Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
3 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Must...buy...Yamaha SGV

Goto Page: Previous 1 216 17 18 19 20 Next

No Cry Dead

Squink Out!

JObeast wrote:

No Cry Dead

Dont wanna sell it either((((

Waikiki Makaki surf-rock band from Ukraine

New Single is out!

https://waikikimakaki.bandcamp.com/album/rhino-blues-full-contact-surf-single

Waikiki Makaki

https://linktr.ee/waikikimakaki

Lost Diver

https://lostdiver.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/vitaly-yakushin

Argh Mad

Squink Out!

There are very few of these guitars for sale online, or other desirable Japanese gonzo axes like the Guyatone Sharp 5. The ones that are for sale are fetching high prices, and they've gone up recently.
Does this not present an opportunity for Yamaha to bust out their old templates and do another run of the SGV 300 & 800? These guitars seem to be highly regarded all around and not just in a surf music niche. I guess this begs the question: what is the guitar market like these days? It seems retro is in fashion, but not futuristic zoomie retro. Of course there are all the Fender and Gibson resissues and knockoffs. Eastwood is doing a lot of Chinese manufacture of old designs, but I would say they look and feel Chinese.
Why is there so little Japanese presence in the US guitar market? Have the Chinese and Koreans pushed them out?

Squink Out!

JObeast wrote:

There are very few of these guitars for sale online, or other desirable Japanese gonzo axes like the Guyatone Sharp 5. The ones that are for sale are fetching high prices, and they've gone up recently.
Does this not present an opportunity for Yamaha to bust out their old templates and do another run of the SGV 300 & 800? These guitars seem to be highly regarded all around and not just in a surf music niche. I guess this begs the question: what is the guitar market like these days? It seems retro is in fashion, but not futuristic zoomie retro. Of course there are all the Fender and Gibson resissues and knockoffs. Eastwood is doing a lot of Chinese manufacture of old designs, but I would say they look and feel Chinese.
Why is there so little Japanese presence in the US guitar market? Have the Chinese and Koreans pushed them out?

I read this recently. If a music store in Japan figures they can sell a discontinued model, they can order a batch from the factory in whatever specs they choose no problem. It's just business.

The market is all over the place and used prices don't make any sense. How come I can buy a brand new 2014 Fender Am Std Strat for £900 GBP or pay £750 for a used 1997 Am Std Strat? I begrudgingly bought one for £600, the guys with used Japanese Strats are trying push upwards of £550!

Looks like the SGV is the guitar choice of time lords!

To Jake: Doctor Who (if you don't already know) the series has begun in spectacular style.

Crumb,
Where did you get that picture?

Squink Out!

JObeast wrote:

Crumb,
Where did you get that picture?

It's a screen shot from the Doctor Who TV series.
Series 9: 1. The Magician's Apprentice.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015 04:28:13

I like the reaction shot of the axe-weilding barbarian to the Doctor's riffing.
So the Doctor seems to have a real relationship with his SGV 300. Another side of his complexity is revealed. I've wanted to play a surf version of Delia Derbyshire's original theme. It sounds like the Doctor was doing a metal chordal version there.
I know someone who lives in Japan, a guitar maker actually, who might help me find one in a shop. I gotto call on him in my time of need.

Squink Out!

JObeast wrote:

So the Doctor seems to have a real relationship with his SGV 300. Another side of his complexity is revealed. I've wanted to play a surf version of Delia Derbyshire's original theme. It sounds like the Doctor was doing a metal chordal version there.
I know someone who lives in Japan, a guitar maker actually, who might help me find one in a shop. I gotto call on him in my time of need.

I'm not so familiar with SGV's that I know model types so I've captured another screen shot from the BBC iPlayer for you to confirm. Yes the Doctor Who theme can be played on guitar, I know because I 've seen people do it on youtube but as far as I'm aware no one has ever done a surf version and I've looked fairly deeply too.

PS. There's a mint condition 800 in blue on eBay(Illinois) £649 +

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015 08:15:25

Very Cool! The sgv 800 get the love it deserve.
This post made me watch the episode. First time I watch Doctor Who, it seems great. But I understood nothing, bad idea to begin with the new season^^

http://noskons.bandcamp.com/

Frelonvert wrote:

Very Cool! The sgv 800 get the love it deserve.
This post made me watch the episode. First time I watch Doctor Who, it seems great. But I understood nothing, bad idea to begin with the new season^^

Me too! I never know what the Doctor Who episodes are about and I've been watching since 1963 ! Big Grin

Dr. Who with an SGV? That's really cool! Smile

Every word is like an unecessary stain on silence and nothingness.

spy wrote:

Dr. Who with an SGV? That's really cool! Smile

He also has a Fender Mustang amp and a tank! (Challenger 2 tank I think?).

I 've seen people do it on youtube but as far as I'm aware no one has ever done a surf version and I've looked fairly deeply too.

This is the best I found:

Dr Who theme Dick Dale surf style. 1962 fender jaguar.

The Blue SGV 800 will be mine! It's even in Illinois - might go pick it up cash in hand!!!
crumble wrote:

JObeast wrote:

I'm not so familiar with SGV's that I know model types so I've captured another screen shot from the BBC iPlayer for you to confirm. Yes the Doctor Who theme can be played on guitar, I know because I 've seen people do it on youtube but as far as I'm aware no one has ever done a surf version and I've looked fairly deeply too.

PS. There's a mint condition 800 in blue on eBay(Illinois) £649 +

Squink Out!

It's amazing that one shows up on ebay 40 miles away – but with no obvious option to make local pickup. I;ll be damned if I'll pay shipping that I don't want when I have cash in hand. I left messages for the dealer to contact me. He has an extensive collection at his ebay store so he relies on ebay for his marketing. I should not then expect him to contravene their rules by making a cash deal outside Paypal and avoiding their fees. But it would be stupid to pay $30 to ship it across the county when I can get there to pick it up in an hour.

Squink Out!

Stoked!!
The seller called me and I will meet him cash in hand to purchase the SGV 800 tomorrow night!
Things are working out marvelously since I got my insurance settlement.

Squink Out!

I admire your patience and bargaining instincts, if it was me I'd probably wake up in a cold sweat in the middle of the night and hit the BIN button! I think you can adjust the cart price can't you?

Anywho I hope you can get it without any fuss and it meets requirements, you deserve a nice treat.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015 18:49:43

Thanks, Crumbly One,for alerting me to the newly-listed SGV. I was so passionate about it that the guy called me to arrange a meeting. Now I have to fuss with finding a suitable case. Did someone say lefty Strat cases fit?
I feel like celebrating now that I will be spending the remainder of my insurance money on the guitar of recent ambition. I hope I bond with it as well as I am with the Mosrite I got the other week (very, very nicely).

Squink Out!

Goto Page: Previous 1 216 17 18 19 20 Next