" fat rail and a lot of spoon you'll catch waves you didn't even want..know your limits (true for all of us) stay out of the big stuff for a long time..make friends with the locals and give them first call..

www.northofmalibu.com

Thanks for the replies, the Full House does look good. Carol lives like, this far http://maps.live.com/?q=&form=MSNH#JnJ0cD1wb3MucTN4dm5zOG55aGQ2X25lYXIrMTY5NitEYW0rTmVjaytSZCUyYytWaXJnaW5pYStCZWFjaCUyYytWaXJnaW5pYSsyMzQ1NCUyYytVbml0ZWQrU3RhdGVzX19fZV8lN2Vwb3MucHc1bmJ6OHE0YnMyX25lYXIrQ2FwZStQb2ludCtSZCUyYytOYWdzK0hlYWQlMmMrTm9ydGgrQ2Fyb2xpbmErMjc5NTklMmMrVW5pdGVkK1N0YXRlc19fX2VfJnJ0b3A9MCU3ZTA= . That's close to my house, but not the exact addrress. I like the Full House. Would that be a good investment. However, I do go to Nag's Head for like a week or so in the summer, which is near there.

Sonichris

BTW, the average hers is about 5 ft, they do go to 10 ft, sometimes. When I go to the OBX, where Carol is, there are like 10 footers. Man, these two towns are like Surf paradises aren't they?

Sonichris

The Fullhouse is not necessarily the very "best" board for you. Just maybe the best of the boards you showed us. Probably not a "good" investment though. I repeat, beginners are hard on boards, a used board is probably a better investment. Ride it for a year or two and then trade in or sell it. Try borrowing or renting a couple boards before you buy.

Also, again I'm not familiar with east coast conditions but I bet as you gain experience and wave sense those 5' waves may become 1-2' waves Smile

I do plan on buying used, I just needed to know the best size. WOuld anything from 7-10 feet be good for me?

Sonichris

Size and type of board depends on your experience level. Beginner--start with a long board and once you gain the arm strength and ability to time your take-off, then you can move to the short/performance boards. If you've been surfing awhile, then borrow or rent a shortboard and see if you like it.

The take-off on a short board will be totally different and very frustrating to a beginner. With a long board, or even "fun" board, you can paddle into the wave. With a short board, you wait until the wave jacks up and launch yourself close to the curl. Short boards don't do well in small surf.

I second the recommendation to get a used board. Fiberglass boards ding easily. Epoxy boards are more expensive but more durable and float like corks, but if you ding it, it's an expensive repair. I would stay away from the foam boards.

There is a plastic board made by "Bic" in various sizes--the 9', 9.4' and 10' Bics are good boards, relatively inexpensive, and virtually indestructible. The 7'6" to 8' Bic is a pig--don't buy it.

The same plastic is used for Bic wind surfers. I've been surfing for 10 years now and still use a 10' Bic for the simple reason that I am old and lazy and can run it into the rocks in Malibu, and then patch any dings with Plumber's Goop. My only complaint--Bic boards are made in France.

At your weight and height, and assuming you are a rank beginner, I say rent, borrow or buy a 9' Bic Classic Long--$500 new. It will aways be a good back-up or loaner board if you move on to something else. I bought a 9' Bic for my daughter, who is 5'1 and 100 lbs, and she likes it a lot better than the 7'10 epoxy board I gave her.

http://www.shorelinesurf.com/bic-surfboards.htm#bic

goober

Thanks, I bookmarked that link, I guess I found my board. Are you sure a 7 footer wouldnt be better?

Sonichris

It's the same with guitars--try it before you buy it. Bic's are a common rental board simply because they are cheap and durable, and you should be able to find them locally. Sure, short boards with pointy noses look cool, but if you are a beginner, you'll spend a lot of time watching the long boarders catch all the waves. Beware of the $2-$300 board--you get what you pay for.

goob

Thanks Goob, if they don't have rental Bics, should I try one as close as possible.

Sonichris

For what it's worth, a 6'8" - 7' board would be ideal to learn on as it has the length to give you some stability and the shortness to allow some maneuvers on.

I'd head for a larger round tail, thruster type with fairly soft rails, this would be good in anything from 2' to 8' surf, maybe a bit larger but they tend to get a little loose in 8 to 10'.

Mals are for older blokes, where we don't like struggling to get into the wave as much, you get a bit of hull speed up paddling the mals.

Mom surfing sells boards as well as surfs, so she will able to point you in the right direction as well.

I'll ask her as well, thanks to all the people with experience.

Sonichris

To help anyone with reccomendations this is average Surf here in Virginia Beach
image.

Sonichris

Kman,
Around here we would call that a nice clean 1-2'.
I stand by my previous recommendations for you.
Especially the part about beginners being hard on surfboards.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8wp6DxJBYU
Good luck

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008 19:12:08

Ok, all I can say, is Virginia Beach is a great place to start out.
Croatan, which is maybe the biggest spot in Virginia Beach image

Sandbridge, another nice spot in Virginia Beach

Sonichris

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-4-New-Epoxy-Retro-Fish-Surfboard-Fun-Board_W0QQitemZ180304556726QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item180304556726&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Would this be pretty good to start on? I think this was at Surfintheeye.com. I don't have cash now, but I'm trying to figure out what I'd like to buy.

Sonichris

Page 1 of 1