Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Must...buy...Yamaha SGV

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 519 20 Next

zak

big_papu
I just purchase it for an EP that we are going to record with "eleki" cover songs

When's that coming out? Did you decide on the songs yet?
I actually bought my SGV to be a "backup" for my Mosrite but I like it enough to use it a lot more than I expected to.

big_papu
I like yuzo more than takeshi, because I am a kind of "melodic" guy............even, takeshi´s playing is GREAT, not bad for a "surf" guitarist ........jajajajajaj Wink

I wish Yuzo had recorded more instrumentals...but Takeshi has some real melodic stuff too. I think they were really different players. Yuzo strikes me as much more concise and economical, and Takeshi sounds like Nokie Edwards times 10. definitely a wild player, but really sloppy sometimes! But that doesn't bother me...I love his sound.

jajajajajja.....yeah, you are rigth, takeshi sometimes plays really dirty , but is a nice style

I wish that yuzo do more instrumentals too, but sure he got the best ones, and i like him over takeshi because he is a great songwriter.......yep, we choose the songs, they are going to be standars because we have to put eleki "in the map" of surf music here, you know, not many people knows about eleki here...sure you go to find there "black sand beach", "ginza ligths" "sukiyaki", "yozora no hoshi", "aoi hosikuzu" and "sentimental guitar"...........maybe thats the final songlist

El Papu & los Fantasticos Reverberantes

This post has been removed by the author.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009 19:33:59

zak
You should do a cover of Tsugaru Jongara Bushi!

How about the Sharp Five? You like them? They had some great stuff...Golden Guitar...Haru No Umi...YEAH!

yeah, they are great !! ........maybe for "los kahunas eleki nro 2"

I use to have a 69 yamaha YC10 combo organ like the one that sharp 5 use to play in perfect shape, really nice

........here was a guy in the forum with an authentic guyatone sharp 5 ........did you see he and the guitar? that axe its great !!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009 19:34:02

zak

big_papu
here was a guy in the forum with an authentic guyatone sharp 5 ........did you see he and the guitar? that axe its great !!

You mean "bots" from the Von Drats?
He was playing that guitar when they played with us here a while ago - beautiful guitar with a real cool tone, but it needed a setup badly.

yeah, maybe that guy..............about the songs, you know, its difficult, we only can put 6, and there are a lot of good tunes to choose..........so we decide to do the more "obvious" or "representative", like yozora no hoshi, because we want to people get interest in eleki and start listen to it...........and if people don´t get interest in eleki music, maybe we can score some asian chicks , jajajajajajajajaja Rock

zak
I don't think they were ever exported outside of Japan, but I may be mistaken.

The guitarist for nu-metal shit factory Coal Chamber had a signature model SGV. I remember seeing ads for those in Guitar World, so my guess is those might have made it over, though I've never seen the actual guitars in stores or on eBay. (They probably sold three of 'em - which is three too many.)

Wow, I'm definitely looking forward to that Los Kahunas eleki EP!

And +1 on the Sharp Five - "Golden Guitar," "Haru No Umi," "Tuiteoide," "Driving Blues," "Chidori No Kyoku" ... oh man.

-Warren

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

What would be really cool is a quality comp of current Western World surf bands doing 60's eleki covers.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

CaptainSpringfield

zak
I don't think they were ever exported outside of Japan, but I may be mistaken.

The guitarist for nu-metal shit factory Coal Chamber had a signature model SGV. I remember seeing ads for those in Guitar World, so my guess is those might have made it over, though I've never seen the actual guitars in stores or on eBay. (They probably sold three of 'em - which is three too many.)

Wow, I'm definitely looking forward to that Los Kahunas eleki EP!

And +1 on the Sharp Five - "Golden Guitar," "Haru No Umi," "Tuiteoide," "Driving Blues," "Chidori No Kyoku" ... oh man.

-Warren

thanks for your ineterest ! we are planning to record it in december - january and release it in april 2009

talking about endorsements, this guys are cool and endorsed by yamaha too, the Invisible men

Nice Big Papu! Can't wait to hear the Eleki EP. We do Takeshi Terauchi's Black Carnation. Its kinda tough on a Jazzmaster with heavy flats Laughing

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Just as Zak said, rising the pups adds much to the tone. It's still clean and bright but has more character, a subtle woody kind of vibe when played clean. I had to replace the foam under the pups as it had become compressed. I used pipe insulation to make new pads.

old pads -> new pads

Ruhar
Nice Big Papu! Can't wait to hear the Eleki EP. We do Takeshi Terauchi's Black Carnation. Its kinda tough on a Jazzmaster with heavy flats Laughing

yep, heavy flat strings aren´t the best choice for eleki, but I even prefer them over the roundwounds

Do these sound like Mosrite?

-Kyle

Beyond The Surf YouTube channel
Beyond The Surf Instagram
The Verbtones @ Instagram
The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009 19:34:35

zak

diceophonic

Not quite, BUT it is definitely closer to Mosrite territory than Fender.

I'm on the hunt now!!! thanks for the juice Zak

-Kyle

The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

diceophonic

zak

diceophonic

Not quite, BUT it is definitely closer to Mosrite territory than Fender.

I'm on the hunt now!!! thanks for the juice Zak

I'm intrigued by these as well. But lately I've been loving my Hallmarks. We played with Deke Dickerson on Saturday night and halfway through our set I was wishing that I had strapped on my Swept-Wing instead of my Jaguar...guess I could've - just didn't want to do another mid-set swap. But back on track, yes these Yamahas look great!

There is a Black SGV 300 w/ case on ebay - brand new- $425 search "yamaha SGV"

I'm tempted....please someone - buy it before I do. i don't need another guitar.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Sonichris

I'm tempted....please someone - buy it before I do. i don't need another guitar.

DO IT MAN Rock

-Kyle

The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

Sonichris

I wish I wouldnt have heard this I am supposed to buy a set of drums on thursday, (Thanks alot!!) now I'm having second thoughts Confused I really want one of these SGVs. Ill probably still get the drums, but this is very tempting!

Somebody... Anybody... Please buy now... Laughing

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009 19:36:23

zak
Black is the least common finish. It wasn't even in the catalogs...if I didn't already have my SGV-300 (and if the seller was willing to ship outside of the US) I'd be all over this one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=220284565740&Category=33049

I really didnt need to hear this! Confused

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 519 20 Next